COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Also a Victorian man in his 90s has died from COVID-19.

1 Like

Is this a serious question given what’s going on?

The Melbourne press in that room at this press conference is really embarrassing. The questions and statements they are making!

2 Likes

I’m not sure if one should be massively concerned about this when there are much more pressing issues such as a massive outbreak that is showing no signs of stopping at the moment.

1 Like

Agree. Who cares about the logistics of the border closure or who spoke to who first. It’s not important.

Brett Sutton says that most cases are still concentrated in the north-west, however some cases are spilling into suburbs surrounding those in lockdown. The most concerning are the 54 in the community housing, which they are expecting this to spike massively in the coming days (as they’ve only tested 400 / 3000 so far).

There seems to be a delay in testing results over the weekend so it wouldn’t surprise me if the lower number yesterday is because of that and more came through to today. I’m not sure if they are prioritising certain tests or areas but a friend got tested on Friday night and still didn’t have a result by Sunday night. Yet another friend tested 1 week earlier and got his result in 16 hours.

Edit: Dan just confirmed that tests for those in community housing are being prioritised, so might explain why some others are taking longer.

4 Likes

I completely understand the reasons for closing the border. This was an agreement between NSWs, Victoria and the Federal Government. Having our two biggest robust economy centers (Sydney and Melbourne) now separated from one another is a massive blow to everyone in Australia as whole.

As a Victorian, I fully thank every Australian out there supporting Victoria in getting through this. I do think Melbourne (and Victoria) will need to revert to a Stage 3 or even 4 lock-down before it can join the rest of the country.

There are a handful of places in Victoria where the only access is via NSW. I’m sure they will cope with the closure … if their border crossing is closed.

The tourism sector will take a hit for sure, but cargo flights and trains between Sydney and Melbourne will still be allowed to run, and the air corridor between Victoria and ACT remains open (although for how much longer remains to be seen).

Also regarding the 3000 residents stuck in housing estates in North Melbourne and Flemington:
https://twitter.com/jodilee_7/status/1279948783829147649

The tourism sector is the last of their problems. Its our Finance/ Business / Banking sectors that will take the biggest hit. We now have 7 million Australians separated from the rest of the country.

I guess the permit system will be similar to those for residents on NSW/QLD border towns like Coolangatta/Tweed Heads and Goondiwindi.
1 Like

Gladys should be ashamed, it was only a few weeks ago she was demanding QLD and WA to open state borders immediately.

Only 16 of those cases were from the locked down public housing towers.

7 Likes

She basically just said that again - now that they are shutting the Vic border down, she wants the rest of the country to open up.

1 Like

Yep, no doubt that Gladys is closing the NSW/Victorian border because the fear that other states won’t open up (although I personally think the others should remain closed until an appropriate time) if Victorians can still enter NSW.

Of course it just about goes without saying that I don’t hold a particularly high opinion of her as premier.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 12.08.32 pm

Please delete if I’m not allowed to post this, but this is exactly how I feel in Melbourne at the moment!

7 Likes

I was just going to post, ive been trying to be upbeat and positive through all this, now I’m starting to lose my will to remain positive. What a mess.

5 Likes

She’s doubled down on this one too

Things will improve - hopefully, the last few days is a stark reminder to those who think that this is all over or that it won’t impact them that they couldn’t be further from the truth.

4 Likes

Seriously though how many cases have we seen jump the Vic/NSW border to warrant the closure?

I’d say keep the border open to those Victorian’s who do not live in the hotspot postcodes and fine those who disobey the rules. Have police at each border entry checking vehicles as they enter if they do not have sticker placed on their car.

The public who continue to do the wrong thing need to start taking responsibility for their actions and stop blaming others for their own faults.

This is going to cause a massive disruption here in Albury (and Wodonga), there are many services that are only on one side of the border e.g. maternity ward is only in Wodonga and Centrelink is only in Albury.
I’m going to need a permit to get to work now so my commute on Wednesday morning will be very interesting.
Very much the right call though with the situation deteriorating at such a rapid pace.

3 Likes

Interestingly the Premier and Police Commissioner both said that they’ve been working on plans for this to occur for some time now

1 Like