COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

It doesn’t need to confirmed - auctions and open houses are banned.

Morrison was again lacking tonight. He should have announced something about immediate compensation for the Australian people. Instead he insisted the cumbersome Centrelink system was a necessary process. He showed very little sympathy and his arrogance and sniping was there particularly when Tony Abbott’s name was mentioned. I could see the bitterness in his eyes and face. It was a very childish response.

5 Likes

So it’s just online auctions from Thursday.

CMO hasn’t done much to help matters. Honestly would trust my doctor/ other doctors and scientist and then any nonsense that’s being mixed delivery for this.

1 Like

Look I dont think it’s necessary and if I was you I wouldn’t be going. Especially if you have been outside and in contact with other people. Unfortunately we are just all going to have to make sacrifices at the moment.

1 Like

This can be looked at in 2 ways, & I know the way most are going to look at this, but Australia is not somewhere in the rest of the world, we have different situations with both our populations, our space & being an island, separated from everyone else.

There’s so much hysterics going on out there it’s truely ridiculous, & you all can slam me I don’t care, I think ScoMo is doing a good job, some of the state premiers have dropped the ball a few times & some Australians can’t be trusted to do the right thing (though most of that Bondi Beach thing were apparently backpackers from OS).

Have things in Australia been taken too far, at the moment I think yes, perform basic general hygiene & stay 1.5 meters away from someone else & most people will be right.

Going on stmookeyj027’s guestimated figures, the national figure of 23357 cases is around 0.09% of the Australian population who will get Coronavirus.

The way things are trending in Australia is currently that 1% of the current cases are considered serious or critical needing hospitalisation with I think is around 11 cases?, the rest of the cases are only considered mild, & if people isolate they will recover in a few weeks & continue on with life as normal & we’ve only had 8 deaths.

If this trend continues as figures above, worst case suggest they will (even though they aren’t official figures & probably done without any medical knowledge?), about 1% of 0.09% of the Australian population will have serious effects from this virus, but yet we are locking people away, making millions of people unemployed, closing businesses that may never reopen or never recover, & creating so much stress about money & being able to pay for food, & accomodation with probably many people also becoming homeless.

ScoMo & the state leaders are fighting 2 wars here, the virus & the economic, & ScoMo tried to be subtle & not come out & alarm everyone in his media conference last night, but he’s 100% right, more people in Australia at the end of this will be dead from suicide over the economic side, than will die from the virus, & the suicide figure will probably be in multiples not just a few, times over the virus death figures.

With the now millions of Australians out of work, every single one of you in here is more likely to know someone who dies from suicide over this, than dies from the virus itself.

People have to start thinking sensibly & rationally not blindly following what’s happening in other countries & what they’re doing or not doing or let you political leanings get in the way of saying the governments doing a bad job & should be doing this or that, don’t forget the National Cabinet is made up of 5 Labor & 4 Liberal leaders, so it’s pretty even politically, it’s not leaning Left Wing or Right Wing ideals & thoughts, & they’re doing the best they can under the circumstances only guessing what might happen next.

I’m lucky being in the media, even if everyone is locked down at home, I’m able to travel wherever & when ever I’m needed to keep the radio & TV on air, so I’ll continue my job, but other in my family have lost theirs & are unable to get any help from Centrelink as they are casual & haven’t been put off, they just aren’t getting any shifts while their workplace is closed.

Yes, none of us have had to live through anything like this & it might be another 100 years before anyone goes through similar, but it will happen again & it has happened in the past with 2 world wars & the Great Depression of the 1930’s, the earth kept spinning & most survived & things will be different but will return to what we call normal in 6 - 18 months time, so everyone ease up on the panic a bit.

5 Likes

Yeah he is doing a great job. Telling all Australians that he was still going to the rugby and two weeks later saying only 5 people can attend a wedding. The news was out there months ago and he reacted too slowly! Now he is blaming the public for not following medical advise - something he did two weeks ago!!! He is the worst PM ever in Australia and he could not have done a worse job.

6 Likes

That’s fine you have that opinion, but with that you seem to be one of the hysterical ones, considering the first case of corona virus in Australia was at the end of January 2020 pretty much 2 months ago today, so you’re saying you would have shut down Australia 2 months ago with less than 10 cases in this country because of what may or may not have been happening in China, to which we still don’t know how much of the truth about this has come out of China?

Trust me I am not one of the hysterical ones. I too wasn’t taking this seriously - probably because our PM wasn’t. He laughed and said he was still going to the rugby 2 weeks ago. Now he is scolding people for having parties. He just can’t expect people to take this seriously when he didn’t take it seriously. That is the issue. Don’t sit here and say he is doing a good job when he failed to listen to the medical advise.

No I didn’t say they should have shutdown 2 months ago. But not letting people off of cruises could have been a start. Banning all travel a month ago when they knew the numbers in China. They talk about having more time and saying Italy would have wished to have more time but they are working just as slowly as they did.

5 Likes
1 Like

Virgin Australia has announced that 8,000 staff would be stood down and will cut 90% of domestic flights. TigerAir will temporarily cease operations too

1 Like

Jetstar has followed suit.

2 Likes

Dan Andrews sounds like he will crack down on a Stage 3 shortly. I imagine by Sunday. Stupid behaviour in the next day and it will be within 48hrs.

I assume Stage 3 is like NZ. Shopping Centres/Public Transport.

2 Likes

I think Dan Andrews has been super clear - unlike our national leader.

7 Likes

He won’t know any stupid behaviour by the public if it is not reported by the media or goes viral on the internet.
I hope Victoria doesn’t go into stage 3 because not everyone has a car and some people still need public transport to go to and from work.

Public Transport could be capped at a cap per bus or carriage.

Shopping centres days are numbered I think.

The issue I have is places like Kmart and Bigw, more so on impending school holidays, have a larger visit rate of families and typically a higher percentage of the illiterate and uneducated who don’t follow rules. Every time I go to Kmart it’s full of dirty scraggy people. These places are dirty shops.

Bunnings could be an exception, if they want to keep the trade industry going, but I guess risk is from competitors claiming picking favourites.

2 Likes

Johnson just casually calling for reporting of dangerous activities to be suspended…

A national state of emergency will be declared in New Zealand.

I didn’t mean that. No one got infected with coronavirus after going to a house inspection or a beauty salon (so far).
Nevertheless, I hope people will have some self-discipline so we won’t have to go into stage 3.

School IT guy here. Still pissed that schools aren’t closing down. We’ve literally set up a solution to allow for online school, I wish they would just transition to flexible online learning!

2 Likes

Firstly, I think you mean “no one was infected at a beauty salon or house inspection 14 days ago.”

The virus takes time to incubate.

Secondly, how do you know that for sure? There’s over 2000 cases now - have you asked health authorities to rule those locations out?

I’m sorry Johnson, but you’re not a medical expert on virus transmission. You’re a commentator on a forum. You’re not qualified to make judgements on what should stay open and what should close - leave that to the experts.

2 Likes