Deal or No Deal

I’m guessing the contestants are pre-selected and planted in the audience rather than everyone in the audience being eligible to play (as I believe was the case in the original).

Except, this happened to me last weekend… twice. No soft serve available when I went to Maccas. So I ordered some to be delivered on Door Dash from HJ’s, only to have the restaurant call and tell me the machine was broken. :joy:

I agree. The less chat the better. Just get on with the game. As much as I don’t really like Grant, at least this format keeps the inane chat to a minimum.

4 Likes

I doubt anyone was ever randomly picked to play. There are auditions involved when you compete on a game show. The contestants would be in the audience for recordings of other shows that day.

I heard Grant say on radio this week that they use a section of the audience as case openers and the section changes with each contestant. That way everyone has a go at being part of the show.

1 Like

Actually enjoyed the reboot of Deal or No Deal - although some interesting stylistic choices.

Using the US theme music opposed to the Dutch one (which is closer to the Australian theme but I guess they don’t want to use it because it’s associated with the Channel 7 version).

Set looks good - the energy from everyone in the studio is great. I can see myself watching it on 10Play now and then.

6 Likes

First episode was way too much for me but the other episodes I’ve flicked over a few times to see what’s happening - mainly when things are on the news I don’t want the kids to see.

2 Likes

The first episode was a bit over the top but the rest of the week seemed to get better and a bit more toned down.

Interesting point you raise about the news- I do actually think this will help DoND build an audience over tie especially with families given that there are some pretty heavy subjects on the news (especially lately) and I can see some parents looking for a more family-friendly alternative.

2 Likes

Looks very similar to what Channel Seven had - especially the large orange doors at the back of the set.

Makes me wonder - were they recycled from the Seven iteration, albeit with the logo change?

1 Like

I reckon this should be the way Ten market the show (i.e. a family friendly alternative to the doom and gloom of the 6.00 news).
Think they may have done something similar with Family Feud.

1 Like

Grant has been saying this in all press. For me, children aren’t going to watch Deal, where they might have been more likely to with Family Feud or Celeb Name Game. I get what 10 is saying about lighter-viewing to news, but I don’t think children are an audience of Deal. That doesn’t make Deal wrong for the 6pm slot, it’s just an odd way to pitch it IMO.

3 Likes

I don’t think the idea so much is that it’s something that will necessarily appeal to kids (but some might find it interesting), but it’s something that the adults can put on with the kids around and not have to worry about the content.

1 Like

That’s why the argument 10 made a mistake not putting it on at 5pm is a non-starter.

I used to be a bit of a news junkie - probably watched two or three bulletins a day and defaulted to 24 hour news if there was nothing on but a few years ago I just cut it out TV wise - I barely watch a bulletin a week now. A radio update suffices, and of course social media throws the big stories at you anyway.

I think though the problem 10 have as presenting it as a news alternative is you then follow it with a news based panel show.

3 Likes

I agree, having it wedged between the 5pm news and The Project is a bit awkward, doesn’t really flow well.

I’d like to see them try something else at 6:30pm, while The Project has rated decently for them over the years the format is getting tired and the program itself quite divisive at times. Maybe keep it as a once a week show on Sundays with a focus on bigger stories over the week and not trying to find something to talk about every day.

5 Likes

I taped the first episode on Monday and watched it last night. While I found the chant “Bali, boat and Pies” a bit repetitive, I think the rest of the episode was alright.

1 Like

Big winner tonight on the deal.

5 Likes

Awesome win today. Really loving this show, been watching every episode.

5 Likes

A fun and enjoyable light-entertainment program and well-received here

2 Likes

If i had a nickel for every time someone on the new Deal or No Deal had the top two cases as the final two cases, I’d have two nickels … which isn’t much but it’s weird that it happened twice.

4 Likes

Where would you find a nickel?

Where is 10 getting all the prize money from? :thinking::crazy_face:

1 Like

10 has taken out a banner advertisement on the front page of today’s News Corp papers, to promote the show’s “win a share of $100K” viewer competition.

7 Likes