COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

I’m a little bit of a sceptic here too. Most of the demographic who live in these postcodes are people who work in industries such as freight, manufacturing, transportation, aged care and education. They all require the need to move around the city.

No sign of panic buying of toilet paper or paper towels here in Yeppoon Central Qld, all stores had heaps of it , except Woolworths thought they had every brand stocked except Quilton oddly Big W in the same shopping centre had Quilton as well as 2 pallets of other brands, and shelves of toilet paper various brands and even stuff on the ground between isles with no room to put it… Pretty sure Quilton is also made in Brisbane not Victoria. Wasn’t even many people out shopping here given it’s apparently school holidays.

2 Likes

I know that and I wouldn’t do it. But can you not see how people are going to get confused? That is my point. The press conference didn’t really explain a lot and it feels like it is just adding confusion to those in those areas. A lot of these areas have people who do not speak English and the communication has just not been effective by the Victorian Government.

Perth’s Skyworks is set to go ahead

1 Like

That’s probably why the rules are coming in tomorrow night and not tonight. They need the time to get the nuts and bolts of it together and to get the message out there.

The Spice Girls Paradigm (as seen on The Project tonight) - everyone’s trying really hard but Victoria’s ruining it for everyone.

I think it’s a case of going back to basics. To get out of this mess we have to fix what’s going on with these lockdowns. So, for the next month or so, don’t go to your gym outside of your locked suburb. Don’t go to work if you don’t have to. Don’t go to Chadstone just because it isn’t locked down.

Just, for now, to fix the issue, stay home. It’s really not that hard.

5 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

That’s about the number I would expect - at least 10% of the country are crackpots who think COVID-19 is a ‘plandemic’. If 100,000 people were tested, that’s actually quite a good number.

I had read rumours that some of the hotel quarantine security staff (mostly out of work nightclub bouncers) were taking the opportunity to root returned travellers who were supposed to be locked in their rooms under quarantine.

2 Likes

They’d be mad if they did. I think you’re going to hear all sorts of crackpot theories.

You don’t need to get that close to catch it. More likely to be hotel staff catching it from travellers and passing it onto security guards. The theory that it spread further through shared cigarette lighters and carpooling would not be unrealistic.

4 Likes

Yeah that remains the problem, the translating for different cultural communities who don’t speak English. I agree with you on that. I think multicultural families would all know some English at some point, it’s usually the kids though as they usually learn it when they come here. I worked with a few of them in my youth work center last year. Their parents were non English, and they did all the translating for the parents and had to teach them the basics. So it’s technically not a lost cause for those who don’t speak english.

But wheres the confusion for others though? You are allowed to leave the house for essentials - work, groceries, medical appointment and exercising. Theres nothing wrong with that.

The specific phrasing that was swirling around was that the Victorian Health Department was aware of “inappropriate mingling” - which I take is a heavily sanitised (pardon the pun) spin on this rumour.

Much like how the former NSW Arts Minister’s hiring of a rent boy to visit him at his Central Coast holiday home in the absolute peak of NSW’s lockdown in late March was reported as him “entertaining a visitor”.

1 Like

That’s the vibe I got too.

There were about 100,000 tests across Victoria in that period but in the suburbs of Keilor Downs and Broadmeadows they aimed to test 50% which is around 10,000 people so yeah around 10% declined. You are probably right and sadly these are the people don’t care and are spreading it in that community. Like that dumbass young guy on the news last week that went viral who wasn’t stopping his life for Coronavirus.

If this is true then I hope these idiots get some severe punishment. The same goes for those in hotel Quarantine though - they know their responsibility to quarantine and if they partook in anything like that are just as to blame. I’ll still say that the more likely scenario is what Jbar mentioned - unauthorised interactions could be anything but obviously working in that environment there are strict protocols and any sort of breach that has caused this outbreak should be punished.

1 Like

The hotel quarantiners were taken out for walks and fresh air. No other state did this. Honestly.

They have the rights to get some fresh air. They can’t stay in their rooms for every second of the 14-day period.

1 Like

South Africa seems to be another growing concern this week. The country had the 4th most increase in new cases over the past 24 hours, behind the USA, Brazil and India.

Yep, seems like another case of new month, new continent that is a concern.

1 Like

And yet only Vic did this, and here we are.

2 Likes

There are significantly more people going through hotel quarantine’s than there are active Coronavirus cases in Victoria and their health is important too. Whether it’s a hotel with an isolated balcony or giving them an allocated time to go to the hotel rooftop for some fresh air / vitamin D it is within their rights. This should be managed properly and very carefully though. There is no word so far that this has been any reason for the spike… seems to be related to staff.

1 Like