COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Look I don’t do it but there is a thought process behind it. Panic buying is something people can control and when they have a routine, accessibility etc people search for ways to control a situation and the psychological forces behind it.

The conversation wrote a good piece on it last year

It was ridiculous at the start of March 2020 and it’s ridiculous now.

Have to feel sorry for elderly or disabled people who actually need toilet paper but haven’t been able to buy any due to hoarders with shopping trolleys full of about 20 packets.

7 Likes

Supermarkets put bans on returns policy for all those items as these fools started trying to return it because they purchased years of supplies. Hopefully they still have this in place.

2 Likes

It was literally Sunday only. Every supermarket visit I’ve had since I’ve seen barely anyone inside, often more staff than customers. It seems a lot of people out there genuinely stocked up Sunday afternoon so they didn’t have go out for a week :roll_eyes:

The irony of it is everywhere I’ve gone since Monday I’ve seen all supermarkets fully stocked, in some cases (Costco) overstocked with lots of items reduced to clear.

It’s still in place. Very clear on every receipt they give out.

3 Likes

Visitors from the following Melbourne suburbs must go into immediate lockdown: Melbourne, West Melbourne, Noble Park, Keysborough, Springvale, Brighton, Brandon Park, Clayton South, Heatherton and Moorabbin.

Melburnians who had arrived from one of the hot spots since January 29 will also have to self-isolate until they receive a negative result.

Those who have come from one of the Melbourne hot spots will be offered a free stay at Howard Springs, or the opportunity to catch the next flight home.

1 community transmission in last 24 hours in Australia in Victoria.

Plus 8 in HQ - 3 NSW, 2 Vic, 2 WA and 1 in NT. O in Qld, SA, Tas and ACT.

Oh, I can understand for people who just wanted to just stock up on the essentials as if it was a regular shop. I’m referring to people who bought much more than they actually needed, leaving those such as the elderly or others with nothing left. I can understand some people just wanted to make sure they had enough, but buying much more than they usually would isn’t being very considerate for others.

My parents and I were going to head to the shops to grab two cartons of milk as we were running low once we heard Mark McGowan’s conference. Upon arriving near the carpark, it was absolutely hectic with the amount of cars parked, so we decided against it for the time being. I’m glad though people have eased since Sunday.

Tonight, the Premier is holding a conference at 8:30pm AWST in regards to post-Lockdown after 6pm on Friday.

3 Likes

The Oxford vaccine is fine (it also doesn’t need extreme cold, just normal pharmaceutical refrigeration), provided recipients get a half dose first followed by a full dose a few weeks later; hopefully the TGA will approve that (& have the required data to do so).

Sputnik V seems good, but I doubt it’ll come to Australia; we’ll largely get the Oxford vaccine because it’s being manufactured here.

The government’s latest Pfizer announcement appears to be more hot air; there are huge delays in many countries & what they announced is by the end of the year (and still only 5M people).

1 Like

Yeah, it’s probably critical that a country like Australia (known for getting hotter weather than the global average, etc.) has access to COVID-19 vaccines which don’t need extreme cold storage!

I agree that we’ll largely get the Oxford/AstraZennica vaccine, the Pfizer ones will largely be given to people in higher risk categories.

Those NT rules are really confusing.

So what is it? It says those from melbourne have to self isolate for 14 days, Melbournians can go home or have a free stay at Howard Springs and then it says they can get a negative test. So confusing.

Oh Gladys. You want NSW to go to the front of the vaccine queue. Really? You’re unbelievable.

Well what else do you expect? I bet every state premier wants to go to the front of the queue. As much as Gladys is a donkey, you can’t say AP or Dan or any of the other state premiers wouldn’t be thinking and saying the exact same thing.

5 Likes

Things sounding positive in Vic. Dan tweeted last night that 15 of 17 close contacts results had come back yesterday and were all negative. There have also been no new exposure sites listed in the past 24 hours.

Completely taken out of context. The comment was strictly regarding Hotel Quarantine workers vaccinations with NSW taking the most international travellers. There doesn’t need to be an uproar over wanting them to be a priority.

Regardless every state, like every country, are going to be wanting to distribute as much of the vaccine they can ASAP. There’s nothing wrong with that but doesn’t mean it will go that way either.

2 Likes

Looking good -

4 Likes

sounds like extortion to me. Is that even true anyway? last i heard, per capita hotel capacity was pretty similar across the states before NSW halved their capacity and Vic increased theirs.

quarantine is not a state responsibility, if Gladys chooses to do it, thats up to her. other states shouldn’t be rewarded or blackmailed into doing the same.

1 Like

Regarding returning Australians. I really do think we should be doing more. But its not just the states that need to be doing more. The Federal Government could be using Christmas Island as well, like they were doing this time last year.

1 Like

If this UK strain is more infectious how come no one in Perth has caught it in the lockdown?

Well we don’t know if people haven’t caught it. But I would say the person who had it wasn’t infectious for long enough to really spread the virus. The same will probably happen in Victoria.

3 Likes

VIC Premier Daniel Andrews said in his press conference earlier this morning, that there were 28,000 people tested yesterday with 14,612 tests received, a further 8,000 tests results were processed after the midnight cut off and a further 6,000 tests waiting in the labs for processing.

1 Like