COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

You can rapid test them in the airport when they arrive - itā€™s not like you have people driving over the WA - Vic border, thereā€™s literally one way into the state, and thereā€™s no chance they could enforce people entering Vic from WA via another state, so this only encourages people to circumvent the restriction.

This isnā€™t even a NSW situation where they had the flimsy excuse that somehow people had warning that it could be closed at short notice - thereā€™s no justification to have no method to allow Victorians home, other than illegally entering.

Iā€™m sure most people would rather have a test than be stranded in another state away from home indefinitely until they orange zone Perth.

4 Likes

yes, but didnā€™t the cho say the rapid tests arenā€™t as good or accurate as test that goes up your nose and down your throat???

They arenā€™t, but if the worry is people wonā€™t comply with testing later, itā€™s at least a test vs the tiny risk of none.

so then could the govt then have it: get home have rapid test, result, then RT-PCR test , isolate till result ???

Potentially - they could even have a full 14 days if they thought the risk warranted it - thereā€™s just plenty of viable ways to allow people to get home.

2 Likes

because in this case, I would have taken the NSW premiers stance on this

very very true. I have now changed my views by what has now been said on here. I am just wondering if out VIC govt is afraid of getting more backlash from the community if there are any cases that arise if they did get them home now. . they are appearing to protect the 0 days of community transmission at all costs and not wanting anything to break it

2 Likes

VICā€™s latest numbers -

Legislation will be introduced into State Parliament this week to allow the State of Emergency to be extended by a further 9 months in 4 week blocks.

Now watch the media go into melt down with the proposed extension and the public will fall for their scaremongering tactics.

While, restrictions will ease further on office workplaces with Public and Private sector office workplaces will be able to return to 75% capacity from Monday, 8th February 2021.

Is it both 75% or 50% public 75% private?

both

1 Like

Iā€™ve been so focussed on Perth I forgot we had our own numbers to come out :exploding_head:

Already started at news.com.au
https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/politics/coronavirus-victoria-dan-andrews-to-introduce-bill-to-extend-state-of-emergency/news-story/5cf8a0ebd534b915d2ad06be7b6026c8

3 Likes

Does not surprise me.

Do they not realise that itā€™s to enforce Hotel Quarantine, CHO directions and Public Health orders etc to control the pandemic?

Just seems whatever Victoria does itā€™s a massive outrage but when another state does exactly the same thing, nothing is said.

3 Likes

How dare you forget that NSW is the centre of the universe of Australian media, and that any cussing or talking them down is forbidden :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just for the record, I agree with what you say entirely.

I agree; itā€™s the same thing as Morrisonā€™s international arrival caps which have stranded ~40 000 Australians overseas.
Requiring people to quarantine if theyā€™ve been in a hotspot is perfectly reasonable, and if someone lives alone, then why not quarantine at home? (With an ankle bracelet to ensure they donā€™t leave and random police checks that there are no visitors.)

Permits are fine, provided they donā€™t reject people returning home.

Unfortunately weā€™ve already seen (last year) people try to circumvent restrictions by flying to a different city, such as Canberra, then flying in from there. (Remember people who flew Melbourne - Sydney - Brisbane and upon arrival falsely claimed they hadnā€™t been in Melbourne in the previous weeks?)
And thatā€™s before you replace that last hop with a drive in a car.

Trying to check every possible entry into a state is very difficult. It would be easier if there was a national strategy with real cooperation.

As usual many people suffer or are inconvenienced because of the selfish misbehaviour of a few (or the fear of what those few may do).

Not just Australian media. Every f**king thing.

2 Likes

This could get interesting, Hotel quarantine would be unviable without the state of emergency powers, If the state of emergency ends, victoriaā€™s international intake would need to be reduced to zero. So Dan Andrews has leverage over Scott Morrison considering Victoria is now doing all the heavy lifting. So Victorain Libs / Newscorp and ScoMo could end up played against each other.

Thatā€™s a big jump for the public sector then

this is from the ABCs coronavirus live blog author is Michael Doyle:

investigations underway as a woman test positive after leaving Victoria

Victoriaā€™s health authorities are currently investigating after a woman in her 60s tested positive to COVID-19 in the Philippines.

The woman tested positive on January 31, after arriving in the country from Victoria.

A statement from the CHOā€™s daily report says it is likely the result is a false positive.

"The woman is asymptomatic and, to date, test results from family and close contacts in Victoria have been negative. Further testing of the woman in the Philippines has been requested. "