Cricket

It’s interesting to hear Warner map out his retirement (after the Sydney Test in January) whilst Smith refuses to discuss his.

I think Warner needs to concentrate on getting picked for the Ashes first, which is no guarantee.

I think he just likes being in the headlines to be honest.

4 Likes

Australia have won the second ICC World Test Championship, beating India by 209 runs before lunch on the fifth and final day at The Oval. It was Australia’s ninth ICC title overall (including World Cup and Champions Trophy) and first ever WTC title.

Set 444 to win, India reached 3/164 at stumps on day four, but lost 7/70 today to be all out for 234. Nathan Lyon took 4/41 while Scott Boland finished with 3/46.

Travis Head was named player of the match for his scores of 163 and 18. His first innings partnership with Steve Smith (285) helped the Aussies to 469, laying the foundations for the victory.

India have been fined their entire match fee for maintaining a slow over-rate while Australia have been docked 80% of fees for the same reason.

5 Likes

In 2027, England Men will play Tests against Australia at Lord’s, The Kia Oval, Edgbaston, Trent Bridge and The Ageas Bowl (Southampton). In 2031, they contest five Tests at Lord’s, The Kia Oval, Emirates Old Trafford, Headingley and Trent Bridge.

The Ageas Bowl will also stage its first Women’s Ashes Test in 2031, with the 2027 edition to be played at Headingley.

3 Likes

Wow, scheduling venues for Ashes Tests in 2031 isn’t something I was expecting to read about just yet!

1 Like

Shocked they are planning that far ahead! What if it burns down or something before then?

1 Like

Australia have announced their XI for the 1st Test. Starc dropped and Hazlewood comes back in. Boland retains his spot.

https://twitter.com/wwos/status/1669639330439081986

4 Likes

Australia got their first taste of Bazball, with England declaring at 8/393 near the close of the opening day of the Ashes test, scoring at 5 runs per over. Joe Root made an unbeaten 118, while Jonny Bairstow smashed 78 from 102 balls and Zak Crawley also contributed with 61. Nathan Lyon took 4/149.

2 Likes

Though the pitch is very straight, 393 is probably only an OK score. There is talk on some rain over the next few days which may have influenced England to make a somewhat surprising early declaration. It has certainly set up an interesting few days ahead.

1 Like

Not a hot start by the Aussies, not unexpected however, I was saying to people last week that the WTC would give us a false sense of security, the two countries essentially flipped in performance I’d say around 5 years ago, close to the ‘ball tampering saga’ which many would argue still lingers…

I enjoyed watching the mid-year cricket again last night, just felt right and good timing, didn’t watch the footy at all (and that’s saying something for a Friday in June), hazard a guess majority of general sports fans would be similar.

2 Likes

And leaving Starc out maybe not the right call, Boland only getting 1 for 86, Starc’s left arm pace brings more variety amongst all the right arm bowlers and more potency. He can be really dangerous but also can be wayward.

2 Likes

Root was clinical, we came in a little with blinkers on, too soon after WTC high and yes some questionable decisions and what do ya know… Mammoth run chase so early to open the series let alone D2 or the first test. Should just rename the barmy army the baz-ballers :joy:

Edgbaston weather forecast not looking good for D3 (tomorrow night our time), rain from lunch.

2 Likes

Australia fought back in day 2 of the Ashes test, despite losing early wickets. Usman Khawaja batted all day to 126 not out, with supports from Travis Head, Cameron Green and Alex Carey. The Aussies are now 82 runs behind England, but with rain forecast for the remaining three days of the match, they will need to make a sizeable lead to have any chance of winning the test.

5 Likes

Meanwhile, Australia were bowled out for 386 before lunch on day three, losing 5/75 in the morning session and giving England a lead of seven runs.

UPDATE: most of the afternoon’s play was stopped by rain. In between two rain interruptions, Australia took the wickets of openers Crawley and Duckett, to leave England teetering at 2/28 at stumps.

3 Likes

What an intriguing final day we have tonight in the 1st Ashes Test!

At 3/107, Australia need another 174 to reach the target of 281.

I can’t pick a winner from here, it looks so evenly poised! A couple of early wickets could spell big trouble for the Aussies, but equally another great knock from Khawaja or some Trav-balling from Head could get the Aussies the win.

The weather could be an issue - some early morning rain is forecast, how much could cause delays.

3 Likes

should be a cracker. i’m hoping the weather plays no part and we get a result one way or the other. shame i need to be up at 6:30 otherwise i’d stay up and watch

3 Likes

This gave me a laugh … on the ESPNCricinfo commentary… a new weather phenomenon may be emerging today during the Test match in England!

I suspect someone whose first language isn’t English has written that not realising!

3 Likes

Play to resume in 45 mins (11.15pm AEST).

2 Likes

A giggle for those night owls tonight:

https://twitter.com/JelisaApps/status/1671095146371485696?s=19

3 Likes

Great win by Australia in the first Ashes test, with two wickets left and with 27 balls left in the innings. The match finished at 7.21pm UK time (4.21am AEST).

It was Australia’s narrowest victory by wickets in an Ashes test since Sydney in December 1907.

Usman Khawaja was named player of the match for his innings of 141 and 65.

7 Likes

Unbelievable. The greatest Test win in Australia in the ICC era and our narrowest win in an Ashes series in 113 years

5 Likes