COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

I can see trouble occuring if people are locked in and are told they canā€™t leave for any reason.

And I noticed this comment on Twitter:

I was staring at those towers the other day and was thinking how bad it would be if covid hit them. The people are packed in and sharing facilities. kind of like a cruise ship on land.

It will be interesting to what happens with panic buying. Havenā€™t leaders been telling us for moths not to panic buy because they would never do a lockdown like what is happening in fleminton?

Has anyone made the connection that the lockdown suburbs are tracing the Craigieburn train line? The research from New York was that the subway was the biggest spreader. Surely we need to make mask wearing mandatory on at least that line.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s his problem? His suburb isnā€™t in lockdown, he is allowed to go leave his home.

There will be genuine anger amongst the community in the Flemington and North Melbourne towers who wonā€™t be happy with police on each floor. Quite a history of violence between some of those residents and police, although there has been an improvement in recent years.

1 Like

First Iā€™ve heard of hard lockdowns of public housing to this level outside of authoritarian countries like China and Singapore (someone please correct me if Iā€™m wrong).

I see the justification for it, but canā€™t deny that itā€™s a bit scary that a state government has this power, and I think if Victoria is heading towards escalating these kinds of actions further that the Andrews government is at real risk of losing public support.

Just chuck the whole state into full lockdown. Easy.

1 Like

The cases (as far as I know) are still concentrated in the north west.

As far as the community housing goes, if COVID spreads through those in Flemington then there will likely be a very high hospitalisation / death rate. My friend does Soupvan to those places and says the health of the people there is already very low, with lots of drug use etc.

Everywhere Iā€™ve been the past 2 weeks panic buying is non-existent. Iā€™ve been to Coles, Woolies and IGA and all are full of toilet paper. At my local Woolworths today I was told that I had too many ā€œfrozen mealsā€ and could only have twoā€¦ When the fridges were fully stocked. I buy these for my lunches during the week and now I need to do multiple trips just to get them which is annoying. I donā€™t think frozen meals were ever limited last time and I have never seen them low in stock.

4 Likes

I thought Singaporeā€™s was accommodation for foreign nationals (which wasnt in the best of conditions to start with)

Kieran Gilbert is reporting that sources tell him that the Victorian Government could lockdown the entire Melbourne Metropolitan area as early as tomorrow.

5 Likes

Why the entire Melbourne metro area? Cases in eastern and southern parts of the city are very low. If we have to go back to stage 3 lockdown, the Victorian Government may well as reduce public transport services, and pause all level crossing removal and other major roadworks, until cases begin to ease again.

4 Likes

There is likely to be a point where its no longer practical to shut only parts of the city down - it also removes some of the conjecture around how the rules apply.

The important thing to note here is that these decisions arent made lightly - the Government are well aware of the impacts of locking down again

9 Likes

Because no matter what they say or do, if people still donā€™t do the right thing, they donā€™t have a choice. They have to suppress this virus. Iā€™m all for it if thatā€™s gonna do that.

6 Likes

Because there were people suggesting people from the locked down areas just take public transport to evade the lock down rules.

7 Likes

There is not that many major roads out of Metro Melbourne to regional areas.

Geelong is easy to cut off with only one road in. Thatā€™s obviously the first place considering population you want to cut off. Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo and itā€™s associated local regional areas can all survive without Metro Melbourne.

I would be more worried about potential riots etc coming from a metro lockdown. People are going to start to lose it.

2 Likes

These people need to get over themselves.

No one else is acting like this. Why do these Melbourians think theyā€™re above everyone else?

This is a matter that affects the whole country. Grow up and go into lockdown.

5 Likes

When the apocalypse arrives, I will be on the first flight out of Victoria.

3 Likes

I stand by going into lockdown if it helps stop cases, but Iā€™m worried about how the economy would cope. Sadly, the only way we can stop COVID is to develop a vaccine.

1 Like

I think it already has. :stuck_out_tongue::yawning_face:

I wonder what the Coalition or the Greens will do if they are in government.

Probably exactly the same as the current government :roll_eyes:

1 Like

No Government has been in a pandemic for a hundred years. The Vic Government canā€™t plan for 1, 2 or even 3 months ahead in this current climate. Itā€™s a day by day during this pandemic. No one knows what is going to happen next. No one has a crystal ball that they can look into.

For those who are complaining that the Andrews Government should have done a better job, Iā€™d like to see what you can do while youā€™re under pressure in a pandemic. The Government is doing the best they can do. If the public ended up doing the right thing we wouldnā€™t be in the mess that weā€™re in now. Everyone needs to stop their complaining!

This second wave or what it is could have happened anywhere else in the country and it probably could still happen.

6 Likes