Did They Really Just Play That?

“Dock of the Bay” Michael Bolton remake from 1988. On The Breeze this morning.Known for his mullet hairstyle ,so 80s

It could have been worse… They could have played “How Am I Supposed To Live Without You?”

2 Likes

Yes I agree,I hate that song

1 Like

Just played on WSFM Sydney

Kiss Kiss - Holly Valance

And THIS is supposed to be Pure Gold ? :worried:

2 Likes

Haha I was surprised to hear that too. Followed straight after with some nice and safe Bob Seger.

94.9 Power FM is currently playing “Another One Bites The Dust” by Queen. I never would have expected the station to play any Queen song, let alone “Another One Bites The Dust”!

Aerosmith- I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing on Rebel FM now. What a shocker- had to quickly find the mute button.

1 Like

Prince- Purple Rain on the Ms yesterday, just after 1800. I know it has the gee-tar thang going on, but it’s still out of place on the 'Ome of Rawk, Spawt 'N Komedy.

Triple M in Sydney (at least) has been playing a fair amount of ‘non-rock’ tracks of late, perhaps as part of their “Whatever, Whenever” tagline. I remember a few weeks back, I heard them play “Message To My Girl” by Split Enz, as well as “St Elmo’s Fire (Man in Motion)” by John Parr. I can understand them playing those type of songs on Triple M in Brisbane as part of their “Cold 30” that they do at nights, but in Sydney, especially with the presence of Smooth & a Pure Gold (WS) station on the FM band, that’s a different story.

“Radioactive” - Imagine Dragons
"I Touch Myself" - Divinyls

I have heard these two songs on Triple M Sydney numerous times before, however I still don’t understand why the station continues to play them. They’re not exactly rock songs…

On a much lighter note, I was surprised to hear this on Monday morning (on the same station).

“Come Together” - The Beatles

I have never heard a commercial FM station play a Beatles song before, so it was a pleasant surprise to hear this being played at 9am. :slight_smile:

The Beatles used to be played a lot on the commercial FM stations, particularly on 2WS/WSFM (& also Wave FM at your part of the world ;)). These days, you’re more likely to hear the occasional Beatles track on Triple M & Smooth rather than on WS! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Another song that Triple M is playing right now that definitely indicates a change in music focus (they wouldn’t have played this 6 months ago) is:

Drops Of Jupiter - Train

That’s a WS staple these days, and gets played on Easy Radio on DAB+.

You’re more likely to get real (albeit old) rock on Classic Rock Digital than on the main Triple M station these days. Likewise for Triple M Modern Rock Digital, which is available on DAB+ in Adelaide (was also available in Perth before it was dropped in favour of Easy Radio), and can be heard online.

Apart from Triple M & Smooth, I believe 2ST and 92.7 Bay & Basin FM play tracks by The Beatles on the odd occasion, although i’m not entirely sure on that one. I have heard “Here Comes The Sun” on 2ST a few times before, but that’s not really a good indication as to whether The Beatles are played on the station on a regular basis.

The Beatles does get played quite regularly on 2ST, along with plenty of 60s & 70s music that the Sydney/Wollongong/Central Coast commercial FM stations don’t touch anymore. Personally, I’m quite lucky to get 2ST loud & clear via 102.9 from Bowral at my home near Campbelltown. :slight_smile:

Re “Drops of Jupiter” on Triple M, I just now seemed to recall that they played that song when it first came out back in 2001, back when they had a modern rock format after Nova 96.9 had launched.

1 Like

and on Rebel FM

Steve Miller Band- Abracadabra on Smooth the other day. Pleasantly surprised, but a bit odd all the same :).

1 Like

Smooth has been playing quite a number of ‘classic hit’ tracks that’s a bit out there for what is meant to be a Soft AC station over the last few months, such as from the likes of (the late great) David Bowie, which includes “Starman”, “Life On Mars?”, “China Girl” & “Let’s Dance”.

Still, at least Smooth is generally a better listen than WS if you don’t want to hear the likes of Pink (in fact, WS plays more Pink than Pink Floyd these days!) & Avril Lavigne being thrown into the mix. In other words, Smooth is still a true adult music station & is being deservedly rewarded with a #1 FM position in Sydney.

1 Like

WSFM played “Tomorrow Never Knows” by The Beatles at around 11am this morning! :no_mouth:

That was actually part of My Generation that is aired on WS at 10am-12pm Saturdays, as well as on several other stations around Australia in various timeslots.