COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Premier Gutwein has just announced that from midnight tonight all non-essential travellers to Tasmania will be put in quarantine at hotels under Police and Public Health officials care.

This will be the toughest state restrictions in the country again. Unfortunately, they’re still tracing the health worker at the hospital who was an emergency worker and how they caught it. There was also another confirmed case overnight.

1 Like

Just a caution on the daily counts from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/, their daily counts reset every day at 12AM GMT (about 11 AM EDST) which means their daily tallies will differ from what is released in this country. The cumulative totals for cases and deaths however are still identical.

1 Like

What do you mean by authorities? Because I witnessed a line at the airport on social media the other day and that was not something I would call social distancing. Also authorities that let people leave boats even though they have covid-19. And if you are talking about our national leader then please do not kid us.

If we were learning from overseas we would be doing what New Zealand are doing right now…

3 Likes

Credit cards, although with the limits in place I would suggest it’s moving towards people who didn’t panic / bulk buy actually running out of stuff. The rest of it is still giving the supermarkets time to replenish the sheer volume of lines / categories to a normal level - you can see in many departments things are already better, others not so much.

1 Like

The supermarkets seems to have died off from what we saw last week.

2 Likes

They definitely have. I went to a local shopping centre today and the place was a ghost town at 2pm on Saturday afternoon. 90% of the retail stores had closed too. I guess it’s prob just not worth their effort opening up. The food court was a ghost town too and only about 1/3 of the places were open. I then did a Coles shop and I could get almost everything I needed. All the hoarders must be done and people are staying at home as much as they can. Everywhere seems quiet today .

2 Likes

DJs confirming they will open for all large format stores.

1 Like

Big mistake of david jones to do that, irrrespomsible . When a stage three shutdown occurs no one will ge going in. Just goes go show they only care about money, not peoples lives. :confounded:

I’m sure they’re not making much money by being open

7 Likes

Telstra now advising us to #StayHome

4 Likes

I bet they also have leases that require their stores to be open as well

When a stage 3 shutdown happens I’m sure David Jones will shutdown too.

2 Likes

The new Queensland border checkpoints be like…

7 Likes

Agree. It’s greedy but it’s South African owned so I doubt they give two hoots about its staff and the local market.

Full credit to John King at Myer for initiating the first big box retailer move. I certainly have a new respect for Myer, and this is the sort of stuff people remember about a brand. Once in a lifetime event, which big companies took the lead? Myer did, Cotton on.

Wow and Wes are also just as greedy if they don’t do nothing with their respective fashion/big box dept stores. People have had enough time in the last week plus to raid the local Kmart of Bigw. They can do without it for 4 week.

I think K,T, BW are more concerned about its Easter bottom line. 4 weeks at this time of year 300-400m lost revenue. Easter stock probably tens of millions writeoff.

I think it would be more rewarding for them to close for 4 weeks, donate all its Easter stock to those in financial trouble in the.community. PR would be huge.

3 Likes

After Saturday’s figures are in, here’s the updated Guesstimates for the cumulative numbers on 7 April.

NATIONWIDE: 8235-15940

NSW: 3737-4837 (Current: 1617)
QLD: 1325-2425 (625)
VIC: 1795-2895 (685)
ACT: 161-1261 (71)
NT: 20-25 (14)
SA: 587-1687 (287)
WA: 508-1608 (278)
TAS: 102-1202 (62)

If the figures continue to increase at the average rate of increase over the last 9 days per state, then the guesstimate totals would be

NATIONWIDE: 10956

NSW: 5304
VIC: 2017
QLD: 1469
SA: 798
WA: 804
TAS: 301
ACT: 238
NT: 25 (assumed number)

It sounds like I’m having a lot each way as opposed to a bit, but at least the projected figures are getting somewhat clearer despite the likelihood of alteration sooner rather than later.

On a side note the world update site now has the date of the first reported case added to the tally. Worryingly the bulk of the nations that have had more cumulative cases started reporting theirs AFTER Australia did on January 24. Italy for example had their first case 5 days later, we all know what happened next. Not sure if it means a hell of a lot, but more worrying to me that those who started reporting cases after we did are seemingly faring a lot worse.

1 Like

National Cabinet meet tomorrow night 630pm. Stage 3 discussions apparently.

I think the residents of a Victoria have essentially sealed their fate tomorrow. Seems to be an issue of those aged 18-35. I reckon we have until Tuesday before the city is locked down.

They need to flood the streets with all sorts of forces, and armed. Get rough with them, I don’t care.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/fears-intensive-care-bed-boost-may-not-be-enough/news-story/77fcd79e899cb58c5896cb04083cbb8e

3 Likes

Yep why they think its a good idea to go the beach is beyond me. Should have been a total lockdown much earlier than this though.

4 Likes

dont forget not everyone lives in melbourne. so if melbourne gets lockedown what about the rest of victoria??? why should inn regional vic get punished for what happens in melbourne??

3 Likes

I am assuming it will be a Victorian lockdown. I know a few people that work for the government and they have been quite slow about getting people to work from home. But on Friday they went into overdrive. They clearly have been tipped off. Over 100 people were set up to work from home from 2pm-midnight on Friday.

1 Like

It’s not punishment. It’s prevention.

5 Likes