Cricket

Smith is part of that culture, not a victim of it.

This culture has been around a lot longer than Smith has!

Yes but what steps has he taken to address it? He is part of the cycle - his predecessors influenced him and now he is influencing the next generation of players with the same rubbish attitudes. I agree the culture needs to be broken but Smith can’t hide behind something that he is a part of - he is the person in the changing rooms who should have said “there is absolutely no fucking way that we are doing that, don’t even think about it”.

You are right he hasn’t done anything. Because Cricket Australia picks puppets to captain and coach the sides. Hence why they didn’t like Steve Waugh.

And again I am not saying Steve Smith should hide behind them. He must be sanctioned. I just don’t want to see him never play again, like some are asking for. I think he is a wonderful cricketer despite the scandal. Its not like the ball tampering enhanced his batting or fielding. My sympathy is in the pressure he is obviously getting from those higher than him.

Former South African player now commentator Fanie de Villiers suspected something was going on. The television cameras targeted Bancroft.

you got rocsk in ur head thats all im going 2 say

What are you smoking?

Only the good shit

1 Like

Steve smith has relinquished from captain in rajasthan royals following the ball tampering controversy. He will be replaced by Ajinkya Rahane.

In my opinion, this is not just Steve Smith’s fault, it goes up through Darren Lehmann as coach to James Sutherland as CEO and to the ICC, because they have been allowed to get away with too much for too long. Not just things like slow over rates, which they have always been tardy with, but to the sledging and to off field behaviour eg. David Warner.

They are also on highly paid contracts and the penalties should reflect that.

There’s one solution to all of this, especially with Turnbull weighing in on the controversy today but also facing troubles himself with his own job after 29 straight poll losses. Both Turnbull and Smith need to job swap. They both spend all day out on the green carpet/field sledging the other side. Smith can manipulate anything to make the swing the government desperately need in the polls and Turnbull seems to have an ability to spin anything and they both regularly make silly points.

1 Like

Missed this earlier.

4 Likes

The mail from the Republic is that both Smith and Warner are set to receive a ban from 12-18 months which covers next year’s World Cup and Ashes series in England. Bancroft’s penalty is likely to be less severe. All will be known tomorrow (Wednesday) morning our time when investigations are complete.

Personally, I’d have gone with the following

• 12 month ban from all cricket activities, including attending matches as a paying spectator and utilising any facility used by a CA affiliated club/team
  • 24 month ban from International Cricket and from any domestic 20 over league, including IPL and Big Bash (served concurrently)
  • Termination of CA contract
1 Like

They are pretty harsh penalties, which I don’t necessarily disagree with.

A new line needs to be drawn in the sand, and the “culture” of the team needs to be reshaped.

Some heavy punishments like that will make the other players realise they need to be on their best behaviour in all aspects of cricket.

Edit: I doubt Cricket Australia can stop Smith or Warner from playing the in the IPL, as I don’t think they have any jurisdiction over that. The BCCI (Indian board) would need to ban them in that case.

What’s the bet Smith ends up on the new rights-holding TV commentary team this summer?

Oh good god I hope not

1 Like

That idea could easily backfire for whoever that is.

If he’s smart then he will slip away quietly for a year. Let people move past the initial outrage rather than reminding them that you still exist.

Then once the suspension is coming to an end he can mount a comeback with a sobby 60 Minutes interview (better rope the wife/parents in as well for maximum impact) and a series of magazine features that talk about his year of soul-searching, reconnecting with his traditional family roots and how devastated he was by it all (blah blah blah).

2 Likes

This is what will happen. Quiet year then sobbing all over the media, a new book and then a cushy media job.

1 Like

Post on Reddit alleging Lehmann has reportedly resigned.