Cricket

From what I understand players need permission from their national boards to participate, hence the fact that there’s very few Pakistan and England players involved.

1 Like

The Seventh-day Adventist Church owned Sanitarium is on the verge of cancelling their sponsorship of Smith, with their public statements being damning of the incident calling it “shameful”. The fear of sponsors like Magellan and the Commonwealth Bank pulling their money should ensure Cricket Australia has a total clean out of those responsible, you would think.

From a company that doesn’t pay tax, this is rich.

4 Likes

Queenslander Matt Renshaw will play in the fourth test against South Africa in Johannesburg. This came where Steve Smith was found guilty for the ball-tampering controversy where he was slapped with a one-match ban.
This will be the first time that Renshaw playing Test match overseas.

2 Likes

Sounds like it will be a “new look” team for the 4th Test with the potential for up to 5 players being sent home and banned for up to a year (Smith, Warner, Bancroft, Hazlewood and Lyon, the last 2 who were also in the leadership group and apparently knew about the ball tampering).

Looks like Glen Maxwell and the forgotten Joe Burns may be joining the squad as well.

Also:

1 Like

3 Likes

They do pay tax, they also operate as a charity for their profits so they are eligible for some tax exemptions e.g. company income tax.
Unlike other corporations like the Commonwealth Bank and others which would certainly do all they can to avoid paying taxes and to minimise their taxes but despite stiffing the government and taxpayer way more than the charities, seem to be allowed to get away with this with no outrage from the people.

The back window of my unit just happens to look over David Warner’s childhood home in Matraville, where he lived until he made his break into professional cricket.

I remember at my primary school (Matraville SS), the best cricket players tended to be the guys who were great at sport but very, very average in terms of intelligence, were fairly aggressive in terms of their play and tactics and usually came from low socioeconomic backgrounds. I think this was particularly pronounced due to the very high Housing Commission rate in the area.

I was thinking that his on-field character really does fit in with what I would expect from a typical cricketer who grew up in Matraville, with all his on-field aggression and antics. I guess everyone was willing to ignore the on-field lack of class and decorum as long as his on-field performance was good. The local community is pretty deflated as a result of all this…

3 Likes

this morning…

2 Likes

Sorry. I should have made that clearer. Yes they do pay tax but largely it’s money laundering with their imaginary friend in the sky the reason.

Yeah, damn those charities and all the good work they do. I’m so sick of the Salvos and the way they help the homeless and give them food and clothing and I hate those groups that look after the elderly, just let them die already.
And Sanitarium and the free food they provide to schools and all the other groups. Why don’t they just turn into a corporation to pay themselves millions of dollars instead. That money would be much better in their pocket than helping others.

I’ll be interested to hear these sanctions. No word about Lehmann this morning, I’m wondering whether he might be sticking around. Tough because if he knew he should be gone and if he didn’t know then how did this happen without him knowing but I’m surprised there was no mention of him in the update there.

1 Like

haven’t read it yet (should be working ) but apparently Boof has kept his job

still - if he didn’t know, then he hasn’t controlled his team…

2 Likes

strong text I cannt understand for the llife of me how Darren Lehman pwoulde not have known whayt happened ti Capetown last weekend.

There’s no doubt in my mind Lehmann knew. But he appears to have been exonerated some what.

This is rather damning though: https://twitter.com/Too_Upfront/status/978377839278833664

Which is probably why they are doing a review of the culture of the team.

The word is that Lehmann will speak tomorrow, although it’s likely the predictable media approved denial lines will answer the questions rather than anything incriminating will come from him.

1 Like

Monday 2 April at 7:30 pm
ABC News Special: Caught Out
When did Australian cricket adopt a win-at-all- costs culture? When did it turn toxic? We investigate what led to the cheating scandal and why Steve Smith, the man with the country’s highest sporting honour, played a key role.

Encore at 11:05pm

1 Like

IN: Matt Renshaw, Glenn Maxwell, Joe Burns

Out: David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Steve Smith (they have all been sent home following the ball tampering controversy)

1 Like