COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

The CHO of QLD has said that the state is following the protocols agreed at the national cabinet. It is the Federal CHO who declares the hot spots - as happened for Northern Beaches - and the Queensland responds to that. AFAIK the Victorian situation has not been classified a Federal Hotspot because it doesn’t match the requirements agreed. Note that Sydney matched the definition.

3 Likes

Victoria.

If they hadn’t made it in to the state then you’re not welcome home without exemption and hotel quarantine which is a bloody ridiculous reaction.
EDIT: If coming from NSW.

Ok so I guess two more days of 10 for Victoria and it’s borders closed.

But they can come home and do hotel quarantine? I think they gave enough notice.

2 Likes

Yeah, so they’re allowed to return home after their quarantine period. We were warned not to go, consequences seemed pretty obvious should they close the border. Could have been handled better, but what’s dome is done to protect the majority. Uncertain times require unpopular decisions to be made.

5 Likes

This is the QLD position re borders.

https://twitter.com/qldhealthnews/status/1345236278355193857?s=20

Plus one child in Hospital Q - all QLD +ve cases go to quarantine in hospital.

One new case is being reported in Queensland today, a returning overseas traveller detected while in hospital quarantine.

Dr Young said the male aged between 0 and 9 years old had recently travelled from Pakistan.

1 Like

No - they can’t. It’s a hard border closure even to their own residents. :man_facepalming:t2:

Hopefully it gets challenged and found to violate human rights, like when the Andrews Government locked down the housing commission towers, which was later found to violate human rights.

Not that Andrews Government seems to take responsibility for anything, even when they get it wrong.

Look I am not expert hence the question mark at the end. It was me responding to someones post saying people aren’t welcome without an exemption and hotel quarantine. Which is why I questioned it.

If it is what it is surely this will be challenged. I am really not a fan of the border closures and there needs to be a consistent national approach.

Edit: I have just looked and according to the ABC they can do hotel quarantine if returning from NSW to Victoria

After 1 Jan, that’s not correct. Hotel quarantine is not an option for Vic residents returning from NSW, only if they’re returning from overseas. See here: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Victoria - Better Health Channel

1 Like

No they are not welcome back period, not even to hotel quarantine it is utter bullshit.

And using the excuse “we were warned” is an equal amount of bullshit, Dan Andrew’s himself said do not travel to Sydney the rest of NSW remains Green.

You know when QLD haven’t changed border rules you’re on the wrong side of this. VIC have 100% gone too far, it in my opinion speaks volumes about their confidence in controlling an outbreak.

4 Likes

I for one am in favour of the hard border closure.

Cant please everyone I guess.

2 Likes

That isn’t good then. That just goes against all kinds of laws. Hopefully that is fixed up soon. I can understand the border closure, not that I agree with it, the cases are linked. But there must be an option for people to return home at least through hotel quarantine

2 Likes

At this point it’s just safer to stay in your own state unless you’re moving. I find it weird that in Sydney we’re too much of a risk to go anywhere else, but pretty much everything is open in the state, except for massive home gatherings.

4 Likes

Don’t you realise that people could be infected? Quarantine would have to be involved at some point.

This sums up my point.

But we were warned? Health authorities would have said several times to refrain from travelling because things could have changed, but some chose not to heed that advice.

Because they couldn’t have changed it to orange or red if they wanted to, that was purely on facts and the outbreak spread too fast to change that on time.

This is a plausible statement.

2 Likes

You’ve got to feel for the VIC/NSW border towns though. Business would’ve and will be losing a lot of income over how ever long the border closure is. Along with those few months when NSW close the border to Victoria.

I just find it shit that if you have a holiday property across the border and you can’t even go and visit. Like myself, I have a cabin in Moama on the Murray River and of course that’s in NSW. Literally five minutes across the border from Echuca. You can literally swim back and forth.

Surely an exemption of some sort can be arranged by the Victorian Government for those who prove that they have a property across the border but live somewhere else in Victoria. Similar to a border pass for those who live on a border town.

5 Likes

hmmm…

Might get interesting with the amount of Vic residents currently on holiday in QLD if they put the walls up, considering how many are probably on holiday in the state.

4 Likes

Hope Qantas can use some of their grounded Sydney planes.

1 Like

I can’t recall previously but if QLD do close the border to Metro Melb on Monday if the numbers stay above 10, I don’t think there would be any issue for those say returning to Victoria under any form of strict deadline? More just nobody going in.

But yes as above, I will just cancel my upcoming trip next month and not even bother. Just another year in Vic this year, save plenty of cash I guess.