Cricket

I bet thats what the architects were aiming for too

1 Like

Yeah I thought the same thing. Its a strange looking field. I am assuming its more of an AFL field and is designed longer rather than wider - which is the opposite to places like the MCG, SCG and Adelaide Oval which were designed more as cricket fields.

Imagine if Socceroos come here to play at the new stadium before we send them off to Russia

England has won the first ever international cricket match at Perth Stadium, beating Australia by 12 runs and winning the series 4-1. Australia restricted England to 259 and had a flying start in the second innings, but a middle order collapse of 4-14 gave back the initiative to England. Tim Paine’s fightback just fell short. Australia has a lot to fix in its one-day team if it is to perform well in next year’s World Cup.
53,781 attended today’s match. Given the match was a sell out it was a bit disappointing. Apart from those seats marked off for sightscreens there were still many unoccupied seats.

1 Like

But wasn’t this no the highest attendance in this yr’s Gillete ODI Series?

I thought Optus Stadium capacity was over 60,000 and I thought the game was a sell out?

Reduced capacity to 55k for cricket due to sight screens at either end.

1 Like

The MCG has won the right to host the final of both women’s and men’s ICC World Twenty20 cricket tournament in 2020. The venue also hosted the final of ICC men’s World Cup in 1992 and 2015.
The women’s World Twenty20 will run from February 21 to March 8, 2020 and the men’s tournament from October 18 to November 15, 2020.

2 Likes

I think Cricket Australia should look at doing a big innings break show during the big bash final. It could bring in some more viewers that way. At the moment it’s just another game.

1 Like

I don’t think they would want to change the “fabric” of the game by changing intervals.

It’d be a bit like having a longer half time interval in the football which would advantage teams with the less fit players,

It also wouldn’t be fair on the crowd.

How wouldn’t it be fait on the crowd? They don’t need to extend the break by much. Maybe 5 mins. They had bmx bikers once at etihad so it’s doable in the time frame they have.

Ah, when you said a “big” innings break, I thought you must have had something like 30 mins in mind.

No, 5 mins wouldn’t impact on the crowd, but by the same token, I don’t think it would make any difference to TV ratings either.

Twenty20 internationals held in Australia have a 20 minute innings break (so Nine can show the news in Perth), compared to ten minutes for BBL matches.

1 Like

No sorry i meant big in terms of the sort of spectucual. Nothing too major perhaps a performer. Obviously only issue would be they don’t know the venue until a few days before the final.

1 Like

Former Australian captains Ricky Ponting and Karen Rolton, and test batsman Norm O’Neill will be inducted into the Australian Cricket Hall of Fame during Monday’s Allan Border Medal in Melbourne.

1 Like

Australia has won their third Twenty20 match in a row, beating England by seven wickets at the MCG with 5.3 overs to spare. Looks like the Aussies have finally found their Twenty20 team. If they stay fit and stay together they will be able to improve their world ranking in the format (currently fourth).
By winning tonight Australia have reached the final of Gillette tri-series, which will be held in Auckland on February 21.

1 Like

The Big question is will that be the last game of Cricket NINE will broadcast

It won’t, Channel 9 have the Ashes rights for next year

1 Like

Steve Smith won the 2018 Allan Border Medal tonight. He was an overwhelming favourite after his stellar test batting performance last year and also leading the Australian team to regain the Ashes. He also won the test player of the year award.
Other winners:
Belinda Clark Medal (women’s player of the year) - Ellyse Perry
Bradman Young Cricketer of the year - Jhye Richardson
Betty Wilson Young Cricketer of the year - Georgia Redmayne
Twenty20 player of the year - Aaron Finch
Domestic player of the year - George Bailey (men’s), Beth Mooney (women’s)
ODI player of the year - David Warner

2 Likes

I thought Nathan Lyon would have deserved the metal. He also had a stellar year.