COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Yeh I get that. But he was literally a lot of places. And not one other (known) infection. It’s good. But a bit strange.

I was surprised as well. But perhaps WA’s contact tracers were a lot better. I find it hard to believe QLD didn’t find these connections earlier

1 Like

Are blood clots life threatening if they are found early though? Seems a 1 in 500,000 case is worth the risk.

1 Like

something i have found out whilest searing for something is that is all venues have till april 23rd to either use the Victorian Government service victoria QR code check in or use the Victorian Government Visitation API inked digital system . which has providers that are already connected to it. and if venues arent useing the providers using the Victorian Government Visitation API inked digital system then they can either change providers that are linked or must then use the vic services victoria QR codes

I thought the service Vic app was compulsory NOW. Not one place I have been doesn’t have it. And it is great. Way too long though to have this mandated.

well its not compulsory till april 23rd. the vic app i have found most places i been to use it .A venue owner i was chatting to once said its easier to to set up then having to use a 3rd party then, having to find that provider wasnt conneced to the vic govt api linked system

Yeah I just assumed it was compulsory now because places that weren’t using it last week have been using it this week. It is great. I just hope people start checking in again because I know a lot of people found it too hard. So if hopefully word gets around it is much easier now.

Victoria has revised the caps on international arrivals over the next month

The Victorian government wanted to include 120 places in its cap for “economic cohorts” to “increase economic activity in the state”. ie international students who would pay for good and services and rent ,international film crews, infrastructure workers but that idea has been knocked back by the Commonwealth.

The federal government needs Victoria to take some of the Tasmanian travelers who are returning on government repatriation flights (as opposed to commercial flights).
internaitonal flights to here in victoria will resumde on thursday april 8th with 800 people a week but from From April 15, 1,000 passengers will be accepted into hotel quarantine in Victoria per week and 120 of those places will be made available to the Tasmanians arriving on the Department of Foreign Affairs repatriation flights.
All 332 Tasmanians will arrive by May 13 — and after that a cap of 1,000 international travellers will be accepted per week.asmania agreed to quarantine 1,500 foreign workers for Victorian farms.The first of those Pacific workers arrived in Victoria today and they’ll head out to work on farms in Sunraysia, the Yarra Valley and Gipplsand next week.

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-update-victoria-2-april-2021

As of yesterday, a total of 56 primary close contacts have now been identified in Victoria linked to Tier 1 exposure sites in Queensland and NSW.

All have returned an initial negative coronavirus test result with the remainder of results pending.

All are being supported to quarantine for 14 days following their exposure.

Victorian health authorities are working closely with their NSW and Queensland counterparts to cross-reference QR Code data from exposure sites with travel permit data held by Service Victoria to identify any potential close contacts.

Professor Kidd says “each year we have a number of cases of people who have the cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, we have people who have other cases of clotting with low platelets presenting with a range of other conditions, including a condition called heparin-induced thrombocytopenia”.He also says Pfizer has been used in the vaccination of quarantine and Border Force workers and people working in health care who may be at risk of coming in contact with people with COVID-19 as well as to the residents of residential aged care and disability care facilities across the country.

Recipients in Phase 1B are receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Don’t forget to get out and enjoy that sun :wink: watching that live thread can be a little consuming sometimes.

4 Likes

If I recall correctly from Coronacast…

These clots can also be in the head, so if not treated they can cause a stroke, which could be fatal.

If someone gets a headache on day 4, they should get treated immediately. (A headaches on the day after vaccination is normal.)

Although this story is about the Oxford vaccine from AstraZeneca, there have been cases with other vaccines too.

Females under 55 years old have been more likely get clots in this circumstance. Unfortunately this group covers is also a huge number of staff in health, aged care, and other jobs with higher risk of exposure to SARS-CoV-2, such as cleaning staff.

Ideally perhaps women <55 y should get a different vaccine. Sadly the Australian Government hadn’t obtained a large number of doses of any other vaccine (they only got a small amount of the BioNTech vaccine from Pfizer, and no others).

Absolutely. The rate of clots initially appeared to be about the same as without the vaccine, so clots are still very very rare.
The risk of dying from COVID-19 is much higher, especially in most of the world with significant community transmission.

I’ll happily get either vaccine as soon as I can. Just waiting & getting frustrated at how slow the rollout is, compared to Morrison & Hunt’s announcement promising 4M doses by now (they’re more than 3M does behind that schedule).

1 Like

Today’s VIC and NSW numbers

1 Like

World numbers seem to be steadily rising again fast.

1 Like

That seems like an oxymoron. Can something steadily rise fast?

2 Likes

Queensland had another day with one locally transmitted case who was a close contact of a cluster and already in quarantine for testing positive.

Travellers entering South Australia from Queensland no longer have to quarantine — unless they’ve visited exposure sites — but must still get tested

4 Likes
2 Likes

QLD: No new locally acquired community cases found in last 24 hours. 1 case from overseas in quarantine.

14,100 tests.

3 Likes

Today’s VIC and NSW numbers