COVID-19: Greater Sydney & NSW Re-Opens

Appears to be 12 in total, 3 in the past seven days. As for posing questions, it certainty does, but I feel that’s a good thing if it’s accurate.

Ok well that isn’t as concerning then as 12 active cases unlinked. But still 3 cases. That is probably the current clusters going around.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s right, COVID Live have NSW sitting at 435 unknown cases (total) since the pandemic began.

12 unknowns ever would be a staggeringly low number. I think since this outbreak has happened NSW have ~14 mystery cases.

Still, more than three of them could be active, don’t they count active cases for more than seven days?

Perhaps they are active, just the three in the last seven days.

Be good if NSW Health were putting these out there daily in easy to understand form rather than hidden away for others to disseminate.

1 Like
2 Likes

NSW are doing a really good job to have only had 1 locally acquired case in the past 3 days. I know they’ve received a lot of criticism but they seemingly are getting on top of this without needing to go down the path of wide scale lockdowns again. It’s more the other states that have put the pressure to manage this differently. Hopefully soon we can get Australia back to where it was in early December.

I think the quarter million people in the Northern beaches would have something to say about that.

2 Likes

I meant wide scale lockdowns. They put in a localised lockdown where there were a large number of cases, rather than locking down the entire city like a lot of people have suggested. I think it was the right approach.

2 Likes

Agree and it shows that if you’re early enough with test, tract and isolate a localised lockdown works. I fear Vic will just throw us into full lockdown mode if we get a surge like the recent NSW cluster given our localised lockdown did not work, but unfortunately it was all too little too late at that stage of the second wave in VIC.

Perhaps the different physical characteristics of Sydney’s Northern Beaches made that area easier to lock down, compared to a number of suburbs in Melbourne?

2 Likes

Was definitely the case. Even Gladys said that. There’s only 3 main roads/access points into the area so it was way easier to do a localized lockdown.

2 Likes

I don’t blame Victoria for doing that if there were three distinct clusters. I think the difference now is we have the genomic testing. The thing is if we did go into another lockdown in Victoria it wouldn’t be for nearly as long as it has been before.

Putting data into a publically accessible report isnt hiding it away

1 Like

I disagree, yes the information is publicly available on the website, but could easily be incorporated into the dashboard which is much more accessible. I’ve no doubt the NSW government is fully aware of how many clicks of views the dashboard receives compared to the nitty gritty details on their website.

Surely it would be better for the government to put these figures put than have randoms on social media interpret them?

2 Likes

Not including it on a dashboard, but electing to publish it in an alternate (yet still open to access) form is not hiding it - NSW has proactively made rafts of COVID related data openly available

If the past 10 months are anything to go by, publishing more data in an “easier format” wouldnt make a lick of difference - randoms will still put their own interpretation on them (and still continue to claim that the data is being doctored or hidden)

2 Likes

6 new locally transmitted cases. Only 12,700 tests yesterday.

From the new cases today, there is currently no link to a previous cluster at this stage.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Another question about Victoria and Daniel Andrews in a NSWs press conference. Seriously, what has this got to do with the virus spreading or seeding throughout Sydney?

12 Likes