COVID-19: Greater Sydney & NSW Re-Opens

Which brings me to my question, why can’t we see the likes of Kerry Chant or Jeremy McAnulty doing these press conferences? They have all the relevant information on hand that is always seemingly twisted by Gladys and co.

Why are playgrounds still open in sydney? there are over 5000 active cases!

1 Like

I don’t think they are. It’s possibly someone breaking the rules. A friend was disgusted at how many people were playing in playgrounds. The same thing is happening here in Melbourne. I walked past a Playground near the botanical gardens on the weekend and there were probably about 20 kids in them.

1 Like

I’m by no means condoning deliberately breaking the rules but I just can’t help but feel empathy for this particular example. You can’t just keeps kids locked up all day with all of that energy. If we are all struggling and we are adults, just imagine how hard it is for kids who can’t express adult emotion. I just think taking them to the park for a little is okay. We should be focusing our efforts on combating the indoor transmission.

3 Likes

Bang on. For my family that was the worst aspect of the Melbourne lockdown last year, luckily we have a decent sized backyard but many don’t or live in a flat.

Once they reopened, we made a point of visiting as many different playgrounds within our 5km radius to at least get variety of experiences for the kids and us as parents.

As far as I’m concerned there would have to be extreme circumstances to close playgrounds again which should be risk assessed on a case by case basis.

3 Likes

Kerry Chant wasn’t happy this morning when told by a reporter that some people had travelled all the way from Sydney to Albury to get vaccinated. Is there a vaccine supply issue in Sydney?

No there isnt a supply issue, that said there’s a lot about this that seems suss too that suggests that its masking some other kind of reason for the travel - Albury is a fair distance from Sydney and wouldnt be the first place you’d be looking for a vaccine even if there was a shortage.

2 Likes

Are they open in Victoria?

Outdoor in council reserves yes.

2 Likes

That’s the park I drive past and see all the kids playing on the soccer field, their dads hanging around the outside chatting and laughing without masks on and old guys hanging around the picnic tables down the side. Arncliffe Park is packed most afternoons.

2 Likes

The play equipment in parks was all taped off with warning signs displayed during the first lockdown in my area. That hasn’t happened this time.

I haven’t seen so many kids out and about in parks, constructing bike jumps in the dirt, building tree houses in reserves and riding around on bikes and skateboards since the early '90s. My late teens nephew and nieces barely played outside unless they were doing organised sport. Clearly the kids don’t want to be stuck in the house with their parents all day. Don’t blame them but it is against the lockdown rules to congregate and I did see Police moving kids along on one occasion. Felt kind of conflicted about that because it was good to see kids not glued to electronic devices.

2 Likes

UPDATE:
Meanwhile, a person currently in Walgett in western NSW has tested positive to COVID. The ABC says the person is a 27-year-old man whose positive test also forced the Bathurst Correctional Centre into precautionary lockdown this afternoon. He was tested on Saturday while in custody at the prison in a routine screening procedure for new inmates. He was released on bail on Monday and was confirmed as a COVID-positive case this afternoon.

2 Likes

Andrew clennell says a statewide lockdown is on the agenda for crisis cabinet. Are people still going to argue that not having a ring of steel was the right decision?

Yes there’s reports of more cases connected with Dubbo and 11 cases at an aged care home in Newcastle.

Think the penny may have finally dropped that things are completely out of control.

3 Likes

She can’t weasel her way out of this. Despite Andrew’s huge failures, he went hard to protect regional communities.

Hopeless government.

2 Likes

Alright, shut the whole state down. There’s too many cases around regional areas or have been to regional areas.

2 Likes

Berejiklian is too pig headed to admit that her Government got it wrong.

5 Likes

I’d want to know whether it’s a practical measure (and it’s going to make a discernable difference) first before committing to it and that there are appropriate resources available (and before anyone says ADF, that’s all well and good but they don’t have, nor are they able to be given powers to enforce any roadblocks).

Of course it is. We’ve now seen Walgett go into a lockdown. A large indigenous population.

Unbelievable. Give authorised vehicles a pass or something so they’re not held up.

ADF can’t endorse, but can assist.

4 Likes

Before people call for the entire state of NSW to be locked down, just stop and think for a minute. NSW is a large state, much bigger than Victoria.

Is it really necessary to lockdown every single town? Some of the more remote towns have probably never seen any cases. What should be factored in is current movement between certain towns, for example, if barely anyone is going in and out of a place like Bourke, the chances of the virus being brought there are low.

1 Like