Cricket television rights 2018 (Foxtel/Seven)

Oh really? I would’ve thought Nine would’ve kept that one for themselves and in the archives. That’d be great for it to live on! It’s gotta be better than this from Seven Sport

I was trying to remember, I remember going to the statewide T20 competition before BBL and remember going to when Fox had it but couldn’t remember if they had them or not. I remember sitting at a game thinking of this brilliant idea of a little light on the end of the bail to show when it was dislodged. Then they came out the next season and they blew me away with how they’d done it! Thought it coincided with Ten’s takeover.

1 Like

Doubt it will happen but would be a nice touch.

Wonder if Daddles will make the transfer?

1 Like

Seven did have that theme music first with the police series Bluey, but yes Nine did make it the sound of summer.

4 Likes

I’d expect to see James Brayshaw part of 7’s commentary team now that he is on 7.

1 Like

Urgh, please dont…

The thing about the iconic Channel Nine cricket theme music (at least in it’s original form, later remixes might be something specifically composed for Nine) is that it’s a piece of production music in the KPM library - “New Horizons” by Brian Bennett.

I’m pretty sure anyone can use it if they pay the appropriate usage royalties/licencing fees, since I have heard it used as background music on other TV programs and in ads before.

3 Likes

Bargearse!

2 Likes

So do Crawford Productions own the rights to the theme?

Has there been any comment from the ALP on Mitch Fifield’s stance on this? I would’ve thought they’d be getting mileage out of the Liberals trying to deliver premium sport events into the hands of Foxtel.

2 Likes

So so sad for Ten, still can’t believe it :pensive: Could see the disappointment on Anderson’s face.

I for one welcome fresh commentary teams, It’ll aid the new look immensely. Plus new broadcast direction.

Especially the end of the NSW boys club!

(Sorry to the Nine fanboys and NSW residents of course :wink:)

1 Like

I personally think it’s good that the tennis & cricket are essentially swapping FTA networks and hope something similar happens with Australia’s major Winter sports at some point in the not overly distant future (especially knowing how popular…or should I say, unpopular Seven’s AFL coverage and Nine’s NRL coverage is with viewers).

3 Likes

Are you possibly assuming Seven Cricket will be run out of Melbourne … just as Seven is winding down some of their operations in Melbourne due to budget cuts?

3 Likes

I too am very excited for this. I really hope Seven do have their own commentators and graphics for the matches they show and don’t just use what Fox produce; like I hope everything Seven telecasts they produce as well and Fox Sports simulcast it ad free with Fox Sports producing only the matches they exclusively show.

For me, I don’t mind that international ODIs and T20s have gone to Foxtel. I never watched or had interest in them, only the Test matches and BBL so for what it’s worth I’ll be fine. The BBL T20 format will still be on FTA mostly and I assume Seven will be showing all the finals and GF of the BBL, it would be a disaster if they didn’t.

But what an interesting future we have ahead for our summer of sport in Australia. I can’t wait to see how it all plays out.

2 Likes

What does that mean?

Not sure what this means

1 Like

They have to be careful not to over-reach though - that said Fifields comment on Ben Fordham’s radio program may come back to haunt him later

3 Likes

Um… No.

Or course not, they should do what Ten did for BBL, commentators who played for/from different states. I liked that :smiling_face:

Where do I start with the well documented Sydney-centric Nine Network (believe what you will):

Taylor, Nicholas, Slater, Clarke, producers, other staff, publicity photos always from the SCG, etc.

I loved Richie Benaud and Tony Greig so won’t include them in that.

Maybe I’m being unfair, but many, many others (media, friends, family) have noticed it. How can you not, after 40 years.

The insulting digs (albeit maybe tongue in cheek) that Taylor about Melbourne every time he’s at the MCG :disappointed:

David Knox from TV Tonight even agreed with my in a comment once (though he believed the ABC are worse when it comes to city loyalty - also well documented).

Grubby, Dee Dee and Luke Dennehy had a big talk about just this. But also said Seven are probably Melbourne-centric, also coming down to “Nine have NRL”, “Seven have AFL” and the histories.

Interested what others here think, I’d be surprised if I was the only one .

I wonder which commentary and analysis will be used by overseas rights holders like BT Sport, Willow and Star Sports?