Cricket television rights 2018 (Foxtel/Seven)

These sound like cartoon characters.

Are we people outside Melbourne supposed to know who they are? Very Melbourne-centric post.

Nine has filmed shows in Melbourne for years, any perceived bias is down to logistics and financial realities.

4 Likes

Well said :clap: +1

Deifnitely could happen next broadcast rights negotiations in a few years time.

Can see Nine definitely eyeing the AFL again (they’ve made it clear loyalties mean nothing anymore), bode well for Melbourne and especially Adelaide and Perth where they’re desperate for improvements. Plus dominate Friday and Saturday nights. And public holiday news lead-ins. Brownlow Medal is huge. Etc.

Not sure if Seven want NRL, haven’t seemed that interested the past 20 years, or maybe that’s because Nine have come on too strong? It’s not performing well for Nine, Cynic has mentioned that enough in ratings threads. I don’t know if Nine have won a single night from NRL yet, since both codes have been airing this year?

1 Like

I imagine Fox Sports. As it will be the cleanest feed with no promos for after the cricket.

1 Like

Good fucking lord

8 Likes

I’m 99.9% sure you wouldn’t say the same if all of these were based in…wait for it…Melbourne.

4 Likes

That’s the way the deal has been structured to circumvent the anti-siphoning list. Seven buys rights to sports on the list and doesn’t broadcast them and on-sells to Foxtel that ends up with exclusive rights. Seems to be a possible technical work around though it could be argued that it is not in the spirit of the legislation. Also surprising that Seven would let itself be used that way when Tim Worner even at the media conference said the network was a strong supporter of the list.

6 Likes

Has anyone mentioned the Sydney to Hobart yacht race?? Im assuming Seven will give up the rights now. Ten could potentially pick this up?

James Sutherland told Mumbrella after this afternoon’s press conference that the radio rights would be “the next cab off the rank”. Should it warrant a separate thread or should discussions continue here? I am worry about the ABC going Nine’s way and losing its own broadcast rights after so many years. As I have mentioned a few times before, current commercial rights holders like Macquarie and Triple M do not have presence in every part of Australia and some regional networks are reluctant to relay their coverage, thus the only way fans in those areas get the radio commentary is through the ABC.

2 Likes

I think the radio rights should be available to whoever wants to broadcast cricket - ABC, Triple M and Macquarie. I’m guessing that Crocmedia-SEN would like to be involved. Restricting radio coverage in anyway is silly.

6 Likes

Found this little clip on YouTube. The cricket theme on 9 over the course of each ashes series. My favorite was the theme from 1997-2003.

Interesting that the opener from last summer was pretty much the SAme as the o6/07 opener.

4 Likes

Only because it gives them an advantage over Foxtel (and other subscription services) when bidding for rights.

I’d be very surprised if they didn’t get a cut of the action. It would be good for the sport because Crocmedia’s model would see it syndicated into a significant number of regional markets.

3 Likes

This deal is such a shame for cricket. Having ODIs gone from FTA entirely - not even highlights - is such a shame.

Combined with the JLT cup banished to Fox (and only partially covered) that’s the 50 over form of the game dead in this country - with many people likely only seeing Australia play in ICC tournaments. Which is such a shame.

T20Is I don’t care about - domestic T20 is the better format - but they are likely to keep playing too many of them to satisfy Fox’s demand for content.

The BBL strangled just after it had a faltering season with the dabble into an expanded season - now was not the time to take it back to pay. It obviously remains to be seen what the exact exclusive matches are - but the other thing they will no doubt lose is the energy that Ten pushed the product to try and make the most out of their rights.

Ten needing the BBL to do well made the BBL do well. For Seven it’ll just be some content to fill a tennis shaped gap.

I suspect the first test on Seven’s going to make me long for Nine’s coverage.

9 Likes

Cmo:

• I don’t work for/have an association with Foxtel nor have shares in News Corp or its associated companies
  • No one in my family works for/has an association with Foxtel nor have shares in News Corp or its associated companies
  • To the best of my knowledge, none of my friends work for/has an association with Foxtel nor have shares in News Corp or its associated companies

Therefore, I have no monetary or personal attachment reason to ‘suck up’ to Foxtel like you’re suggesting I am. While I have a Foxtel Now subscription (and therefore stand to benefit from this new agreement), that doesn’t really impact what I think about it one way or another.

As to your allegation, I’m not sure how you can reach that conclusion since I’ve been careful not to express a strong opinion about both the possibility of and now the reality of a Foxtel/Seven deal. The reason for that is I think there’s strong positives (eg; two new networks approaching cricket coverage with ‘fresh’ eyes) and negative (eg; the end of Ten’s excellent BBL/WBBL coverage) aspects which balance each other out. The one strong opinion I have about the deal (which is the reason I believe you went after me) is that I think the ‘doomsday’ statements about what Seven’s coverage will be like and cricket’s future which some members (like you) have expressed today are frankly hyperbolic. While having international limited overs matches & some of the BBL exclusive to Foxtel will inevitably impact the sport in some ways, there’s still a significant amount of cricket which will be available on FTA to ensure it means part of the public consciousness each Summer

3 Likes

I love how so people are predicting doom & gloom over Seven’s Cricket Coverage, (which you are allowed to do on this forum) but here’s the thing, they haven’t broadcasted a single match of Cricket yet!, l think it’s best to wait until Seven actually broadcast the first day of the first test first, then you can know for sure whether not Seven’s Coverage is ok or Pathetic.

6 Likes

Last time Seven broadcast cricket was the 2005 Australia v England v Bangladesh ODI Series.

Tony Squires, Stuart MacGill and Kerry O Keefe presented a Sky simulcast from Australia, with the moniker “Between the Innings”.

4 Likes

Quick Guide from The Guardian

Fox Sports (pay tv):
all men’s Tests
women’s internationals
BBL (43 matches simulcast with Seven, 16 exclusive)
WBBL (all 23 matches)
men’s ODIs
men’s T20s

Seven Network (free to air):
all men’s Tests
women’s internationals
BBL (43 matches)
WBBL (23 matches)

Considering Seven get the best of what Nine and Ten had, I don’t think the deal is bad for them.

It’s the ODIs and T20s which will suffer. if viewers don’t subscribe to Foxtel. They will become irrelevant and possibly die.

5 Likes

Front pages:

2 Likes

The Melbourne News Corp paper has other headline news.

and Sydney’s The Daily Telegraph gives it similar treatment.

1 Like

of course Seven West Media and news corp would do positive spin on it! Honestly no surprises there.

1 Like