Dancing with the Stars

Don’t worry. With the ratings it’s getting at the moment, I’m sure that Seven will eventually axe The X Factor. Either this season or the next will probably be the last IMO.

As for the possibility of another network picking up Dancing With The Stars, I’d say probably slim to none. Nine won’t risk getting burnt in the ratings Australia’s Got Talent-style again (at least I’d hope not after the ratings of AGT this year) and DWTS isn’t the sort of program that Ten would air - not their demographic and all the rest.

1 Like

It will be snapped up by another network for sure, whether it will be a smart pickup and rate is another question. I think if ten are desperate enough to revive the biggest loser anything can happen.

I think it still has life, or atleast more of a chance than whatever they will replace it with. The show has been brought back from the brink more than once before and could do it again. But only 7 can make it work, as soon as it moves it will be tarred as another networks table scraps. A good 18 months off could be all it needed to recharge.

Ten doesn’t seem to do that these days. They seem to want to try new things rather than pick up failing concepts. If anyone tries it, my money is on Nine. However, after they were burnt by Australia’s Got Talent, they might not risk it again.

3 Likes

My worst prediction is about to come true. As discussed in Nine Network 2017 thread, Nine will pick up the rights to DWTS in order to revive Sonia Kruger’s career.

1 Like

The more they keep picking up old and tired formats and try to revive them, the more they look like a has-been station.

They’re basically copying Ten’s agenda from a few years back where they would keep trying to take shows abandoned by other networks and try to revive them, with little or no success, rather than try something completely new. Ten does so much better these days when they go for completely new formats. Survivor might be the exception, but many years have passed since the failed formats ran on Nine and Seven.

The thing I don’t understand is that, Seven rejected it because it was failing in total viewers and skewed way too old so was terrible in demographics. So why would Nine want it?

2 Likes

People will probably have a go at me for saying this, but after looking at what effectively is a cringefest…I mean the promo for Dance Boss, I’m actually thinking that Seven should’ve revived DWTS. I personally enjoyed the show for all the years its been on, surely it would be better than whatever Seven is airing later this year?

4 Likes

I think they ran out of “stars”

I liked the show too.

The format of the show is dated, IMO.

In saying that, I highly doubt Dance Boss will be renewed in 2019. As @Tom_TV7 said, it would have been better to refresh DWTS because at least it has an established brand.

1 Like

A lot depends on the casting. If they can get contestants with huge personalities, it might work.

Used to get good total peoples but was an under-performer in the advertiser-friendly demographics. The grand final in 2015 had 883,000 and ranked 8th for the night but was beaten by a regular episode of The Great Australian Spelling Bee in the demos.

1 Like

There is an article in today’s Herald Sun that Ten could be interested in reviving DWTS, given it is still running in the US and New Zealand. The lack of celebrity interest here could count against it though.
Here is the article from today’s print edition (it’s not available on the paper’s website)

2 Likes

Bad idea if true, they already have the Celebrity genre tied up with I’m a Celebrity but it doesn’t hurt to keep people guessing right.

Indeed. Remember how Ash Pollard featured on the last season? She is by no means a ‘star’ of any sort other than being a nagger on MKR.

1 Like

Always plenty of unknown ‘celebrities’ :roll_eyes:who are desperate enough for another 5 minutes of fame and money.

But the Z grade celebrities is what turns viewers off shows like this.

The show went south after Daniel MacPherson left. You need a good male host

2 Likes

It was a top rater at the mid-late 2000s peak for Seven, but gradually declined over the years and by the last few seasons, the show was less “Dancing with the Stars” and more “Dancing with People You’ve Vaguely Heard of in the Media” as far as the contestant choices were concerned!

My advice to the Australian commercial networks would be to not dig the show up from it’s grave and continue looking for a bold, innovative programing format that will actually get the public excited about watching TV again.

2 Likes

Is this the project Ten has suggested to Stephen Quartermain?? :smiley:

5 Likes

I believe the term that broadcasters prefer is “reality star”

5 Likes

Lol