Cricket

New Zealand today achieved what the Aussies had not been able to do this year: winning a test series against Pakistan in United Arab Emirates. The Black Caps beat the home side by 123 runs in Abu Dhabi on the final day of third test, to claim the series 2-1. NZ’s win was set up by a fifth-wicket partnership of 212 between captain Kane Williamson (player of the match) and Henry Nicholls during the second innings. During this test, Pakistani spinner Yasir Shah became the fastest bowler in history to pick up 200 test wickets, breaking a 82-year record set by Australian leg spinner Clarrie Grimmett. Grimmett reached 200 wicket milestone in his 36th test, Shah broke the record in his 33rd test. Shah was named player of the series.

25,693 to be exact. CA will be hoping for a bigger crowd this weekend with cooler weather, however the total closure of Adelaide’s suburban rail network (to allow the relocation of rail control centre from the CBD to Dry Creek in the northern suburbs) at the same time will have a big impact on traffic around Adelaide Oval.

3 Likes

Anyone going to the WBBL in North Sydney?

Tonight’s crowd at Adelaide Oval: 30,182, huge improvement over the past two days.

Another piss-poor crowd in the city of churches this morning…

I wonder what the excuse is this time…?

Church?

3 Likes

Yes, so they can pray for more rain to help stop India from winning this Test.

Calm down 30k yesterday was really good.

Australia won’t win but I hope they make some changes to the batting order. Move Finch from 1 to 3. Move either Kuwaja or Head in to open.

They won’t do it though.

216 to win, 6 in hand…I’m a little more optimistic but we need to be about 5/215 at lunch to have a real sniff.

2 Likes

Australia will resume for 4/104 on day 5. I think that will play out to a draw. the crowd numbers will be low e.g. 14k.

Unless rain intervenes I can’t see there being no result in this match.

3 Likes

Tomorrow will be sunny.

In that case there’ll be a winner. Probably India, unless Marsh and Head knuckle down for a big partnership.

1 Like

There will be no draw and I don’t think Australia stand a chance.

1 Like

There is still a very slim chance (<5%) of an Australian victory; it will be interesting to see how India respond if Head and Shaun ‘Zombie’ Marsh take it to within 100 to win. I hope they lose comfortably though as a victory will be like sandpapering over the fractured fault lines in the batting (groan).

I think it’s a gold coin entry for Day 5 this summer too, so it would be worth going today if you’re able to.

I agree, Sportsbet had Australia at $9 to win earlier this morning.

Very appropriate.

We know how adept they are with that :smile:

Wow Australia have done a great job to even take it this far.

3 Likes

In the end India won by 31 runs. Pujara was the difference between the two teams, he scored 123 and 71 to claim player of the match award. Pant equalled the world record for most catches in a test (11).
Australia’s top order failed to fire throughout the test so a reshuffle is likely for the next test in Perth starting this Friday. Shaun Marsh’s 60 in the second innings should ensure him staying in the test squad.

1 Like

Nah I think they’ll be given one more chance. A lot of them showed good signs but they couldn’t kick on.

1 Like

I think you are right but I don’t think Finch is right at number 1. I also think Maxwell should be added.