COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

At my local Woolworths in Canberra tonight the toilet paper stock was down again. Enough there, but looking a bit sparse compared to what it has been the past few weeks. I think there is a slight panic by some people.

2 Likes

It is driven by people’s fear that the shelves will be empty like last time, not that the supply chain will fail or that supermarkets will close.

1 Like

Irony is up until this week, Coles and Woolworths have been struggling to clear these smaller packs and have had them for well over half price for weeks on end.

Unfortunately this also has the reverse effect of getting people to have to visit supermarkets more often, especially larger families.

1 Like

My local supermarkets (Sydney) have been depleted of toilet paper for the past fortnight. When did they remove the limits? It is nowhere near as bad as March/April but now that the media is reporting on it , it will spark that second wave of panic buying.

First 6 months Covid 19… good clip put together by The AGE/SMH

1 Like

Better to comment about this here than in the 7 News thread.

Can’t believe how many people took offense to Andrews’ offhand comment. Did they expect the Victorian premier to say something along the lines of “Yeah sure, why bother staying in Victoria when you can go to SA”?

1 Like

I just don’t think the state wars has been appropriate throughout this virus. There has been too much of my state vs your state rather than a national response. There has been no consistency and we should be fighting it as a nation rather than a state. Dan Andrews really shouldn’t have made that comment and in fact he should be looking at how other states have dealt with the virus.

4 Likes

I was just thinking about this and agree. At the beginning it was very much about Australia being all in this together but now it just feels like it’s tearing the country apart. We have states refusing to open their borders, then states with borders open making non-constructive comments like Gladys the other day. It feels like some leaders in more privileged parts of the country that had less cases in the first place are looking down on the bigger states with bigger populations. Mind you Victoria is one of the states that took a lot of international travellers from other states and added them to our hotels and tallies (and one of our current outbreaks is in one of these hotels).

Also need to remember that Australia never went for an elimination strategy in the first place and everyone on the federal level are saying that the outbreaks we are seeing in Victoria were always a possibility, so I’d hate to think if NSW or anywhere else gets an outbreak at some point that we treat it the same. I also remember the Federal CHO saying weeks ago that if Australia could sustain around 20 cases per day nationally that would be a good result. We are getting that now and sure most of these cases are in VIC at the moment but the whole country can’t be in this bubble forever. It’s good to hear though that some SA resources are coming to VIC where they are needed - we need more of this.

2 Likes

Totally agree, I’ve seen a few QLD cars down here in NSW and feel like telling them to go home ie. If we are not allowed to enter your state, they shouldn’t be welcome here either.

2 Likes

In New Zealand they have added a new measure for quarantine. Before leaving the 14 day quarantine when returning from overseas they must have a negative test. They will not be allowed to leave quarantine until they test negative. Australia should do the same.

5 Likes

Yes that is a reasonable policy, but sometimes the virus can be as slow as a @turdall to incubate. Obviously no policy is foolproof.

1 Like

They do get tested during quarantine, a friends mum is returning from overseas and around day 10 they test.

But if they are positive they are told to do their quarantine at home after the 14th day. That is the difference.

The USA is having their worst day yet, currently at 39,100 new cases for the day. Their second wave is taking off fast. Dow Jones was down 700 points on speculation of a second mass lockdown.

1 Like

Victoria had 33 new cases today. However Dan Andrews mentioned that community transmission is down by 1 on yesterday which is the number they are most focused on.

A testing blitz is now going to focus on the suburbs where these community transmissions are occurring. They aim to test 50% of those living in Keilor Downs and Broadmeadows over the next 3 days where they will go to the streets and peoples houses. Then they will continue that to a further list of suburbs over the following week where positives have occured. Dan said we should expect numbers to increase in these areas but this is a good thing as they can identify them and isolate them.

5 Likes

commuinty transmission is 7 cases for today and yesterday was 8 cases

1 Like

The blitz will target 10 suburbs: Keilor Downs, Broadmeadows, Maidstone, Albanvale, Sunshine West, Hallam, Brunswick West, Fawkner, Reservoir and Pakenham.

NSW Health Minister, Brad Hazzard, said the NRL and ARL had assured him in a call they would not sell tickets to Victorians.

“If you’re living in NSW and you’re a supporter of Hawthorn — which would have to be questioned anyway — you can go to the games,” he said.

"If you’re a [Melbourne] Storm supporter and you’re a NSW resident you can go.

“But for the time being, the best thing people in the Melbourne hotspots can do … don’t expect to be able to come because they’re not selling tickets to you and we don’t want you to come.”

“And again, I would urge you not to go to Melbourne until the situation is controlled.”

1 Like

Except that it’s not the second wave, its still the first

6 Likes

Its clear that its spreading in a low income demographic areas. Some of these suburbs lack education and don’t speak or understand English.