Cricket TV Rights 2024/25-2030/31 (Seven/Foxtel)

Will probably only be played for World Cups every 4 years.

1 Like

which is insane given how tests were 30 years ago - one dayers were clearly the more popular format and only the cricket nerds watched tests

5 Likes

I dont think it’s that much of a surprise - the game can only really sustain a single type of short-form cricket and the format that actually gets people interested was going to be the one that won out.

2 Likes

Nine getting back cricket will bring lots of nostalgia given their long association with the game. They could put BBL and ODI on 9Go! or 9Life during the summer of tennis with Tests on the main channel

2 Likes

if they bring back new horizons as the theme it would all be worth it

2 Likes

Premium sport in 2023 in glorious Standard Definition!

6 Likes

BBL playing second fiddle to tennis is the last thing Cricket Australia wants, especially given the league’s popularity is on the slide and also heavy competition from overseas T20 competitions.

6 Likes

My tip is that the rights will go to 10/Paramount for all cricket and if not everything but the tests which will go to Ch9 or maybe stay with 7

2 Likes

It’ll be in HD by 2025 when all channels update to MPEG-4 and DVB-2

2 Likes

So? Why the fuck would they put it on 9Life?

It hasn’t been anounced yet. However I could see all channels MPEG-4 by 2025 as:

SBS Viceland
SBS World Movies
SBS WorldWatch
7mate
7flix
7Bravo
10 Bold
10 Shake
TVSN
RACING .COM
gecko

Are all in MPEG-4 only from December. I wonder when Nine and ABC will follow suit, as all their multis are MPEG-2?

Probably as Nine/9Gem would be used for tennis, so 9Go and 9Life would have to be used. I personally think 9Go would be a good option for sport if 9/9Gem are being used however I feel like 9Life isn’t a real good option. 9Rush would be even worse as all regional areas/Canberra/Hobart/Darwin don’t have the channel and would miss out.

I wouldn’t be surprised that if we still have the status quo by 2025, the likely result would be that either the cricket ends up on Gem in HD, and the extra tennis stuff would end up shafted to Stan, or vice versa.

You’d sorta hope that there’d be a third HD channel by then, though you wouldn’t be expecting any tests, particularly, during AO fortnight if Nine could help it with one cannibalising the other. May put pay to, say, a revival of the Australia Day test in Adelaide. BBL or limited-overs internationals would be a bit easier to shift to Stan, though that’d require some talking with CA over that.

2 Likes

Interesting comment in tonights ODI - the next home ODI in not likely until January 2024. If this pattern continues, not having the ODIs on FTA may not be the great loss its been made out to be

8 Likes

Tony Jones rubbishing Cricket Australia’s scheduling in tonight’s Nine bulletin. They must be still in the hunt for the rights.

1 Like

The Cricket World Cup Super League is being scrapped - which will remove a number of previously required ODIs from being scheduled, so really the only reason to schedule them now is on a tour near a World Cup/Champions Trophy and wanting some bilaterals to practice.

3 Likes

I think unless there is some meaning behind the ODI series (Tri-Series) or it’s against teams like India, Pakistan etc there won’t be good crowds - especially if it’s in November

1 Like

Poor attendance numbers at the MCG tonight… partly due to the poor weather but most of the general public are unaware it’s on.

4 Likes

Maybe if CA actually advertised the games, and played them at a more convenient time, people would show up. 10,000+ people for the MCG is embarrassing.

1 Like

Maybe… but putting it behind a paywall hasn’t helped. Goes back to the current broadcast rights not working for the game.

6 Likes

Bingo, keen to see how the game rated for Fox Cricket, but my point still stands on advertising and promoting the game. I attended one of the ICC games at Adelaide Oval, two weeks later Australia played there in the ODI’s and both games had poor turnouts, how hard could it have been for CA to promote the ODI series during commercial breaks for the ICC games? Remember Aus’s games were on FTA as well as Fox.

7 Likes