Cricket

I would like to see South Africa win its first ever T20 World Cup Title.

1 Like

Yes, as good as the Australian women’s team is, i would like to see someone else win for a change.

That’s how I felt in the early 2000s with the men’s team, but arguably the current women’s team are even more dominant (the men lost to India in 2001 after all). I haven’t been following this T20 world cup that closely, not because I’m misogynist but because I’ve had enough of short form cricket, and there are two test series going on at the moment. I’m not sure what happened to NZ who must have missed the semi finals; it’s usually either NZ or England in the final with Australia. India is obviously now a major contender also and will possibly follow the men into dominance, given the likely boost from the women’s IPL.

1 Like

NZ’s women’s side has been going backwards at a rate of knots for about 4 years.

2 Likes

Maybe they need some Devine intervention?

1 Like

Completely disagree I would love to see Australia keep winning.

1 Like

Rolled for 76 and 67 in consecutive matches isn’t very good…

1 Like

Insane finish to the Women’s National Cricket League final (50 overs) at Hobart’s Blundstone Arena tonight, where South Australia lost their last five wickets for two runs in their final over, to give Tasmania a one run win (Duckworth-Lewis-Stern method).

Tasmania made 264 all out from their 50 overs, after the Tigers lost the toss and sent into bat, with Elyse Villani scoring 110. SA’s run chase was interrupted by rain, and the Scorpions were 5/239 going into the 47th and final over, four runs off the revised target of 243. However, Tigers pace bowler Sarah Coyte kept her cool, taking three wickets, while there were two runouts, to help her team to a thrilling win. Coyte was named player of the match for her bowling figures of 4/30.

The result means Tasmania has won back-to-back WNCL titles for the first time in the team’s history.

EDIT: here is the final over as called by Peter Newlinds for Cricket Australia

4 Likes

Australia have won the Women’s T20 World Cup for the third time in a row (6th overall), beating South Africa by 19 runs in the final in Cape Town. The defending champions made 6/156 thanks mainly to Beth Mooney’s 74 not out from 53 balls, before restricting the home side to 6/137.

Mooney was named player of the match with teammate Ashleigh Gardner named player of the tournament for taking ten wickets and scoring 110 runs in total.

Isle of Man cricket team now owns the lowest ever score in T20 cricket, after it was bowled out for 10 runs in a match against Spain. It breaks the previous low score of 15 set by Sydney Thunder against Adelaide Strikers in a BBL match in January this year.

2 Likes

Great ending to the cricket in NZ. England are 7 down needing 56 runs to win with two new batsmen.

Makes me feel Australia should tour more often to NZ.

5 Likes

This has been one of the best tests I’ve watched. Enthralling cricket and a much more substantial meal than drive thru T20s.

Unfortunately test cricket is almost always one sided in Australia; you need evenly matched teams and an even wicket for the best matches. The English seem to provide that, both home and away it seems. I feel The Ashes will be great.

Foakes is now out with 7 runs to go. Tied test on the cards?

3 Likes

NZ won by 1 run. Unbelievable finish

5 Likes

Bloody hell. What an ending.

5 Likes

Privileged to have been able to listen to that (bloody lucky timing!), tuned-into SEN radio, Dwayne Russell held news break and was live calling. Very nearly only a third historic tie, the result still phenomenal. The call from I’m guessing host broadcaster they played also sounded amazing, probably Foxtel/Kayo here.

1 Like

I love test cricket 0 off 27 balls is still a great knock :slight_smile: . Unfortunately (for England) was not enough to win.

Come on Australia let us do a series in NZ. It has been so many years. Was the last time we toured there was 2016? I’d love it if we did it every 2nd year or combine some series.

3 Likes

I think it was 2015. I maintain that we’re afraid of losing to them; NZ is pretty good at home as are most teams (no series losses since 2017, a record just kept intact today).

Amazing ending but I was hoping for a tie rather than *just * a one run victory :wink:

2 Likes

Nearly three decades to the day since the last (equal) smallest winning margin :exploding_head:

7 Likes

checking in on @OnAir… code blue, code blue

2 Likes

That was an unbelievable finish to the test match in Wellington - only the fourth time in test history that a team had won a match after being forced to follow on.

Remarkably, England had been involved of three of those four tests - SCG in 1894 (won against Australia), Headingley in 1981 (won against Australia) and this clash against New Zealand (lost).

5 Likes

Wow. That might be the greatest test match I’ve seen. To come back and win after being asked to follow on - and with the depth severely tested is impressive.

7 Likes