Cricket

I think it’s the first T20 title of any note that they’ve won…

And for that, they are now ranked #1 in the world, I think they were 7th before this series started… Funny ranking system is this.

1 Like

It’s funny because the sponsor changed from Gilette to a NZ home company when the series changed countries.

1 Like

Pakistan has held on to No.1 world ranking in Twenty20 even after Australia won the tri-series final against NZ last night. Pakistan and Australia both had a rating of 126, but Pakistan played six more matches and accumulated more points.

1 Like

Its like The Rugby Championship which has different sponsors for Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Argentina.

2 Likes

I could not believe what I saw this morning: Cameron Bancroft tampering the ball with a piece of tape during the third test against South Africa! To make it worse Steve Smith confessed in a post-match press conference he and his leadership group put up this idea and Bancroft agreed to do it. Heads must roll.
Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland was emotional when he faced the media just after midday Melbourne time. The ball tampering controversy came at the crucial time too when CA is considering bids from networks on the new broadcast rights. Sutherland will be hoping the incident will not devalue the rights.

1 Like

Indeed, the coach and Smith should stand down from their respective positions IMO.

A very dark day for Australian cricket unfortunately.

Why yellow tape anyway? Isn’t that the colour of cowards? Surely sellotape would have been better being clear and all or masking tape to mask any match indiscretions or the best kind.

Gaffa tape - if a match can’t be fixed with gaffa tape, then it can’t be fixed at all.

Me thinks it was sandpaper.

Lehmann and Smith should either resign or be blasted out, and a full investigation ordered from the top to the bottom of Cricket Australia. Terrible.

3 Likes

Smith said at the press conference that Lehmann was not involved in discussions and did not know anything about the ball tampering.

2 Likes

Smith continually saying he won’t stand down and is the best man for the job - the level of arrogance of these men is off the charts.

3 Likes

There’s footage of Lehmann on a walkie talkie and then realising he’s on camera and looking very foolish and very guilty. Regardless, both the Head Coach and the Captain should be responsible for the team’s internal culture so I think both should resign immediately.

Maybe they need to stick to tampering their own balls…as it were. :wink: :rofl:

what these arrogance pricks needs to realize is that there lots of people who look up at them if cricket australia dont do something like ban those for life then kids will think its ok to do what they do

I dont buy this - this is damage limitation

4 Likes

What did Steve Smith say about the ball tampering controversy last night?

Open any news website or turn on any news cast - you can’t miss it.

1 Like

I can only assume any decisions will be made at the conclusion of this test match or whenever ICC investigations (Bancroft will likely be the only player charged under the code for a Level 2 offence knowing how toothless they are) because I’m certain some sort of action would have been taken. That said I read so many people suggest bringing those guilty parties home (which I assume is the basis of the CA investigation, to find out how many were involved and how detailed their involvement was, based on what I’ve heard so far it seems the coach had knowledge of what but not precisely how this was going to happen) but with the next test on Friday and the last realistic direct flight from Sydney heading to Joburg on Tuesday (Qantas don’t fly Wednesday direct, and Thursday before a Friday start for the next test after 17 odd hours on a plane is probably too hard basket physically) they’d at least want some confirmation of disciplinary action and temporary remedy in the next 24-36 hours.

The key phrase in all of this is “Leadership Group”. Generally this is a player voted group that usually doesn’t include the coach and is usually more than just a captain and vice captain. Given all of them were in on the fix and all of them are likely to face some sort of action, just how many players we may need to fly over as yet is a mystery should that option need to be exercised, particularly with Qld and Tassie players playing in the Shield final.

Steve Smith and Dave Warner have been stood down for the remainder of this test. Tim Paine is acting captain. They can’t win the test anyway. Even if there was some sort of miracle they will now be two batsman down.

no, they are still playing - they are no longer captain / vice captain

3 Likes

Yes, “breaking news” out of South Africa just prior to the start of play today.
Smith and Warner have stood down as C and VC voluntarily for the remainder of this Test match.

What’s not clear yet is who is Acting C - it looks like it might be Tim Paine?

1 Like