Cricket

The issue with playing cricket in Darwin isn’t the heat and humidity- ridiculously oppressive though it is- it’s the monsoon season. You’d potentially see more of the groundstaff and the super sopper than actual play. My understanding is that they play NTAFL in the wet season and cricket in the dry (southern winter). The two tests that have been played in the Top End have both been in the middle of winter.

Canberra would be my logical choice for an expansion team (Canberra Comets) and, if Perth wins again this year, perhaps a ‘Western Quokkas’ team to represent regional WA :smiley:.

4 Likes

What a game of BBL tonight!

No Lynn for Heat, made it a close one.

Hurricanes done quite well.

8 runs required of 4 balls at present…

1 Like

And some controversy, with Heat batsman Alex Ross unusually given out “obstructing the field”, probably the rarest form of dismissal.

2 Likes

First time a batsmen has been dismissed in that fashion in top flight Australian cricket history as well.

2 Likes

but was it out though or is it just a howler like Gilchrist getting out where the wicket keeper drops it but some reason the third umpire gives him out

I think the “obstructing the field” decision last night is different to a run out.

Run outs are generally black and white, but the decision last night was very subjective.
Though most commentators seemed to disagree with it, and so do I.

1 Like

England certainly bounced back after losing the Ashes, claiming game one of the Gillette one day series at the MCG tonight. What an innings by Jason Roy with 180! Australia is in a tough fight to win the series, and Seven and Ten will keep an eye on the results because the fifth match at Perth Stadium could be the series decider and may take viewers away from the tennis final and I’m a Celebrity season premiere.

2 Likes

England did very well tonight, was also great to hear Bill Lawry (assumed with his age he was restricting duties to just MCG and SCG tests now).

I’m not big on ODIs, I prefer the T20 Internationals and BBL after the tests are over. They also clash with the tennis more than not.

This is just me, but I follow an annual ‘priority’ viewership, so I am fair to all sports and not consumed by just one for months on end.

January is tennis, March is Grand Prix, winter is footy, October-November is horse racing, December is cricket. As well as Olympics and Comm Games as they occur.

Yes, I’m odd like that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

Gee the MCG looked awful tonight with that disgraceful crowd.

Went after the tennis… Why did I bother.

Stars thumped by Sixers :grimacing:

1 Like

AKA a crowd that would be a sellout at the Hurricanes, Scorchers and Thunder home grounds…

1 Like

Stars are last on the table which explains it.

2 Likes

Would have been just under a sellout at both Hurricanes grounds combined - Blundstone and UTAS.

You have a thing for large crowds?

2 Likes

What are you talking about? The seagull crowd was MASSIVE!

Seriously, the Stars should be booted out of the competition.

1 Like

England beat Australia by 16 runs at the SCG last night, thus winning the one-day series with two matches to spare. It also extends Australia’s recent poor ODI record - one win in the past 11 matches, with the Aussies now ranked fifth in the ODI rankings.
At least Seven and Ten can breathe easy now because it means less people will watch the final two matches of the one-day series, let alone attending.

Wrong.

The Australia Day ODI in Adelaide is usually very well attended and the 5th ODI is being played at a sold out Perth Stadium.

1 Like

I’m all for ditching the soft signal when referring to the 3rd umpire - if the umpire doesnt know, don’t cloud the referral

2 Likes

How many of those games were dead rubbers against the home team? Probably good scheduling in the end to have the Perth game as the 5th ODI. If it was anywhere else, hardly anyone would show up.

Thankfully these 5 game ODI series will be all but history when the new ICC ODI league comes into effect.

2 Likes

I don’t see anything wrong with the soft signal.

It’s no different to a say an LBW decision whereby the umpire often isn’t sure whether it’s out or not, but has to give a decision one way or the other.

At least it didn’t cost Australia a review if they didn’t agree with it.

I think the decision was the right one in the end, I couldn’t see any clear evidence that the ball touched the ground, and the 3rd umpire couldn’t overturn the decision.