Cricket

Yes it is.

Not that.

4 tests in India scheduled for February/March, the September games are T20 only. Then IPL April, an Away Ashes, in June/July then a South African stint of 5 x 50 Over games in August before the 2023 50 Over World Cup next October in India means pretty much no rest until say February 2024.

2 Likes

Given there’s no tests in that period that would require Channel 7 to telecast as they’d cover men’s finals and women’s matches (plus Bathurst in October even though it’s not their production) I’d suggest not. There was some small chance of a test vs Zimbabwe but that never really reached a serious stage of discussion.

1 Like

Good test match in progress between England and New Zealand, with juicy bowling conditions as is normal for the start of the English summer. NZ opted to bat and made 132; England are 7/117 in reply. As is usual these days, a bit of a ‘dead cat bounce’ from both teams with the tail scoring the majority of the runs. NZ at one stage were 7/45.

Only 76 overs bowled in the day and no rain interruptions. I’m sorry but that is pathetic, despite all the wickets falling and no spin at all being used. I know I whinge about this a lot but it really is appalling for test cricket, struggling as it is to compete against T20- and ‘The Hundred’ in England.

Again it’s test matches in England that are the most gripping. I wish test cricket was this competitive everywhere; in Australia it’s only rarely this enthralling.

5 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

I think some of this is because the pitches are more even, in that they are not the raging turner of a dustbowl in India’s that are tailor made for spinners, and are not the overly fast and bouncy wickets that are tailor made for big fast bowlers like Australia has.

There’s a bit of something for everyone in England.

New Zealand took control of the first test against England at Lord’s after seven more wickets fell on day 2. After England were bowled out for 141 in the first innings, the Black Caps lost four early wickets, before Daryl Mitchell and Tom Blundell put on 180 runs for the fifth wicket. Both batsmen reached 90s at stumps and are set to make tons on day 3.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree the best test cricket is played in England. I wish Australian pitches were something similar. It helps bowlers and batters.

1 Like

England need 61 runs to win the first test against NZ at Lord’s, with two days remaining. The tourists lost 6/34 in the first 90 minutes of the third day’s play to be all out for 285, with Daryl Mitchell making 108 (his second test hundred) and Tom Blundell dismissed for 96. Chasing 277, new England captain Ben Stokes scored 54 while his predecessor Joe Root was 77 not out.

2 Likes
1 Like

England beat New Zealand by five wickets on the morning of day 4 of first test at Lord’s, thanks to former captain Joe Root’s 115 not out (he also reached 10,000 test runs). It was also the first test victory for new skipper Ben Stokes and senior coach Brendon McCullum.

The home side prevails again. To be fair NZ did a Greg (Blew-ett) in their second dig.

1 Like
3 Likes

There’s been rumours for a while that this was coming and he could also be bringing Langer down as head coach too.

Will this role impact on his Seven commitments? I hope not.

1 Like

I think it will. Will be a conflict of interest

Apparently not:

https://twitter.com/7Cricket/status/1534730807155167233?s=20&t=OizQ8CMj8VyEny0GtrFJRg

No different to Nine having Gus Gould on its NRL commentary team when he is coaching director at Penrith, or with Slater and Fittler being Origin coaches and on Nine’s commentary payroll.

3 Likes

Sri Lanka won the third and final T20 match against Australia, but the tourists still claimed the series 2-1. Aussie captain Aaron Finch was named player of the series.

3 Likes
2 Likes