COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Today’s VIC and NSW numbers

COVID restrictions in four local government areas in north east NSW will be lifted tonight, coinciding with the end of Easter long weekend.

No new community-acquired cases of COVID have been detected in Queensland in the last 24 hours; four cases have been recorded in hotel quarantine.

2 Likes

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-update-victoria-5-april-2021

Update: Close Contacts from Queensland and NSW now in Victoria

We continue to work through primary close contacts associated with exposure sites with only negative results received so far.

All are being supported to quarantine for 14 days following their exposure.

Victorian health authorities are working closely with their NSW and Queensland counterparts to cross-reference QR Code data from exposure sites with travel permit data held by Service Victoria to identify any potential close contacts.

AUS-NZ travel bubble:

The UK government will be holding vaccine passport trials, including at the World Snooker Championship and the FA Cup final at Wembley.

The trial will explore whether large-scale events can be held in closed settings without social distancing.

Today’s VIC and NSW numbers

Today Queensland have recorded 0 new cases of COVID-19 - none in HQ or the community.

1 Like

The latest:

1 Like

Ms Ardern said New Zealand would manage the travel bubble by effectively considering Australia another region , albeit a more complicated one. Outbreaks would see restrictions be reinstated on a state-by-state basis. Ms Ardern gave hypothetical scenarios to demonstrate what this would mean:

“For instance, if a case is found that is quite clearly linked to a border worker in a quarantine facility and is well contained, you’ll likely see travel continue in the same way as you could see life continue if that happened here in Australia.If, however, a case was found that was not clearly linked to the border, and a state responded by a short lockdown to identify more information, we’d likely pause flights from that state in the same way we would stop travel into and out of a region in New Zealand as if it was were going into a full lockdown.And if we saw multiple cases of unknown origin, we would likely suspend flights for a set period of time.”

the flights would be called green zone flightst hat means there’ll be no passengers on that flight who have come from anywhere but Australia in the last 14 days. They will also be flown from crew who have not flown on any high-risk routes for a set period of time. Passengers will be required to wear a mask on a flight and will also be asked to download and use the NZ COVID Tracer app for use in New ZealandOn arrival, passengers will be taken through what we call “the green zones” at the airport, meaning there’ll be no contact with those arriving from other parts of the world and also undertaking random temperature checks of those arriving as an extra precaution."

Interesting that despite NZ stating a number of times that they would not under any circumstances consider a state specific system in regards to potential outbreaks once implementing the travel bubble, they’ve gone and done exactly that.

I think they’ve realised who’s calling the shots when it comes to Australia’s COVID-19 response. Also, considering how quickly other states close borders to an outbreak, I guess NZ authorities are pretty much able to treat each state as a stand-alone entity.

I don’t think it’s been since the Crossroads outbreak that we’ve seen large-scale community transmission of COVID-19 spread from one state’s jurisdiction to another (in that instance, it was Victoria into NSW). Even the recent Byron event was somewhat subdued compared to what could’ve happened.

3 Likes

We still need the travel ban to be dropped from the Australian side…hopefully Morrison comes out right after Ardern is done.

2 Likes

Northern Beaches/Berala over Summer? Certainly those were serious enough to close state borders.

That didn’t spread to community transmission in another state.

Wasn’t the Black Rock cluster over NYE in Vic linked to the Northern Beaches outbreak? This grew to 27 cases.

Great news regarding NZ given my bro and his wife just recently moved over there (and are having a baby soon so that was hard on my parents but now hopefully means that they can visit in the coming months).

1 Like

from Morrison’s press cofrence australia has dropped its travel ban with NZ

3 Likes
1 Like

The Prime Minister says Australia’s delayed vaccine rollout boils down to international supply issues.

“The challenges Australia have had has been a supply problem. It is pure and simple. There were over 3 million doses from overseas that never came. And that’s obviously resulted in an inability to get 3 million overdoses out and distributed through the network. I think it is really important that these points are made very clearly when we are talking about the rollout of the vaccine.”

“The vaccine figures I have of the 5th of April is 854,983 . Of that, there are some 280,943 that have been done through the GP clinics and the GP respiratory clinics and other federal agencies. That is in addition to those that have been done through age and disability facilities which is around 112,830,” Prime Minister Scott Morrison said.