Cricket

Isn’t Big Bash a Family event? Can’t the whole family go?

He is entitled to his opinion as you are too. I don’t believe God exists either. But its not an argument for this thread.

It too agree. I can’t see harm in having sports on religious holidays. I have no problem with cricket on these holidays. Some will go and it will provide me something to watch at nights so I don’t need to listen to my drunk Uncle.

2 Likes

I know I’ve spent some Christmas Days wishing there was the Big Bash on however I do actually like the fact that there’s been a couple of days in the year where everything does shutdown. It makes a different style of pace which is good to have at times from all the rush the rest of the year.

As a Christian too though, I would say Good Friday is the one with more religious significance so while I would support games on Christmas, the Good Friday ones won’t ever get support from me but I can understand why they do it.

I have no issues with sport being played on Good Friday. Hell I still eat meat on Good Friday , I do believe there is a but I don’t follow any specific religious teachings though. I wouldn’t mind seeing Christmas Day ruined with sport, it will give me something to do other than spend it with my family. :stuck_out_tongue:

And fair enough And, everyone is entitled to their beliefs. I respect yours. I think the problem I have though is that not everyone doesn’t celebrate the religious holidays so it should be respectful to those who do.

3 Likes

I agree, being the multicultural society that we are now in Australia, not everyone celebrates Christmas and not everyone spends it with family or has a family to go and see.

If they do proceed with BBL on Christmas Day, it will be interesting to see what the attendances will be like.

1 Like

Make it a charity occasion. Feed the homeless on Christmas, give tickets away to underprivileged kids/families. Get into the Christmas spirit.

9 Likes

Great idea to be charitable. I think tickets should be cheap and all proceeds go to homeless charities if there’s a game on Christmas Day.

Unfortunately, we all know that Cricket Australia loves money more than anything.

5 Likes

So do I, just don’t tell my mum. Not for this topic - but that’s from a Catholic background and they do/don’t do a lot of other stuff that the others don’t.

Yeah, for sure. The world has changed and as long as people aren’t just trying to be offensive for the sake of being offensive then compromises can happen and things can evolve. I would still like to see it stay clear from the whole having everything just stop for a couple of days a year as I think the world needs a bit more of that. I think mental health and all sorts of things have become so much worse since the moves and advances in technology with everything being a 24/7 world. Sorry that doesn’t make much sense.

The only way I can really describe it is there’s a couple of days in the year where it’s like rebooting the computer, it’s happened, there’s nothing you can do but sit and wait and it’s a chance to be thrown out from the usual busyness and be forced to have a little break when everyone else is in the same boat.

1 Like

Ha. Ha. Ha ha ha.

This is Cricket Australia we are talking about. Won’t happen. Lest they are forced to in an equivalent to slut shaming.

The only “spirit” they will be into is the amount of spirits that they can sell at the game.

3 Likes

Free sandpaper for the Salvos?

Adelaide Strikers’ WBBL home game against Melbourne Renegades will be played at Ballarat’s Eastern Oval on Sunday afternoon, December 9, as part of a new partnership between the Renegades and the City of Ballarat. The match will be streamed live on Cricket Australia website.

Whilst I don’t watch any Big Bash (or 20 over cricket for that matter), the move to play on Christmas Day I feel is another death knell for the Public Holiday rather than a death knell for tradition. Once things like that start taking a hold on the community look for people to demand other things either open or happen to make many people work on a day when we should just be enjoying each other’s company.

2 Likes

The Sydney Thunder will host two BBL games and one WBBL match at Canberra’s Manuka Oval this summer, including a WBBL/BBL doubleheader on December 21.

2 Likes

Well there will be Radio coverage of sorts for the upcoming series against Pakistan in the UAE…

1 Like

Can’t see how he’ll turn a profit out of that.

Nine or Ten should try and secure these rights, even if they have to partner up with Foxtel

Where can I propose a cricket format on this site?

here is as good as any place - it better not be my 1One™(r)(patent pending) format

2 Likes

The post you’re responding to was in 2016, the games you’re suggesting they get the rights to were played nearly two years ago.

1 Like

Any Cricket airing abroad really - BUT especially those involving Australia in New Zealand

I didnt see it, so hoping this is different

I was thinking combing test and One Day format to create - Limited Overs Tests

2 innings per side - maximum 25 overs per innings. An example how the schedule of play may run at each venue

Hours of Play

11:15am-1:00pm Innings 1 Team A
1:30pm-3:15pm Innings 1 Team B
3:45pm-5:30pm Innings 2 Team A or Team B (if follow-on enforced)
6:00pm-7:45pm Innings 2 Team B (or Team A if follow-on was enforced)

Half hour break between each session allowing for News or other broadcasts and player rests