Cricket

Sunday - the venue will be decided on Friday.

And it looks like my Sunday afternoon has now cleared itself up. Reckon it would have been different if Hurricanes had been chasing, they’re shocking batting first. George Bailey looks to have dislocated his shoulder too, hopefully that’s alright.

1 Like

My apologies for wrong date. (Cuz Ive had a slightly tough week)

All good, thought it was just a brain fart/typo thing. Hope things aren’t too bad for you and the week/weekend improves.

2 Likes

The minor premiers curse continues in the BBL. Hobart became the sixth team to finish first on the ladder but failed to reach the final.
For his first appearance on Seven’s BBL telecast this season, Tim Paine did a good job providing analysis.

1 Like

BBL02 - Melbourne Renegades finished on top, beaten by Brisbane Heat in semis at Docklands.
BBL03 - Melbourne Stars finished on top (being unbeaten after 8 games), beaten by Hurricanes in the semis at MCG.
BBL04 - Adelaide Strikers finished on top, lost to Sydney Sixers in the Semis at Adelaide Oval.
BBL05 - Adelaide Strikers finished on top, lost to Sydney Thunder in the semis at Adelaide Oval.
BBL07 - Perth Scorchers finished on top, lost to Hobart Hurricanes in the semis. (I was at that game at the new stadium last year, and some people have left the game).
BBL08 - Hobart Hurricanes finished on top, lost to Melbourne Stars in the semis in Blundstone Arena.

The Hobart Hurricanes were in blistering form during this season but during the last few games, they started to lose a bit of form.

3 Likes

I would hope they have left the game. It’s been over a year now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But you see, if they stay at the ground, they can see every AFL and cricket match without having to buy extra tickets to get back in :smile:

Come to think of it, tbey’d effectively be living there, so they save on rent too!

1 Like

Stars are in the final? Hooray. Might start watching again and turn up.

Might be a derby

I really got into the past couple of years particularly, but really became alienated by the exclusivity and prolonged season and found it very hard to stay connected this summer, in all honesty

1 Like

Pity its played at the Marvel (not the MCG) or the SCG

Great ideas - fully agree - although keep the Strikers at home on Dec 31.

Not sure about the week’s break - this seems to run counter to tightening up the season timeline… plus I’m not sure of the value of jettisoning the Internationals in - as Tim Payne said last night - that doesn’t seem fair to the guys who have played all season to get them there.

I would still like to know the rules and agreement from the players association on the required breaks CA must give each team between games.

I have been hearing that the game might be moved to the MCG if the renegades win

1 Like

That’s good to hear. I would go if I didn’t have an exam the next day.

Better let the MCC know in that case.

1 Like

You’ve heard wrong because it has already been annohnced that there will be no change.

I’m not usually a betting man but I think Melbourne will win the BBL this year.

1 Like

What a great win by the Renegades tonight. The Sydney Sixers flew out of the blocks thanks to Daniel Hughes and Josh Phillipe and with seven overs to go a score of 200+ seemed possible. But Renegades bowlers fought back to keep the Sixers to just 3/180. The Renegades stayed close to the required run rate with contributions from Aaron Finch, Sam Harper, Cameron White and Dan Christian, and won with one ball to spare.
It sets up now for the all-Melbourne final at Marvel Stadium on Sunday afternoon between the Renegades and the Stars.

2 Likes

A Melbourne Derby Final. Two teams that have never won a BBL Title. Melbourne Stars have appeared in BBL05 Final, while Melbourne Renegades have never played in a final. Who wins?

• Melbourne Stars
  • Melbourne Renegades

0 voters

It’d be embarrassing had they moved it and then the inevitable crowd of less than 40k shows up.

Marvel won’t sell out - these semi-finals needed to be earlier in the week so more people could plan ahead, not need to make the decision the day before to buy the tickets to go along.

Even though I’m in NSW, I’m pleased that it will be an all Melbourne final.

It will mean that a 6th team will win the title for the first time in just 8 seasons (with only the Stars, Renegades and Hurricanes having never won it before).

1 Like