COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

The walls are closing in on the AFL, they should start pumping out games every day while they still can.

270 new cases in Victoria for the past 24 hours.

• 28 linked to known outbreaks
  • 242 under investigation

The state now has 1803 active cases. 21,995 tests were completed yesterday. 85 are in hospital with 27 in ICU.

2 Likes

Hopefully we start to see some of the benefits of lockdown from tomorrow. Not as many tests done yesterday. Don’t get me wrong 20,000 tests a day is huge. But the ratio is becoming less than 1:1000.

If cases continue to increase in Sydney, the NSW Government will have to ban people from attending this weekend’s AFL, NRL and A-League matches in the city.

1 Like

I think that is the last of the AFL’s worries. According to Footy Classified the AFL has 3 facilities in the Gold Coast on a rolling contract. I think all clubs will be out of NSW by the end of the Round 8 (probably 2 more in WA) and the rest in QLD.

Did the border move overnight?

4 Likes

The numbers aren’t surprising in the sense the CHO said that we probably hadn’t hit the peak yesterday, however man I was hopeful :neutral_face: Let’s hope tomorrow and the coming days is better.

3 Likes

People don’t even know who their own Premier is but are happy to spew vile as directed by Murdoch media.

1 Like

Yeah hopefully by around Thursday we could see some benefits in the numbers from lockdowns (that’s 2 week for localised and a 7-8 days for the wider state). At least it’s stabilised in that it’s usually between 170-270 each day and it hasn’t been growing beyond that. Let’s hope it doesn’t.

3 Likes

Wow - really professional!

2 Likes

What did you think Victoria were using the ADF for?

1 Like

They’ve since updated that status calling it Ruby Princess 2.0

Uneducated people 🤦

3 Likes

Doubling down on the idiocy. Must be a hell of a place to drink in Wagga.

2 Likes

I was surprised to learn today that it was not compulsory for pubs, clubs, cafes, restaurants etc in NSW to get the contact details of patrons until when Gladys announced the new restrictions this morning.

Here in Victoria that has been the case since pubs, clubs, cafes, restaurants etc were allowed to reopen to seated guests.

2 Likes

It was intitially, when they had the 10 and 20 group restrictions. But I don’t know how strictly it was enforced. I went to a pub, which made me sign in, and on the same night a restaurant, which had more patrons and we weren’t asked to sign in there. with a group of 10.

2 Likes

No establishment I have been in is strictly enforcing the rules, including a cafe I had lunch at today.

3 Likes

I had to leave my details ordering at Baskin Robbins (in Sydney).

It seems to be a 50/50 thing for me. Some have asked for details some haven’t. It is all quite concerning. However, it shouldn’t be necessary if that tracing app they launched actually worked.

4 Likes

There are rumors spreading on building sites that Melbourne Metro could be going into a Stage 4 lockdown as of next week.

I would say this will be likely if numbers don’t show signs of decreasing.

1 Like

The media seems to be very harsh on the government with the covidsafe app. interviewing a lot of smug tech people to pick it apart and repeating that it has only found one close contact.

my understanding was that the app was supposed to function when we go to a point where there was so much spread that it overwhelmed the human being-run contact tracing system, which hasn’t happened yet.

Even if it does turn out to be useless, what have we lost in trying to make it work? a few million to develop it and the 5 seconds it took to download? seems like one of the most low risk, high rewards potential measures made during the pandemic so far.