Cricket

Its great they are doing well even without the David Warner and Steve Smith.

5 Likes

England ended its tour of West Indies on a high note, winning the final Twenty20 game at St Kitts by eight wickets to clean sweep the series 3-0. This came after the Windies won the test series and the ODI series was drawn 2-2 with one game washed out. In the latest T20 match, England bowled out the Windies for just 71 in 13 overs. The tourists reached the target in 10.3 overs.

1 Like

I’d like to see the team go well enough to make it very difficult for Warner and Smith to get back in.

It was not long ago that they were looking like walk up starts, not so much the case right now.

At least Smith can’t be captain for the World Cup. And despite Aaron Finch’ s poor form with the bat, I’d like to see him remain ODI captain for the World Cup.

2 Likes

For the first time, Australia has won a five-match one-day series after coming from 2-0 down. The Aussies beat India by 35 runs in the deciding game in Delhi, ending a losing streak of six consecutive series. It’s also the first time in 10 years the tourists won an ODI series in India. Australia’s score of 9/272 on a slowing wicket could have been higher if not for the batting collapse of 8/97 after they were 1/175.
Usman Khawaja continued his recent great form with his second century in three matches, and was named player of the series.

3 Likes

Yes I thought it was all over, when I went to sleep. To be honest thought we had no hope in this series, now we have a chance in the world cup. I have felt the attitude in the team has changed. :slight_smile:.

Anyway credit goes to MSR to broadcast the game on radio (in Sydney no SEN here). And instead of getting someone in Australia to watch the TV and bring the game, it was good to have it coming from India, when going to sleep. I hope they do ashes (although the ABC should do that), and I wish they cover more games of the world cup beyond the Australian games.

The third and final test between NZ and Bangladesh due to start in Christchurch tomorrow has been cancelled as the result of today’s shooting at the city’s two mosques. Bangladeshi players had to run for safety when they were enroute to Masjid Al Noor mosque where one shooting occurred. Fortunately they are all safe.

1 Like

Cameron bancroft was involved in another controversy in 12 months

1 Like

Is nothing sacred?

1 Like

Why does it have to sacred? It’s just a game. The fact i should be able to identify who’s balling or batting or fielding without having to go my cricket app on the phone is a good thing for me IMHO. :slight_smile: But each to their own.

I agree, not really a fan of that idea.

Though it will probably help those at the game that don’t have the benefit of the TV zoom in footage.

1 Like

The numbers really aren’t needed.

2 Likes

The real reason for all this will be to eventually get sponsors on the shirts.

The Australian team have had small sponsor logos in past. where a shirt pocket would be.

I just rely on the scoreboard when I’m at the ground. ODI and t20 it suits, but not tests (or shield, the current shield shirts are terrible) in my opinion.

1 Like

Don’t think it would make all that much of a difference. As it is now it would be reasonably easy to identify the keeper, the captain (given all of them apart from Jason Holder from the Windies are batsmen from the test teams) and the bowlers if someone is relatively observant of where they field between overs.

Still quite a bit of cricket going on:

Aus v Pakistan- we are 1-0 up in this best of 5 series. The second game starts later tonight.

Sheffield Shield- NSW had an outright win over Tasmania, scuppering WA’s chances. It will be a VIC v NSW final at the Junction Oval later this week. The final is a five day game, however a draw is enough for Victoria to win the prize. This is a bad flaw in the system encouraging dour play but it’s hard to come up with anything that’s fairer. The top side should have an advantage, though.

Indian Premier League- The IPL got underway last night. I’m actually going to watch a bit of it this year because I have the ability to replay the matches through Kayo. The first game was played on a very lively spinning surface at Chennai. Shane Watson was the only Australian in the match and he made a ten ball :duck:.

1 Like

I don’t watch a lot of IPL what is a 10 ball?

They’ve changed the Shield finals rules, meaning that if 270 overs are bowled and the game is drawn the winner is determined by the stupid bonus point system they use in the regular season which very few understand.

A ten ball duck. Obviously the duck emoji doesn’t show on everyone’s device.

Didn’t know they changed the rule re the Shield final and draws- thanks for that. But I’m not sure that’s any better to be honest.

1 Like

Another emphatic win for Australia over Pakistan overnight with the scores almost identical to the first match. Finch made an unbeaten 153 in the chase (2/285). Unfortunately, Jhye “The Guy” Richardson dislocated his shoulder in the field and will miss the rest of the series; he may even be in doubt for the World Cup starting at the end of May.

Meanwhile, David Warner made his comeback in the IPL, making 85 for the Sunrisers Hyderabad. Steve Smith is expected to play tonight for the Rajasthan Royals.

3 Likes