Cricket on Radio

No matter what format they are running in 6 years time, I’m sure Macquarie aren’t selling 954, 1278 or 882 any time soon. Therefore I’m sure they will still air the cricket coverage on those stations even if the format may change. Just like Talking Lifestyle broadcasted AFL coverage before it became MSR.

2 Likes

I’d like them to broadcast the English summers on MSR. Something relaxing in the evening listening to cricket. Not sure if BBC radio can work on a commercial network.

No worries, Crocmedia can call coverage from the TV/online for $200/night and provide to MSR. Seems to be their going rate. :wink:

2 Likes

My pet hate listening to coverage on the radio with commentary watching TV, so I always choose the ABC for rugby league commentary. Can’t avoid it for bbl however.

Cricket Australia executive GM of media, communications and marketing, Ben Amarfio, says he is baffled by Triple M’s decision not to bid for the new cricket radio rights.

you’d think someone who was SCA’s former Melbourne GM would have some concept of the reasons why SCA pulled out given they clearly said they couldnt make it work financially…

4 Likes

Yeah I think SCA just wanted the Ashes.

BBC Radio 5 Live is geoblocked but accessible with a UK VPN; there’s also Guerilla Cricket if you don’t wish to take that route. Unfortunately, Henry ‘Blowers’ Blofeld is no longer a feature of the BBC coverage.

1 Like

I do use a VPN on Tunein radio.

What is the Latest on if Kerry O’Keeffe has signed with Macquarie Sports Radio or Crocmedia/SEN?

The 2018-19 BBL fixture was released yesterday and there will be three matches overlapping with the day/night test between Australia and Sri Lanka: Scorchers v Thunder on January 24, Stars v Heat on January 27 and Scorchers v Renegades on January 28. The clash not only will be awkward for Fox Sports and Seven, but also for Crocmedia which will cover both test and BBL on the same day. It will need to have two separate commentary teams and two separate production teams, and radio stations in regional areas will miss out on the first session of BBL game as it overlaps with the third session of test cricket.

That’s pretty daft really. Scheduling clashes like this will probably will become more normal, though, as T20 cricket and test cricket splinter into essentially two different sports with different personnel (and attracting different audiences).

2 Likes

Macquarie has announced its first big signing for this summer’s cricket coverage: former Australian coach Darren Lehmann.
https://www.sportsradio.com.au/darren-lehmann-joins-macquarie-radios-summer-of-cricket/

Have MacQuarie Sports Radio Or Pacific Star Network/crocmedia signed Kerry O’Keffe to their Commentary team in addition ti skull being signed by Foxtel?

Yes I agree. Even though I’m a fan of all forms of the game… I don’t necessarily think a D/N test should interrupt the BBL.

And maybe that’s where we should have a preference for day-time tests.

SEN unveiling the “SEN 11”. Their cricket team.

Gerard Whateley, Anthony Hudson, Simon Katich, Damien Fleming announced so far.

1 Like

Mel Jones and Lisa Sthalekar were the additions announced today for SEN’s cricket coverage.

1 Like

Former cricketers Ryan Harris, Doug Bollinger and Aakash Chopra are joining SEN’s cricket coverage. Chopra is currently a commentator for Star Sports in India.

The SEN XI was finalised this morning with the signing of former AFL player turned commentator turned commentator Liam Pickering and broadcaster Jack Heverin.
https://radioinfo.com.au/news/sen-xi-finalised-addition-two-all-rounders

Jones and Sthalekar joining SEN’s test coverage is a big loss for the ABC, especially with the latter’s coverage expanding to cover every women’s international and every WBBL match this season.

1 Like

Has MacQtyarue sporrtsv radio signed someone to replace Damien Fleming whio was signed by SEN?