Cricket

According to ChatGPT

When was the last time, the Australian men’s cricket played a test match in New Zealand?

The Australian men’s cricket team played a test match in New Zealand from February 20-24, 2020, which was the last time they played a test match in New Zealand. The match was played at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch, New Zealand, and resulted in a 279-run victory for Australia.

NZ toured Australia in 2019/20; that was the last time the Trans-Tasman Trophy was played:

2016 was the last tour of NZ:

2 Likes

I just watched the last 6 overs on Kayo, and agree it was a fascinating ending!

I thought Wagner’s penultimate delivery really should have been called a wide (well above head height) so maybe it should have been a tied Test!

1 Like

Yeah was just proving a point, ChatGPT isn’t perfect. I am experimenting with it for historical questions like this. Anyway still impressed with ChatGPT maybe as a starting point.

From ChatGPT

The Australian men’s cricket team played a test match in New Zealand from February 20-24, 2020, which was the last time they played a test match in New Zealand. The match was played at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch, New Zealand, and resulted in a 279-run victory for Australia.

In fact the test match played in Christchurch around that time in 2020 was against India.

2nd Test, Christchurch, February 29 - March 02, 2020, India tour of New Zealand

I wonder where ChatGPT got the data for this? Was thinking maybe a women’s test match? I could not find any data.

There is a good conspiracy for the New Zealanders that ChatGPT is making up history that the Aussies beat NZ by 279 runs. I might get it to make up a few All-Black matches too where the Aussies won. You can’t argue as the machine said so . :slight_smile:

4 Likes

NZ haven’t played one for a very long time.

The follow-on can be dangerous to enforce - I was a little surprised that England did it rather than quickly racking up enough runs to put it out of reach.

There have been some cracker test matches in the last few seasons - you simply don’t get the full gamut of twists and turns in the shorter forms of the game.

2 Likes

Yeah I love the draw as an option. You can always save a match. Its real stamina. You can also really shine as a bowler or batter as you have time. Plus England can change strategy and play like 20/20 that is fine but it can backfire. Even towards the end they were playing test match style to some extent by attempting to protect the tailender. It would be rare to happen in the short forms of the game.

3 Likes

I think England underestimated how difficult it is to bowl in back to back innings.

I think the biggest advantage of batting again (rather than enforcing the follow on) is that it gives their bowlers time to recuperate and be ready to go again when/if a declaration is made.

1 Like

David Gower was spewing about it (in his typically understated way, though). The Aussie commentators would have been crying murder most foul if this happened to Australia.

3 Likes

Same here. A 400 run lead would have been out of reach for NZ.

Yep - T20s don’t stick in my memory bank for long but I’ll always remember the 05 Ashes, Hobart 2011, the India v Australia series a couple of years back and this. As well as heaps of others.

5 Likes

Spot on. I’ve overused the food analogy on here but I think it’s the best one. A good test match like this one is the equivalent of a degustation menu at a Michelin hatted restaurant. The pleasures are great and come slowly. A T20 game- much like a quick stop at the drive thru- is quickly forgotten and often leaves you unsatisfied.

3 Likes

OMG!

Australia have lost the toss!

The run of 8 wins has come to an end … Steve Smith as stand in captain called and lost.

India will bat first.

Two changes for AUS - Starc in for Cummins, Green in for Warner.

1 Like

Starc could/should have had Rohit out twice in that first over.

One caught behind, one LBW, not given and they didn’t use DRS for either!

Oh dear.

2 Likes

Didn’t make much of a difference!

1 Like

Can’t rub sandpaper on a coin.

So India all out 109, with Kuhnemann getting a well deserved five for.

It’s not a very good pitch, so I reckon it’s 50/50 whether Australia can get a 1st innings lead.

One thing is for sure, this match will be all over one way or another within 3 days.

4 Likes

Australia did get a 1st innings lead of 47 at stumps on the opening day of the Indore test, with Usman Khawaja top scoring with 60. Veteran ABC commentator Jim Maxwell had predicted no batter would make 50 with a pitch like the one used for this match.

5 Likes

Another batting collapse by Australia on the second morning of the third test gave the advantage back to India. After the first hour of play today, Australia were 4/186. They then promptly lost 6/11 in 6.3 overs to be all out for 197. Jadeja took the first four wickets during Australia’s innings, then Ashwin and Yadav grabbed three wickets each.

3 Likes

They still have a handy 88 run lead on the 1st innings, i still think Australia are in front in the game… I think India will need to be 1 or 2 down for 100 before we can say Australia should be worried.

3 Likes

100 may well be enough in the 4th innings!

India now effectively 2/-55. We will need to ensure any lead is kept to under 100. It’s the sort of wicket where you can lose the lot very quickly as we saw this morning; as fanciful is it may seem Australia are a chance of winning today if things go right!

2 Likes