COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

yes it will and stop being pesmistic

I don’t think he is. The SA outbreak came from hotel quarantine and WA quickly closed the borders. If any other cases are found from this one I wouldn’t be surprised if they close those borders again.

Edit: sorry I was talking about NSWs not Victoria.

1 Like

In regards to the quarantine hotel worker who tested positive, NSW Health tweeted:

Brad Hazzard said this morning that the infected worker travelled from Minto in south west Sydney to Central Station while “potentially infectious” and would then travel on the light rail from Central Station to Darling Harbour. He had asked people who had travelled on those routes to get tested and self isolate until they get the results.

Also:

Mate, I’m not being pessimistic. Telling it how it is;

Mr McGowan also indicated that an outbreak in either Victoria or New South Wales could halt the reopening in the other jurisdiction too.

Advice from WA’s Chief Health Officer Andy Robertson released on Tuesday stated the relaxing of rules was “subject to no further community outbreaks” in either state.

The Premier is set to address the media later this morning.

1 Like

A spokesman from WA Premier Mark Mr McGowan’s office said WA Chief Health Officer Andy Robertson was in discussions with his NSW counterparts to get a better understanding of the risks associated with the new case.
WA’s Chief Health Officer will seek further information from NSW before providing advice to the Premier," he said.
Earlier in the week, during his border policy change announcement, Mr McGowan was asked what would happen if a new case was detected in New South Wales before the reopening date.
He responded it “may well” lead to the hard border continuing.

“We’ll wait and see, it depends where it is, who it is and how widespread it is,” he said.

Fingers crossed the border doesn’t close. I just don’t trust WA in this. Proof is in the pudding.

1 Like

Why am I not surprised around this area…there are idiots living here.

1 Like

I personally find the WA government to be rather hypocritical here. How is it that when we had the first cases from the outbreak that they immediately closed the border to SA whilst they wait for NSW and their information? Should be one approach for both, not completely different approaches for different states.

Sorry if it comes off as a pessimistic post but I’m just sick of the border games the states are playing at the moment. I (like many others I’m sure) just want to be able to go to other states without having to worry about this and that, yet we have WA having this weird stance of slamming borders shut when one or two new cases pop up in the community.

2 Likes

Not comparable - the border was open to SA when their outbreak happened, it’s closed to NSW right now so they can wait for info.

3 Likes

Not only do I think it’s now unlikely that WA will be re-open to NSW as scheduled at the end of this week, but given how tough Anastasia Palaszczuk has been I reckon it’s also only a matter of time before the Queensland border is again closed to NSW…or at the very least, Sydneysiders.

I don’t think QLD will close. They can’t afford to. Look at the holidays and accommodation already booked since last weeks announcement. That’s potentially millions of dollars gone if they close it again.

1 Like

Hopefully, but they did close to SA. The issue with SA though was they didn’t know how long it was spreading. They do know how long this one has been in the community for which is a positive for NSW.

forcing them to hotel quarantine might be a stretch but i cant see any problem expecting them to live in an AFL-style hub that separates them from society, they would be compensated with living away from home loading and some expenses covered, no expenses of that type should be spared. I cannot see why people view this as something so unreasonable, similar arrangements are fairly common in so many other circumstances.

mining workers, oil rig workers, freight workers, AFL players all lived away from their families for long periods. Office workers for a muti-national can be asked to do a secondment overseas for months, we deploy forces to the middle east in never ending wars. But the idea of hotel staff doing the same - one of the most important jobs in the country - is an issue??

I think Anastasia Palaszczuk has said going forward they’d do bans on postcodes if it’s a hotspot and not an entire metropolitan area or state.

They just need to eliminate the risk as much as possible by testing the staff daily, proper training / education, better pay and reduce their moment to one job per hotel. They shouldn’t be doing split shift at varies hotels, or having a secondary job as an Uber driver.

I just wonder if it’s time to look at Christmas Island and Whyalla. They are remote places and would definitely be less risky. With a vaccine coming in March we shouldn’t have very long to worry about this risk.

2 Likes

Also, Defence Force personnel who will be stationed at quarantine hotels in Melbourne from next week, will also have live away from their families for a long period.

These guys aren’t being paid 100-200k + a year as cleaners…

1 Like

I think that is the key. These front line workers aren’t being paid enough for such measures to be introduced. If they were keen to pay for those sorts of measures then fair enough.

all those settings I have mentioned have cleaners, kitchen hands and security that would work under the same employment conditions I am suggesting, and they all manage.

As i said, there would be appropriate working away from home loading and certain compensations. and when they are initially employed they would be made aware of what they were signing up for.

So many other industries can make it work, so can hotel quarantine.