COVID-19: Greater Sydney & NSW Re-Opens

I really don’t like this random number throwing. It’s the ultimate fear mongering tool.

They will have to stop putting out a daily number at some stage, it’s too much of a weapon.

For as long as they do release daily figures people will keep making predictions.

Overseas keep reporting numbers, no matter how high they get.

Unfortunately it looks like it’s inevitable.

1 Like

If restrictions aren’t working and some not following rules it looks like we won’t see the peak anytime soon.

1 Like

Big part of it was testing - even by July last year testing rates weren’t nearly what they are now. We’ve seen cases jump around in NSW, but usually within a narrow band. I’m fairly satisfied that the surveillance of this outbreak is good.

BUT… there will be missed links. I think it’s safe to assume, with contact tracers overwhelmed, that true case numbers are somewhat higher than official figures suggest. Official figures will pass 500 this week by my estimate, unless there’s some stunning reversal.

The things that Gladys is letting you guys do during your lockdown…

7 Likes

Three patients and two staff members at St George Hospital in Kogarah returned positive results on August 13 and 14.

“The two staff members who tested positive are both fully vaccinated,” the spokesperson said.

“Two of the three patients who tested positive have had one dose of vaccine. One patient has not been vaccinated.”

2 Likes

A woman in her 70s from western Sydney, who had COVID and was not vaccinated, died at Westmead Hospital.

129 out of the 452 cases are linked to a known case or cluster – 105 are household contacts and 24 are close contacts – and the source of infection for 323 cases is under investigation. 101 cases were in isolation throughout their infectious period and 24 were in isolation for part of their infectious period. 30 cases were infectious in the community, and the isolation status of 297 cases remains under investigation.

189 cases were from western Sydney, 132 from south west Sydney, 18 from western NSW (including 16 in Dubbo, 1 each in Broken Hill and Wilcannia), 10 from Hunter New England (including five in Maitland, two in Newcastle and three in Lake Macquarie), and one each from Central Coast and Illawarra Shoalhaven regions.

2 Likes

Glad it didn’t get over 500 today. But with the numbers being 452 (and with so many people getting tested), i also can see the numbers reaching 500 soon. Unfortunately.

1 Like

Two cases at Bourke have now been confirmed in addition to 91 in Dubbo, four in Walgett and three in Mudgee.

Western NSW Local Health District chief executive Scott McLachlan said both Bourke cases were infectious in the community.

4 Likes

Wonder if they had any PPE given the lack of social distancing? :thinking:

2 Likes

There are about 900 ICU beds in NSW, with 69 used for COVID patients. Imagine if the ICU beds fill up. This will not look good. So we can say the lockdown is preventing a surge in cases, but the lockdown still isn’t bringing the numbers down.

You would need 5k cases a day to fill those 1000 odd ICU beds.

And by the time we even get to that point we would be largely vaccinated.

It’s climbing, but not that bloody fast.

I don’t think the 900 beds is JUST for COVID, it’s for everyone (including non COVID patients)?

Of course, they could improvise and set up temporary ICU facilities if it gets that bad, but surely hope not.

2 Likes

Out of today’s new cases. One was recorded in the Southern Highlands in the 2577 postcode aka Moss Vale
Just providing a small tidbit from my local area.

1 Like

Don’t forget the majority of ICU beds are used for patients who don’t have covid. They’re not sitting idle waiting for covid patients. Add to that the staff required to provide care for each patient and it wouldn’t take a bit surge to put pressure on the healthcare systems.

5 Likes

Just heard that all staff at Channel 9 in Sydney were called into a meeting a few hours ago regarding a positive case in the office.

1 Like