Cricket TV Rights 2024/25-2030/31 (Seven/Foxtel)

The Australian has a similar report to the one in SMH and The Age today. The Australian says:

Seven and Nine are understood to have pitched only for the rights to Tests – each putting forward just north of about $50m per year for the five-day format, ­according to industry sources – while Ten/Paramount+ and Foxtel are believed to be interested in the “all of cricket” option, which would include rights to Tests, one-day and T20 internationals in Australia, as well as the domestic T20 competitions – the BBL and the WBBL.

CA’s urgency to strike a deal before Christmas is twofold - one, the governing body wants to capitalise on a market in which broadcast rights for live sports is running hot (both the AFL and Tennis Australia have secured big money in the past couple of months for multi-year TV deals); and two, cricket bosses have concerns that the BBL might continue its downward ratings trajectory, and thus be less appealing come next year.

2 Likes

I reckon things could go either of these ways:

1. Ten/Paramount gets everything. Tests/BBL on FTA with T20/ODI on Paramount+.

2. Seven/Foxtel gets a joint bid. However, Seven gets only Tests with everything else on Foxtel/Kayo. This would be the worst option for the viewer.

3. Joint Nine/Ten/Stan/Paramount bid. Tests on Nine and BBL/ODIs/T20s on Ten. This would be the best option for Nine and Ten as they bid less money.

9 Likes

Spot on, last option is similar to the nine/ten deal of the past.

Option 2; just look at cricket in the UK to understand how bad that deal would be.

BBL was nowhere until it was on Ten, now it’s heading back to the nowhere status again.

3 Likes

That article seems to suggest that CA are willing to leave some money on the table due to a reluctance to partner with Ten to broadcast Test cricket. However, I’m inclined to speculate that this is more due to CA ensuring Foxtel retains a piece of the pie. I won’t be at all surprised if Fox wins the rights to everything at a premium price, with Test cricket and part of the BBL sublicensed to a FTA network (at palatable terms for 7 or even 9).

4 Likes

My guess is it’s either
•10/Paramount or
•7/Fox deal again (imo bad for growth of cricket in Aus)

I don’t think 10/Paramount would want to partner with another broadcaster & that basically rules out 9 who I think only wants Tests

5 Likes

I feel like the 10/Paramount option is the best for viewers.

• If it is Nine/Stan/10/Paramount who shares Cricket, fans will have to sign up to Stan and Paramount Sport, which will cost them $40 a month just for Stan Premium/Sport + Paramount+.

• If it is 7/Foxtel, I feel like Foxtel will try to get BBL/T20/ODIs all behind a paywall just leaving tests on FTA by using the anti-siphoning list as BBL, T20 and ODIs aren’t on the list. This will destroy the BBL and Cricket in Australia even further putting it behind a $25 paywall and is by far the worst option for viewers.

However with the 10/Paramount deal, you could get BBL/Tests on Ten and all matches on Paramount+ for a cheap cost of $8.99 a month. This is by far the best option for viewers, and especially the average household who only wants to pay for 1 or 2 streaming services due to inflation.

2 Likes

BBL is not on antisiphoning list but T20 and ODI matches are on the list.

7.3 Each one day cricket match involving the senior Australian representative team selected by Cricket Australia played in Australia.

7.4 Each Twenty20 cricket match involving the senior Australian representative team selected by Cricket Australia played in Australia.

2 Likes

I want to see the One Day Matches (best of 3) return to free to air over the summer. This could substitute BBL matches behind a pay wall.

4 Likes
  1. Would be the best for viewers since everything is in one place

2. Would be the worst for cricket in Aus if only tests are on FTA

3. Would be the worst for viewers since everything is split & would cost viewer a lot to watch everything

5 Likes

Option 3 is more fragmentation of sports rights

2 Likes

While Ten under Paramount/CBS ownership has continued to struggle, I do think cricket and Test Cricket in particular is still a strong enough property to draw viewers to the network (i.e. it is something people still go out of their way to seek out). We even saw this with the Big Bash to an extent in the previous contract. By comparison, A-League and NBL are still relatively niche, while the Melbourne Cup Carnival is hardly exclusive given the races are on Sky Racing and Racing.com as well (not to mention Seven counterprogramming with NSW racing).

I would suspect there would be some things exclusive to Paramount+ in order to justify the investment. Maybe ad-free coverage on Paramount and bonus camera angles, and perhaps certain BBL games and/or ODIs/T20Is behind a paywall as well. In the case of ODIs and T20Is and even some BBL games I could also see 10 showing partial coverage (e.g. 1st innings highlights only before the run chase in full live) in order to try and entice viewers across to P+ (while still providing something decent for 10 as well)

8 Likes

Or highlights of ODI/T20/BBL on 10 at around 11.30pm? It will be a throwback to the 1980s and 1990s when Nine showed late night highlights of tests and ODIs in the host city of those games, with partial live coverage during the day.

6 Likes

Radio and alternate commentary in Urdu, Afrikaans or Hindi whenever Pakistan, India or South Africa are playing on P+ with Spidercam and chopper cam

3 Likes

Drone you mean. And myself (the rover :wink:).

2 Likes

I am predicting 10 will exclusively land this along with Womens Internationals, Tests and T20Is as well as sharing BBL and WBBL with Fox.

4 Likes

Points from the article:

• Poor crowds for one days may help one days back onto FTA
  • Second round of bids due today
  • Biggest challenge to 7/Fox is apparently 10/Paramount+
  • Test cricket is now the most sought after, not one days
9 Likes

Don’t think 10/Paramount would want to share with Fox or anyone

4 Likes

The ODIs are as good as dead (and not just here in Australia) if they aren’t gone by 2025, they’ll disappear by the time this contract is over.

3 Likes

10/P+ is the way to go. Going 9/Stan and 10/P will mean two subscriptions for cricket instead of just the one

2 Likes

Nor do I think Fox will be remotely interested in broadcasting the BBL if they don’t get international rights.

2 Likes