COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

2 Likes
2 Likes

I was due to have a dental checkup today, but it was cancelled yesterday after the dentist told me he wasn’t sure if his practice would be continuing after today.

5 Likes

Dentist friend of mine similarly has effectively lost his job, as his practice is winding down.

Almost 150 cases in NSW alone overnight.

2 Likes

I had my scheduled dental check up two weeks ago and the next one isn’t due until September, by the time coronavirus outbreak should ease (I hope).

4 Likes

https://www.sunraysiadaily.com.au/news/1098449/sunraysia-daily-to-suspend-printing-stand-down-staff

I wonder if Nine and News could suspend printing or reduce the amount of newspapers being printed as sales have undoubtedly fallen and will continue to fall

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be buying a print newspaper at the supermarket or newsagent atm, because you wouldn’t know who touched it last.

1 Like

That’s really over the top. You could say that about everything you might be buying at the supermarket, butcher or grocery shop too.

Do you plan on not touching any food or drinks for the next 6 months, 12 months or how ever long?

6 Likes

RUSH - seems like a really good time to start a new FTA multichannel (NOT) :smile: Perhaps Nine should put this on hold for the moment.

5 Likes

QLD Premiere is explaining the “border closure”. Stay in your state - stay in your suburb. “We do not want people coming to Queensland to have a holiday …”.

Working on potentially having a sticker for cars that regularly cross.

3 Likes

Absolutely devastating for the Gold Coast

1 Like

Also announced that Queenslands will receive a $200 credit on their next electricity bill.

1 Like

A sticker?

Isn’t an interstate number plate an obvious sign that it’s not a local?

3 Likes

However, people who live in NSW will be allowed to regularly come to QLD at border crossings if there is a good reason - work for example and they wouldn’t have QLD licence plates.

3 Likes

Lunchtime 24/3 adjustments, states where figures have updated are in ITALICS…

NATIONALLY: 6677-22577

WA: 440-2840
NSW: 2904-5004
QLD: 1219-3619
SA: 644-3044
VIC: 1195-3295
TAS: 118-2518
ACT: 137-2237
NT: 20 cases either way (again assumed figure ,currently at 5)

There are now 8 deceased, a passenger off the last ship in her 70s passed away. Again not in the age bracket where younger people will take it seriously.

1 Like

I feel sorry for the staff working at Sunraysia Daily. Even though the paper will suspend printing this weekend, surely the paper can keep the website running? It’s not fair to the locals who want to know the latest on the coronavirus outbreak in the region.

Actually, sales of The Daily Telegraph increased over the past week according to The Australian yesterday, and News Corp had to increase the print run each day.

4 Likes

Sorry, I should have clarified, anything you touch in a supermarket, bakery, bank, the traffic light button to cross the road etc carry’s a risk. When I posted my original post, news just broke where I live, that there has been one confirmed case of Covid 19 in the area, everyone in this town is a bit panicky atm, so I wasn’t exactly thinking clearly when I sent my original post!

1 Like

A bit of anxiety is understandable. I’m quite anxious too. But I think we all need to keep calm and not panic. If we take precautions, then there’s a good chance that we will never contract the virus.

11 Likes

Better than good, even in Italy the rate only about 1 in every 1,000. Here it’s about 1 in every 13,000 and rate of serious infections is less than 5%.

Still we can’t be complacent. I can understand the anxiety too, particularly when it’s so close to you.

7 Likes

This is about the first time ive seen a response anywhere in the reverse of scaremongering, and on the more positive side. Agree, its all very serious, but its nice to see some data that reflects the good rather than the constant bad.

8 Likes