COVID-19: Greater Sydney & NSW Re-Opens

Walgett is one of the more remote towns, and it’s just gone into lockdown. Nowhere is safe.

It’s getting to the point that the list of regions/towns NOT in lockdown is shorter than those that are.

7 Likes

Short answer - yes. Lock it all down.

4 Likes

How’s all that pleading Gladys?

1 Like

I am someone who absolutely despises lockdowns, and feel they should be the absolute last resort. However, I feel at this point there should be a 28 day strategy to prevent the situation in regional NSW getting out of hand.
Day 1-7- circuit breaker lockdown, as painful as it is.
Day 8-28- snap back to current level of regional restrictions, but with a 50km radius limit (unless exceptional circumstances) to minimise any potential spread between regions.
After this, the situation would hopefully be back under control enough to allow freedom of movement across regional NSW once more.
This would also be contingent on a ring of steel around Sydney, which at this point has to be done as it is quite clear the current model is failing the residents of regional NSW and we are being dragged further and further into this mess.

What is your interpretation of a circuit breaker?

4/5 reasons to leave home, basically the Victorian model.

1 Like

So the restrictions that are in Sydney and some Regional NSW LGAs now?

1 Like

Yes, the very same. I went with using Victoria as the example to make my point though as there is still the perception from some people (certainly if you look at social media) that Sydney/affected regional LGAs are only in a ‘lockdown lite’ even though that is not true. I didn’t want to start to go down that particular rabbit hole.

My crazy solution to the nonsense going on with Gladys’ failure. Lockdown the entire Northern Half of NSW. Give the Southern Half to Victoria temporarily and have Gladys work at a take away shop instead of being Premier.

3 Likes

There are so many areas now in lockdown, how are they keeping up with the dates of each. What a mess Sydney and the rest of NSW is in.

2 Likes

Or permanently for that matter.

1 Like

Then we’d have to rename ourselves New North South Wales.

3 Likes

And then you could order your sandwich in Gladys wrap.

3 Likes

In an ideal world, towns on the border of NSW and other states (which almost invariably have more of an affinity with the non-NSW state) would be let go.

But it probably won’t ever happen.

1 Like

Gladys’ ego would explode if it happens.

As an Albury resident, I would definitely be quite happy to see us at least temporarily administered by Victoria. This would give us the freedom to travel in Victoria once again and would mean less of a burden for Victoria as well as the checkpoints would be further north and in a far less populated area.
Only downside is that Victoria is much more trigger happy on lockdowns but at least that would make things consistent for Albury and Wodonga (as opposed to the current situation where the rules can vary wildly depending on what side of the river you are on).

As it is we are virtually Victorians anyway- our health service is run by Victoria, we get Regional Victorian TV channels and we prefer AFL to NRL. I think the only time we truly identify with NSW culturally is during Origin lol.

5 Likes

If numerous towns from across the state is reporting new cases with most places having less well-resourced healthcare systems then lockdowns are necessary. Walgett has a large Indigenous population who are vulnerable to this virus so it’s important to protect them and lockdown is the only option.

3 Likes

I’m not sure we’re at the stage of locking down the whole state. But it further reaffirms the need to absolutely lock Sydney travelers down.

1 Like

How long have we been asking for a ring of steel (or something similar) around Sydney?

Now look at what’s happening :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

I would like Bungendore to be annexed by the ACT. Permanently would be OK, too.

2 Likes