Darwin Shooting

Looks like Nine News were able to utilise a reporter from their Darwin local news service.

Seven News used the services of Sky News’s Darwin correspondent.

Not sure about 10, ABC or SBS.

I must be an insomniac tonight

1 Like

10 mentioned this a breaking news during The Project and then proceeded to show pre-recorded updates from 5pm during the subsequent evenings programming.

Nine Perth reporter Michael Genovese is reporting from Darwin along with police reporter Rosanna Kingsun on Nine Early News/Today this morning.

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

10 this morning from Darwin

4 Likes

4 Likes

Taken from The West Australian newspaper

1 Like

Nine and 10 spoke to the same victim regarding the incident live, unsure about Seven.

Studio 10 is live in Darwin with Nathan Brooks

1 Like

Nine are doing a Darwin only morning news live into the NT at 11.30 this morning. Very comprehensive.

7 Likes

And yet 7 still leads with George Pell on the morning news. Crazy.

1 Like

Why crazy? That was the big breaking news of the morning. The Darwin incident, while a big news story, had been covered throughout the morning up to that point. Was there anything new to add to it seventeen hours after the event?

10 Likes

Interesting that Perth reporters from 7, 9 and 10 were all sent up, not that that is a bad thing. Good use of resources.

1 Like

4 Likes

Yikes.

2 Likes

My reaction to that CNN headline in one emoticon: :roll_eyes:

While it’s probably impossible to completely stop mass shootings from ever happening again, I’d personally rather live in Australia where our strict gun ownership rules at least makes them rare events rather than the United States where mass shootings seem to happen frequently.

6 Likes

Weekly, if not daily.

5 Likes

There’s always going to be shootings and I think cnn was just trying to make that point. . Australia thought it was immune to any kind of shooting just because of the gun amnesty after the port Arthur massacre . We have had the Lindt cafe siege and the victor Chang shooting. Don’t forget the criminal shootings that have happened over years. Shootings happen everywhere.

There was nothing breaking about it… It was a mere formality. Something that has been coming for months.

And the names of the accused, victims, why, how etc is still all emerging regarding Darwin and that is almost 24 hours on.

The vision of Pell being led into the court was certainly a revelation considering he was still wearing his priest robes and collar. It was a story that was current, the appeal has been highly anticipated and it was happening at the time the bulletin was airing. If the conviction is overturned it will make world news. I don’t know how you could possibly call his court appearance a “mere formality”.

I don’t believe that new information was emerging at the time the morning news was going to air. The report that aired simply recapped the events of the previous evening and information that had been covered on breakfast television. The only new information was a snippet from a morning news conference that divulged the gunman was looking for certain people.

I actually find it refreshing that Seven didn’t go down the sensationalist route and breathlessly regurgitate the same information that had been airing all morning.

5 Likes