Cricket

I was thinking about Langer but heard what they were saying about Gillespie on FSN and could see him too.

Would miss Ponting on the Big Bash coverage but would like to see him develop more coaching skills. Is good to see him so well respected after his wild days in the early years.

James Sutherland to give a press conference in about an hour-hour and a half (12:30 or 1am AEDT).

James Sutherland will speak later today at 12:45 AEDT (3:45PM in Joberg) according to CA Media alert.

He’s coached a title winning IPL team and has been in the Aussie coaching set up in the past. What do you mean?

A seven-week gig with the best players money can buy and one T20 series is not the same as managing three national cricket teams and rolling out complete cultural change accross of Australia’s most prestigous institutions.

Get him to work with a first class side first.

2 Likes

For some reason, I suspect Langer will get it, but I think I’d rather see “Dizzy” Gillespie as coach.

I can see your point but don’t really see the need for ‘a couple years coaching at first class level’ when Ponting knows most of the players inside out. If you listen to his commentary, he is probably the most insightful and articulate when it comes to the ins and outs of cricket. Tim Nielsen didn’t have major coaching experience when he was made Aussie coach in 2007.

A seven-week gig with the best players money can buy and one T20 series

It’s actually been 2 series and it wasn’t even their strongest line up for both.

Anyway, I don’t think he’ll get it due to his media commitments at the moment in Australia and England.

I found it very emotional to watch myself and really feel sorry for him.

1 Like

@blackbox

David Warner faced the media in Sydney this morning and apologised unreservedly for his actions in South Africa one week ago. However, reactions on social media on his message seem to be less positive than those on apologies by Bancroft and Smith.

2 Likes

More questions left than answered.

Also, I think Warner may have unintentionally admitted to ball tampering in the past as well which is very disappointing. I feel for Warner’s family at the moment but don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely feeling no sympathy for Warner himself.

1 Like

I’m getting this kind of vibe from these tearful press conferences:

1 Like

I agree, I have absolutely no sympathy for Warner whatsoever, I’ve never really liked him, and I even kind of enjoyed watching him get out!

I even wonder if he should been given an 18 month ban, since Smith also got 12.

2 Likes

Not a great look to try and avoid answering questions. Whereas Smith’s responses felt genuine and emotional, Warner still looked like he had something to hide.

Also there were some poorly chosen lines in that statement. It doesn’t matter if you always wanted to ‘bring glory to Australia’, that’s not the reason people are mad at you. The public would be happier if you were a good loser than a bad winner.

Clearly, whoever coached him ahead of this presser this made a few errors in judgement. He said on twitter he was following CA protocol. If so, they’ve stitched him up big time.

2 Likes

I just watched the Warner press conference.

The only apology that felt truly sincere and honest was of that to his family. He only really seems to care about them, and no one else much.

2 Likes

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/david-warner-could-call-australia-players-to-the-stands-if-he-challenges-ban-reports/news-story/c48f861955fd34d81a893c9ff490f72f

Veteran journalist David Penberthy told Adelaide radio station FIVEaa he had been told by “senior media and PR circles in Sydney” the Warner camp planned to recoup some of the millions of dollars he will lose during a 12-month cricket ban by selling his story to a commercial station.

“He’s taken a six million dollar hit in terms of his earnings. He can recoup at least a million of that from the Nine network or Seven network.

Surely a network wouldn’t pay that? They couldn’t recoup the cost from advertising revenue. He’s not really well liked so doubt viewers would watch in their droves especially if they find out it’s a paid interview.

1 Like

Without Smith, Warner, Bancroft and the injured Starc, Australia today slumped to a 492-run loss to South Africa in the fourth and final test in Johannesburg, losing the test series 3-1. It is also South Africa’s first test home series win since 1970 against Australia. Who would have thought the series could be so full of drama when the Aussies left our shores in February?

1 Like

4th largest defeat in terms of runs (492 runs) in test match history. What a capitulation since the 1st test.

3 Likes

It’s also Australia’s second-worst defeat of all time and heaviest since the 675-run loss to England in 1928 in Brisbane. Australia has dropped to fourth in ICC test rankings after New Zealand’s nail-biting draw against England in the second and final test in Christchurch this afternoon. NZ is now third in the rankings.

3 Likes

This was the fourth highest win margin in test cricket history.

1 Like