Did They Really Just Play That?

Apart from My Gen which used to air on KQ, they never play anything from the 90’s. Hope this isn’t a sign of things to come.

Community radio 3RRR Melbourne currently playing Simple Minds’s “Alive And Kicking”.

Not something I’d be expecting a major metro community station to be playing.

2 Likes

Good song. Simple Minds used to get a lot if airplay on FM in the 80s and 90s but unfortunately they are often ignored these days, apart from “Don’t You Forget About Me”.
Absolute 80s and even the main Absolute FM station still play them a lot. I heard “Belfast Child” the other day.

1 Like

I still hear tracks like “Love Song” and “Promised You A Miracle” on stations such as WSFM in Sydney.

1 Like

3RRR (and PBS for that matter) don’t have formal playlists like fBi does, so the DJs are free to throw in the odd guilty pleasure.

3 Likes

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn was played in full on MMM Classic Rock Digital today :+1:

5 Likes

just heard numbers by Kraftwerk on kinderling

1 Like

ABC by Jackson 5 should be on their playlist then too?

1 Like

have not heard ABC on it but i’m sick of hearing take on me by A-ha on it

2 Likes

Full marks to the bloke on 2RES last night for playing a large excerpt of Billy Birmingham’s masterpiece The Final Dig :+1:.

3 Likes

At the moment on KIIS106.5 Sydney (a station that I don’t listen to very often), they are running a countdown on the best movie soundtrack songs “ever” made.

Some interesting seemingly ‘out of format’ songs heard since 5pm today:

Grease Lightning - John Travolta
Don’t You Forget About Me - Simple Minds
Power Of Love - Huey Lewis & The News
I’ve Had The Time Of My Life - Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins

2 Likes

Part of the station’s KIIStory show - heard this on KIIS Melbourne and thought someone had flicked a switch at Mt. Dandenong, until I had the unfortunate pleasure of hearing Craig ‘Lowie’ Low “live” from LA

2 Likes

I just have not met you yet. Micheal Buble on 2ch. Very smooth like song.

1 Like

Haven’t Met You Yet by Michael Buble isn’t just a very Smooth 95.3 song…that is Smooth 95.3’s song! :wink:

You might remember that from Smooth 95.3’s launch TVC which is still airing today (albeit in a slightly modified version)!

1 Like

Haha. Yeah maybe they stop 2ch playing it :grinning:. Trademark violation.

So young Jo Jo Zep and Falcons. HHH fm. Never heard it before. Not bad.

1 Like

Mountain - Chocolate Starfish just now on Greatist Hits MMM.

I know it probably gets played around the traps… but honestly personally haven’t heard it since the 90s.

2 Likes

2DayFM - House of Love by East 17.

It forced me to turn the radio up. Right up.

3 Likes

According to Online Radio Box, at around 5:45pm yesterday, WS played “Hello” by Adele, which only came out 2 years ago! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

In the old days (80s) it was not unusual for new songs to be played on classic hit stations.

4 Likes