COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Victoria’s latest overnight figures.

1 Like

What is the difference between ‘routine testing’ and ‘being investigated’? (Apologies if this question has already been asked). I gather routine testing is when someone goes to Bunnings or wherever and gets tested, but wouldn’t this also mean the source is being investigated?

I assume investigated is someone with a known link to an infected person who has been contacted and quickly tested.

2 Likes

being investigated is usually where the contact tracing is still underway (or may not have been able to start)

5 Likes

For tweeps asking about terminology: routine testing = person tested at a screening clinic, unrelated to any known outbreak. Community transmission = after investigation, no known source of the virus has been able to be identified. @VicGovDHHS

1 Like

The performance of the economy has to be secondary to fighting the virus - what we’ve seen so far from both state and federal governments are moves to ensure it doesn’t crash instantaneously - in some respects its delaying the inevitable and the longer this goes on, the bigger that crash will be. We’re asking a lot for businesses to subsist primarily on government assistance and goodwill

The reality is that from here on in businesses will perish - it may be directly because of the limitations brought about by the coronavirus, they may have been in peril before March and this has pushed them over the edge, but also as things return to whatever normal will be there will be businesses that will find that people for a range of reasons don’t need/want to interact with anymore.

I suspect that as soon as the eviction moratoriums are lifted, courts and tribunals will be overrun with applications from landlords, anecdotal evidence suggests that many landlords are either ready or will be very soon. Banks and financial institutions wont be far behind either I’d imagine - although they may be asked to take longer pain by the Government.

There is some serious work being done by Governments to work out how to spend our way out of recession through a range of measures (especially infrastructure spending) - some of the figures I’ve heard are potentially game-changing for communities, to the point that how to deliver will be a greater issue

3 Likes

Going by what the CMO said today the cases are still mostly concentrated in the locked down areas. We also should continue to expect high numbers in the coming days as this targetted testing is underway in the housing commissions.

1 Like

14 new cases in NSW, all in hotel quarantine.

1 Like

The two-item limit for frozen meals is new. There was no limit for them last time round.

It is definitely the case in Victoria at least as my partner and I have both been working from home since March and we get 8 of these (4 each) in our weekly shop for lunches. Yesterday was the first time they’d been denied. Thankfully if you go online direct to the suppliers sites you can order some of the same brands with no limits for next day delivery.

I found a lot of the limits were down to the discretion of the checkout operator

I think the strategy of elimination rather than simply suppression is being vindicated by the Victorian situation.

It only takes a bit of complacency in the community before we need to shut the economy down again, and often these decisions are made too late.

I think the constant cycle of worry and despair with the ‘accelerator/brake’ analogy that was being used earlier in the year is unacceptable.

3 Likes

I do wonder that even though we’ve gone a suppression strategy that because certain states seem to have eliminated the virus (because they had minimal cases to begin with) that we are going to have these border closures for a fair while longer. Elimination is going to be hard in the bigger states especially when we have communities that havn’t been (or don’t want to get) tested. I also wonder if Sydney has any communities like Melbourne, where the virus is present but they are just not getting tested so it hasnt been detected. Let’s really hope not.

These localised outbreaks and lockdowns just seem a way of life going forward. Spain currently has a similar situation to Victoria where they’ve come out of strict lockdowns, cautiously opened and had to lockdown a hotspot. Countries like the UK are also jumping straight into opening travel to certain countries, including Spain, which probably isn’t a smart move.

2 Likes

Spreading the infection has nothing to do with those people refusing testing. The quarantine breaches are the root of the problem in Melbourne.

3 Likes

The Victorian-NSW border set to be closed imminently following “crisis talks” between Daniel Andrews, Gladys Berejiklian and the PM.

Edit: From ABC

New South Wales-Victoria border to be closed

The ABC understands the Victorian-NSW border will be closed from Tuesday night following talks between Premiers Daniel Andrews, Gladys Berejiklian and the Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

I expect we’ll get confirmation at the press conference coming up at 10:45am AEST.

1 Like

Thank the lord!

The border closure means there will no passenger flights and XPT trains between Melbourne and Sydney from tomorrow, but trucks will be allowed to cross after passing checkpoints.
How will it work given most of the NSW/Victoria border is along the Murray River? You can’t prevent people from swimming or rowing across the Murray.
The border closure will affect Mildura, Echuca-Moama, Yarrawonga and Albury-Wodonga especially.

I guess you can when/if there is a state lockdown again.

1 Like

127 new cases in Victoria overnight

• 34 - known outbreaks
• 40 - routine testing
• 53 - under investigation

1 Like

Thats bad, i’m guessing a lot of the public housing tests are coming back today, is that considered a known outbreak or community transmission?