Cricket

Yeap Tim Paine is captain for the rest of the test

1 Like

Ahh I see. From those roles.

Have only just been able to watch all the footage from last night. Looking at the shot of Lehmann with the walkie talkie, it certainly looks like he’s in on something. Which is really disappointing, if the shots had been Lehmann on the walkie talkie shouting “What the F… did I just see on TV?” then I’d believe that he’s blameless but he looked too calm to be surprised.

Don’t think it should be the coach if he didn’t have anything to do with it.

That hasn’t been proven… yet.

Why do we assume guilt before innocence? Why is our society guilty before being proven innocent. It should be the other way around. Let the investigation happen. Smith has said it was the leadership group. That is all we know. He said it wasn’t the coach. That is all we know. So at the moment Darren Lehman should not step down as coach because he had no part in the incident. If the investigation finds he has then that is a different story.

Lehmann was probably on the walkie talkie ordering another drink and it just happened to coincide with the replay of Bancroft’s dodgy ball shining skills. Nothing to see here.

There’s now a video circulating on Facebook from during the Ashes in January, showing Bancroft pocketing sugar before going back out on the field after lunch. It’s quite clear what he’s doing - there is no doubt that he has taken sugar from a coffee table and pocketed it. What possible reason could any sane person have to do that, other than for tampering with the ball?

It was broadcast on Channel Nine as they were going to a break and showed a shot of the team getting ready to go back on the field. Someone spotted this, and uploaded it to Facebook in January and it didn’t receive much interest at the time, but the number of views and comments on it has erupted in the wake of this ball tampering scandal.

I think that this essentially proves that Steve Smith was lying at the press conference about how this was the first time they ever tampered with the ball, and I think this has been going on for quite a long while. As a result of that, I think that this calls into question every single statement that he made at that press conference - especially his claim that Darren Lehmann was not in on the ball tampering conspiracy.

I actually don’t care to be honest. Not enough to warrant further discussion anyway. But I hope you feel better now getting that off your chest.

This is obviously going to be investigated but it still doesnt mean darren lehmann was in on it. Its not like Darren lehmann gave him the sugar.

4 Likes

The video also incriminates more than just the “leadership group”. Usman Khawaja is standing right there watching Bancroft and Mitchell Stark walks right past as well and doesn’t bat an eyelid (though I think he is part of the “leadership group”?).

I’d even go so far as to suggest that the entire squad is in on it. Certainly if they weren’t involved directly then they would be aware of it which is just as bad.

i agree with hugh !00%

1 Like

STeve smith is found guilty of the controversy and will be suspended from the 4th Test. Meanwhile Cameron Bancroft copped 3 demerit points.

2 Likes

That might be true, but when one thing that someone’s said has turned out to be untrue, you can’t give much credence to the rest of what they say.

Some people called for the forfeiture of the test series to South Africa. I don’t think that would be the best outcome, because usually with these events people have bought tickets in advance and would like to see a game of cricket.

It didn’t really surprise me to wake up this morning and read that Australia has been skittled for just 107, losing the 3rd Test by 322 runs.

Though they were 0/57 at one point, after that they somehow they found a way to lose their 10 wickets for 50.

They obviously were not in any sort of headspace to be playing cricket. Any victory would have been extremely hollow anyway.

Quite fitting for Morne Merkel to get a “five for”, he has always been one of the best behaved cricketers from any country. The Aussies could learn a thing or two from him in how to play the game,

At the moment we dont know what he has said is untrue.

Cricket Australia could reimburse them for the lost tickets.

Whatever, what’s done is done and Smith, Bancroft and probably Lehmann have brought the game into massive disrepute at a critical moment in their TV rights negotiations. Smith is a goner.

Its not just about lost tickets, lost TV revenue as well…

2 Likes

Ball tampering incidents in cricket
Mike Atherton [ENG] v South Africa (1994)
Sachin Tendulkar {IND) v South Africa (2001)
Stuart Broad and Jimmy Anderson {ENG} v South Africa (2010)
Shahid Afridi (PAK) v Australia (ODI) (2010)
Peter Siddle (AUS) v Sri Lanka [Cleared] (2012
Faf du Plessis (SA) v Pakistan (2013)
Vernon Philander (SA) v Sri Lanka (2014)
Faf du Plessis (SA) v Australia (2016)
Cameron Bancroft (AUS) v South Africa (2018)