Cricket

haven’t read it yet (should be working ) but apparently Boof has kept his job

still - if he didn’t know, then he hasn’t controlled his team…

2 Likes

strong text I cannt understand for the llife of me how Darren Lehman pwoulde not have known whayt happened ti Capetown last weekend.

There’s no doubt in my mind Lehmann knew. But he appears to have been exonerated some what.

This is rather damning though: https://twitter.com/Too_Upfront/status/978377839278833664

Which is probably why they are doing a review of the culture of the team.

The word is that Lehmann will speak tomorrow, although it’s likely the predictable media approved denial lines will answer the questions rather than anything incriminating will come from him.

1 Like

Monday 2 April at 7:30 pm
ABC News Special: Caught Out
When did Australian cricket adopt a win-at-all- costs culture? When did it turn toxic? We investigate what led to the cheating scandal and why Steve Smith, the man with the country’s highest sporting honour, played a key role.

Encore at 11:05pm

1 Like

IN: Matt Renshaw, Glenn Maxwell, Joe Burns

Out: David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Steve Smith (they have all been sent home following the ball tampering controversy)

1 Like

I think there is some damage limitation going on here - Smith’s admission on Saturday has backed CA into a corner in some respects

1 Like

Why? They can just blast all of them out and reset the team.

Stoked for Renshaw though.

David Warner and Steve smith are facing a year ban from playing cricket. Cameron Bancroft is suspended for nine months for the ball tampering scandal.

CA Statement says Warner came up with the idea, and didn’t regret it when talking to the investigation. Explains why the team’s abandoned him, it was his stupid idea (agreed to by the other two) and when people found out he dragged the leadership group into it (really annoying the fast bowlers)…

1 Like

Warner’s punishment is more severe because he has been banned from leadership positions on the Australian cricket team for life. Smith and Bancroft will not be considered for leadership positions for 12 months, starting from the end of their playing ban.
Warner, Smith and Bancroft are banned from playing domestic and international cricket during their suspension but can play at local level, and are encouraged to do so. The trio is also required to undertake 100 hours of voluntary service in community cricket. All three can appeal against their penalties.
Warner and Smith have also been banned from playing in the IPL this year by the BCCI (Indian board).
Fairfax reports Tim Paine has been appointed Australian captain on a full-time basis.

2 Likes

As a cricket fan I am relieved it was a year ban but I do think they go off very lightly. Why Steve Smith agreed with David Warners idea is beyond me. And why David Warner was ever appointed into leadership is beyond me too. He is a man that has had many issues when traveling internationally and has even gotten into a fight with other players.

1 Like

He’d actually improved his reputation in the past couple of years years and was excellent as captain in the recent T20 tri series to be fair. Such a shame that this had to happen though as his reputation was recovering from the earlier incidents you mentioned.

Also, apparently Lehman didn’t have anything to do with the incident and the use of the walkie-talkies was to do with him wondering what the players were doing on the field at the time. Still seems slightly sketchy to me.

1 Like

The apparent reason for this ‘relapse’ of Warner’s was because he literally said to the team that he wanted to start being a bit more mongrel now that he had played it safe and become VC.

He has literally made the worst possible decision at every possible opportunity for the past month.

2 Likes

ABC reporting Magellan have dumped their test sponsorship after just one season.

1 Like

ASICS also announced it has dumped its sponsorship of Warner and Bancroft effective immediately.

1 Like

Investment company, Magellan has torn up its Cricket Australia’s three-year sponsorship deal following the ball tampering scandal.

1 Like

Fox Sports News were reporting this morning the deal was worth around $17 million to CA…ouch!

2 Likes

Trust some fuckwit from the Kyle and Jackie O Show to turn a serious, emotionally charged media conference into a joke.

9 Likes