Cricket

Australia held on to beat Afghanistan by four runs tonight, and must rely on Sri Lanka defeating England to make it through to the semi-finals. Sent in to bat, the home side made 8/168 with Glenn Maxwell (player of the match) smashing 54 from 32 balls and Mitchell Marsh scoring 45. Afghanistan were 2/99 before losing four wickets for four runs in ten balls, including three wickets in one Adam Zampa over. Rashid Khan then hit to all parts of Adelaide Oval, finishing with 48 not out, and almost led his team to victory.

Afghanistan finished bottom of Group 1 with three losses and two matches washed out.

Attendance at Adelaide Oval tonight was 18,672.

3 Likes

That was close. Australia should’ve been better and were very lucky to win.

2 Likes

It must be said that Rashid Khan plays for Adelaide Strikers in the BBL so knows the ground very well. If he can show this kind of batting in the upcoming season, the Strikers will go very far in the competition.

5 Likes

Disappointing crowd of only 18,000 or so at the Australia game, weather was superb for the double-header. Nice seeing the various media crews in action too.

6 Likes

Agree, I thought the crowd would have been at least 30,000 given it’s a double header and how important this game was to the Australian team even though they were up against a minor cricketing nation.

This could be a reflection of how the Australian public has fallen out of love with the national mens team. I don’t think it’s ever really recovered from Sandpaper-gate in that respect.

4 Likes

It seems that sport in general outside of Melbourne and Sydney has fallen off.

I personally think it’s more the advertising that’s affected crowd numbers, the commercials at the moment on Fox Cricket are focussed more on their talent and not the international athletes that are on our soil. There’s an ICC produced one as well but that doesn’t specify game times and schedules.

Thankfully I’ve seen a fair bit of marketing on Social media at least. (That’s how I knew it was on)

1 Like
2 Likes

England have pipped the Sri Lankans in a low scoring game at the SCG, winning with just 4 wickets in hand and 2 balls to spare.

England were needing a run a ball for about the last 7 overs of their chase, and made hard work of it losing wickets regularly, but with Ben Stokes still at the crease, I always thought England would win as long as he was still there at the end, which was the case.

England’s win means AUS are now out of the T20 World Cup.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the 1992 ODI World Cup in which Australia played poorly as the host, and didn’t get out of group stages.

The semi finals will be exciting but both Fox Sports and Nine will be disappointed that Australia won’t be able to defend the T20 World Cup title.

6 Likes

It was an interesting game and a refreshing change from the slogfests that usually prevail in 20 over games.

The pitch looked like it was as slow as the Australian over rate in a test match, at least at the end of each innings. This was a typical SCG wicket of old. Both teams found it hard to score after the initial 6 overs and a lot of the dismissals were indicative of a pitch that was holding up severely. Sri Lanka realised this and elected to bat first; I thought England would struggle playing the SL spinners and this proved to be the case. But they did enough in the first 6 overs of the chase to win.

4 Likes

The Netherlands have just pulled off one of the biggest upsets in cricket history, defeating the much more fancied South Africa by 13 runs!

With 2 more games still to come (PAK v BAN, IND v ZIM), it means India have now made it to the last 4, and any of Pakistan, Bangladesh or even South Africa can make it pending results.

It also means The Netherlands have qualified for the next T20 World Cup.

6 Likes

That’s a huge upset. It is also Netherlands’ first victory over South Africa in any form of cricket.

South Africa finish on five points meaning they have been eliminated, as the winner of Pakistan-Bangladesh will end on six points and grab the last spot in the semi-finals.

3 Likes

Ah yes, you’re right, I had in my head for a minute that PAK were playing ZIM next, but they’re not.

1 Like

The next game isn’t going to get washed out.

1 Like

Oh dear…

Sri Lankan cricketer Danushka Gunathilaka has been arrested and charged with sexual assaulting a Sydney woman.

Police confirmed the international cricket star, 31, was arrested at a Sussex Street hotel about 1am on Sunday over the alleged incident in Sydney’s east last week.

Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Sex Crimes Squad and Eastern Suburbs Police Area Command commenced a joint investigation following reports a 29-year-old woman had been sexually assaulted at a home in Rose Bay.

Mr Gunathilaka was taken to Sydney Police Station and charged with four counts of sexual intercourse without consent.

He was refused bail to appear at Parramatta Bail Court on Sunday.

3 Likes

Absolute shocker from the Third Umpire today.

Where does the bat hit the ground?

4 Likes

Agree, I thought it was not out too.

Close game so far, PAK “should” get the runs from here at 75-2 after 12.5 overs chasing 128, but you can never be too confident with them, they have a habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

1 Like

Definitely won’t be a stock standard finish! What a last day of this group!

2 Likes

Pakistan has qualified into the Semi finals after beating Bangladesh by 5 wickets with 11 balls to spare at Adelaide oval. However the semi final lineup will depend on tonight’s match between India and Zimbabwe at the MCG.

2 Likes