COVID-19: News Coverage 😷

The BBC has combined its London and its South East regional updates in the mornings:

5 Likes

627 deaths in a single day in Italy, taking the country’s fatalities above 4,000. Horrifying.

1 Like

STV (ITV affiliate in Scotland) are now producing one pan-regional six o clock news program. Previously there were separate programs for north and central Scotland* (both of which included an opt-out or “local window” for part of the region). So effectively one program instead of 4. To date, there have been no changes to ITV local news.

*South Scotland is part of ITV’s Border region, so is unaffected so far.

3 Likes

Sky News Australia will launch a 24 hour pop-up channel Sky News COVID-19 on Monday (March 23) at 6am AEDT, to cover the latest on the pandemic. It will be broadcast via Foxtel’s Channel 604, as well as on Sky News channels 103 and 600.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/television/every-breaking-detail-peter-stefanovic-laura-jayes-front-new-sky-news-covid19-channel/news-story/6a4132504e644fe6ebe010ca53a13d67

1 Like

Nine bulletin last night:

More elements in the Melbourne/Adelaide/Perth version:

3 Likes

CBS covering the lack of social distancing on Bondi Beach.

4 Likes

The ABC have a weekly show on a Friday night now called ‘The Virus’

4 Likes

THIS :clap: DOESNT :clap: NEED :clap: TO :clap: BE :clap: A :clap: THING :clap:

20 Likes

Am i the only one thinking that this is becoiming really over the top?> The media seem to be really fueling and milking for this for whatever reason (ratings most likely) I get that we need to be informed, but do we really need to create a channel dedicated to CONVID-19 f let alone having these over the top broadcast just giving out the same information (Yes I know that information is changing daily) but they are fueling the panic in all Australians and creating uncessary panic…

6 Likes

So? I think in these trying times, it’s reasonable to allow leniency. Especially in a case where parking is clearly not in demand at the train station there.

2 Likes

Are you serious ?? You must be a teenager if you’re not taking it seriously.

3 Likes

Taking the pandemic seriously is one thing.

Running a 24-hour(?) rolling news channel dedicated to it is another.

13 Likes

Sunrise:

Today:

5 Likes

There is a fine line to a lot of this - but I fear the coverage is becoming all too consuming and frankly isn’t cutting through (partly because people dont seem to be consuming it) or its causing the opposite.

The coverage needs to be sensible and measured - now is not the time for opinion talking heads.

10 Likes

Personally I feel the 24-hour channel dedicated to coronavirus coverage is excessive. Extended coverage - yes. Live press conferences - yes. But Sky News needs to cover other news and events as well.

4 Likes

I was demonstrating how 3AW have been spreading misinformation and fake news. Those trucks aren’t delivering groceries to a supermarket that’s open to the public.

As for the parking fine, that car park is in a retail area and has a two hour limit. The railway station car park is on the opposite side of the tracks. Coles getting fined here is nothing new, they’ve probably incorporated the extra cost into their expense budgets.
It’s so common for these trucks to be fined you can see them in street view.

5 Likes

Was going to say, those trucks are there daily - only have to take a train through East Richmond to see for yourself (or, you know, speak to the media team at Coles)

2 Likes

Excatly. Obviously the media doesn’t take into consdieration that the constant prescence of this talking about it 24/7 creates more fear. Yes it is a serious virus, but there has to be a balance.

1 Like

At least it’s buried on Sky where nobody will see it, but we so don’t need this. I’m already switching off TV news in general because there is too much coverage and we’re already bombarded on social media all day long with news on the pandemic.

Still, if a 24 hour Sky channel is enough to get my boomer parents worried enough to start taking appropriate actions like social distancing then perhaps let them go for it

11 Likes

True , I agree.

I guess it’s up to me as the individual to limit myself of the coverage . :slight_smile: Only tune in the news when I need too. Because it’s saturated with the coronovirus at the moment and obviously for good reason.

1 Like