Cricket

Australia almost pulled off a miraculous win at Auckland today. Chasing 287 to win, the depleted Aussie side suffered an early collapse to be 6/67 in the 19th over. Marcus Stoinis led the fightback, scoring 146 not out to become the first Aussie to make a century and take 3 wickets in an ODI. His team was ahead of the Kiwis on run rate until Kane Williamson ran out Josh Hazlewood at the bowler’s end on the last ball of the 47th over, helping New Zealand to win by 6 runs. You may remember Williamson hit a six off the last ball to beat Australia at the same venue in the 2015 Cricket World Cup.

They COULD, but they would need to outbid FOXTEL.

1 Like

Cricket Australia may need to look at the starting times of matches for the next season of BBL. This season most matches in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide have been night games starting at 7.40pm AEDT but two Perth matches were played at twilight (4.40pm WA or 7.40pm AEDT) just to suit eastern states viewers. They should be able to get most of the Scorchers’ home games at night just like the rest of us. If it means those games start at 9.30pm AEDT or later then so be it.

From a family / attendee perspective, the twilight games would work better for spectators at the ground.

Which would mean a 7.30pm finish and getting home at a decent hour and getting the kids into bed, rather than getting home after 11pm.

I cant see why they cant at least air it at 8:30 in Perth, Eastern time.

1 Like

Why not have a Summer Edition of The Project which airs for 30 minutes during the duration of the Big Bash.

I was wondering what people thought.

Is cricket more popular than tennis or equal or less popular than tennis?

Given the Australian Open Men’s Final ratings the other night.

What did the CWC rate a few years ago?

It could be argued that the ratings were huge because it was a final, thriller and Federer won I suppose.

Seven did win every night over the 14 days, including a few days where ODI cricket was on Ch 9 (which surprised me).

I think it is obvious that tennis is slightly more popular considering it rated over 2.7 million. However, that is only one tournament. If you look at all tournaments like Hopman Cup and the one in Sydney these rate a lot lower. I guess cricket has a greater appeal. As the Big Bash, and all Australian games seem to rate well. Even the overseas ASHES tournaments seem to rate well. I think it is hard to compare the two, and I think it is hard to determine which is more popular. I do think cricket is the Australian sport and most popular sport in Australia.

4 Likes

The 2015 cricket World Cup final got 3 mill aprox IIRC

Yeah I had no idea. But thanks for the information.

I was keeping up with the game but left it when Australia looked all lost. Just checked results today and Stoinus got 146 not out to end up only just losing. Great effort.

Interesting, a 2006 ad for the Big Bash when the state teams competed.

1 Like

It has a WIN Logo at the end of the ad. I mean how could it do so?

It may have been taken from WIN in WA, whereby at the time they were a composite Nine/Ten station.

It’s from Toowoomba, the match would unlikely be broadcast, just an ad to get fans down to the ground.

The brand new scoreboard graphic for the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy which began yesterday (AEST).

3 Likes

The bangers went alright - but the bowlers had nothing unfortunatly

The new graphics must have taken inspiration from the recent Indian Premier League tournament.

Pakistan have defeated India in the Champions Trophy final. IMO, probably one of the biggest ODI upsets in this decade at least, not many thought Pakistan would even progress through the group stage! Also, they were 8th in the world when the tournament started almost missing out on qualifying for the tournament altogether.

1 Like

They are a very enigmatic and unpredictable team.

I was more amazed by the size of the winning margin… 180 runs!