Cricket television rights 2018 (Foxtel/Seven)

Analysis by the News.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/game-set-snatch-how-channel-nine-lost-the-cricket/news-story/d2715a11577ccc0154c3394c038aac9e

[quote=“akymbo82, post:1081, topic:1762, full:true”]
Have cricket Australia sucked in Seven? Do they not realise that Test cricket isn’t a high rating sport besides the last session? [/quote]

whats your point?

AFL doesn’t rate at all in the 1st and 3rd biggest TV markets in Australia - yet that paid WAAAY too much for someting only melbourne watches.

Cricket - Australila’s only national sport, with a following world wide of billions of people.

1 Like

I highly doubt Seven would’ve agreed to that, for the matches they’re allowed to broadcast.

It’ll be like the AFL (Fox Footy), two production teams, with Fox Cricket simulcasting all of Seven’s productions.

1 Like

Yes, I see it as an absolute disaster for cricket in Australia. Cricket is an everyman’s game here, and should be available to view for free. Kids without access to Foxtel won’t be able to see the games and so the sport will just fade into obscurity over time. One of the things about Australian cricket is that even the kids who aren’t well off get into the game partly because the game is freely viewable on TV, while over in England where Sky took over the rights from the BBC, it’s an elite sport.

The same thing happened when the state cricket matches were removed from FTA - they’ve just faded into obscurity. Anyone remember that ING $50,000 sign? That was great fun to watch.

The anti-siphoning list is broken and might as well be thrown in the trash. It effectively means that for any sporting event an FTA broadcaster can offer Foxtel the breasts and thighs, with the FTA broadcaster retaining the tough, stringy wings in return for a big cash payment. Disgusting.

5 Likes

Point is, Seven are telling the press during the media releases they will increase profit margins. I am simply asking how on those numbers? How do you increase your profit margins when you don’t have every eye watching one channel. How do you increase profit when all your games are during the day when people are outside, working or have it on in the background?

It was questions, as a shareholder you want to make sure the business is making profits and sensible business cases, is this?

Because under the Foxtel deal it will still be locked behind a paywall, and the two can share the revenues. FTA would make the content free, which would be lost income for CA.

Announced on Fox Footy tonight that Fox will provide its own commentary for test matches.

1 Like

The new cricket rights deal was the top story on Seven News Melbourne this evening and went for three minutes.
Also, ABC Radio PM’s report on the new deal: http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/pm/richies-vow-to-continue-to-honour-richie-benaud-at-the-cricket/9656466

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

Do you know Melbourne alone often outrates NRL’s 5 city total!

Who produces the cricket matches that Seven can show though? Seven or Fox Sports?

Or will CA be doing it’s own production and graphics etc of the games? :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

To be fair, he has every right thinking this due to Seven’s continued ratings success. They have been Australia’s most watched FTA network for the last decade or so have they not. I’m not just saying this because I’m a Seven fanboy either.

I will find it exceptionally funny if attendance is down this year due to the switch in the rights. They are going to find it difficult to promote some games if they are exclusively on Foxtel.

6 Likes

dont attack him just coz he like the idea:) i like it as well:) i never liked the cricket when it was 9 to me it was boring and was like watching paint dry but with the foxtel 7 deal i fell like its more exciting:D and it shows that some time pay tv can be better then fta

The last Friday before the Commonwealth Games, 30 March:
AFL Melbourne 206,000
NRL Syd, Bris and Mel 436,000

4 Likes

The Sydney Morning Herald’s view on the new rights deal.

Some new points:
Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland conceded he had wanted the rights to stay with FTA networks, but they were unable to offer a big enough premium to the previous deal
Seven also has the rights to men’s ODIs and Twenty20s but will not broadcast them as part of the deal
Foxtel will not display advertising during its live coverage unlike Nine and Ten

RIP the sound of summer. This is like losing the national anthem!

Also hoping a few of the commentary team from BBL jump ship, most likely to Foxtel where some of them came from originally I think. Hopefully Gilly, Punter (unless he becomes new Aussie coach), Junior and Damien Fleming all appear elsewhere - without the wicket of truth though.

Will also be interesting to see any innovations - Ten brought about the talking to them as they’re playing and the Zinger wickets, if Seven/Fox has both now, will they introduce some things to both formats or only some.

4 Likes

Based on what I saw on Fox Sports News. The will co produce joint games to produce 1 clean graphic free feed but each will apply their own commentary, analysis and graphics. My understanding is NEP will do this (as they currently do for 7 and Fox Sports).

2 Likes

Both Fox and 7 are keen to continue using the cricket theme from 9 especially for test matches. Reported on Fox Sports News.

1 Like

Talking to players in game was already commonplace before Ten got its hands on T20. Infact, Adam Gilchrist was mic’d up when he was still playing!

Fox claimed credit for the Zing Bails today too, suggesting they used them when they last held the rights. I can’t recall.

2 Likes