COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

I think for this reason and others it’s likely that this idea won’t be put in place until everyone 16+ has the opportunity to get a vaccine. It definitely should happen because it serves as incentive for those that are hesitant to get it (alongside international travel hopefully not long after).

3 Likes

did anyone watch the full NSW press conference? did anyone in from the media ask about the dry cleaner not being contacted by the gold standard contact tracers? Pretty outrageous if not.

I am wondering the same thing. I did not see it mentioned. It was mentioned briefly in the Victorian presser but answered very diplomatically. They explained, NSW Health did not have details of this person attending.
He was the father of the woman who hosted the party who had specifically flown interstate to visit. How could the daughter have ‘forgotten’ he was there when providing a list of visitors?
Two likely scenarios could be:
1, the daughter deliberately neglected to disclose everyone at her party, or
2, NSW has made an error with their contact tracing and is covering up their mistake.

Either way, no mention in the mainstream media because they wouldn’t want the ‘gold standard’ to look bad.

3 Likes

Maybe we should open a Sydney Lockdown thread.

1 Like

Old thread re-opened

The couple was fined by NSW Police for visiting the Reading Cinemas in Dubbo on June 2, which was deemed a non-essential activity.

While it’s still a recommendation, I don’t see there is an issue as long as you’ve got informed consent (ie you’ve sought out an AZ jab, been explained and accepted the risks) - no vaccine is without risk, and the likelihood of those risks are small, the benefits of having the AZ vaccine remains much greater than the risk.

If you’re wanting to wait for the vaccine that is recommended for your age group thats fine - but that shouldnt stop people who are willing to make an informed decision from getting the vaccines that are available now if they so desire it

Ahh, I see what you mean

Queensland Health have denied an exemption (see details in the article below), so a woman had to watch her father die via Skype. QLD Health should hang their heads in shame. Absolutely heartless. Whilst it’s great they allowed in the family members of the father in @JohnsonTV’s post above, they must be giving exemptions to all people who have dying family, in my opinion.

It’s a pity their dying family can’t do quarantine with them.

Uh it’s not as easy as that and it sounds like you’d prefer Annastacia Palaszczuk and the whole QLD government to be sacked now. Glad you’re not running any states/territories at the moment.

Whilst I extend my condolences to the family there must’ve been a reason for the exemption to be rejected. Maybe it was because she came from a high risk area (like it or not, UK is still going through local COVID infections in excess of 10000 a day)? With the current situation around the world you can understand governments not taking chances for the greater good.

Probably a good idea not to let your emotional side take over logical thinking and give your bizarre grudge against the QLD government a rest will you?

4 Likes

This is not a Liberal/Labor thing, I’d be saying the exact same thing if it was happening in a Liberal run state such as SA or NSW.

I simply think that Queensland Health should be held accountable for what in my opinion, are poor decisions to not allow family members to visit ill and/or dying relatives in the final stages of their lives. How would you feel if you couldn’t visit a dying relative in the final stages of their life?

I know that Twitter isn’t always the best platform to determine the general view of the population, but you’d notice that just about everyone who has commented on the news reports on twitter in regards to exemptions being denied, just cannot believe how cruel and heartless QLD Health are being.

1 Like

Right and Twitter warriors who say so think they know what’s best? Why not let them run the country if they are the be-all and end-all?

The fact is, the circumstances with this case is tragic but each state has to act in the best interest for the people in the state and in this case it’s most likely she wasn’t meeting the requirements for exemption. Why? We’ll probably never know but I think QLD Health knows what they’re doing when it comes to protecting the community even if it means a form of sacrifice for one person or family.

4 Likes

Actually If we can’t apply humanity to these heartbreaking decisions we’ve lost who we are. This response is completely illogical when real world risk assessment is applied

2 Likes

Australia as a whole has been unnecessarily cruel throughout COVID. We are stuck in 2020 celebrating how well we’ve managed COVID but failed to realise it is 2021 and the world is moving on and opening up. Such a great place to be this little fortress of Australia where we are still separated from the rest of the world and still being separated from family and friends in other states.

This country has to do better.

5 Likes

VIC’s numbers -

1 Like

Victorian health minister Martin Foley said that the new locally acquired case announced this morning was linked to the current outbreak at Kings Park apartment complex at Southbank, and is a household contact. It takes the total number of cases from the Southbank cluster to 12.

https://twitter.com/elizagoetze/status/1408616838477479941?s=20

Update:

More than 1,600 people in three states have been ordered into isolation after a mine worker tested positive to the coronavirus at a mine in the Northern Territory.

The chief minister, Michael Gunner, told reporters the man tested positive on Friday and is believed to have caught the virus while in hotel quarantine in Queensland.

2 Likes

The Granites has one of the greatest geographical spreads of FIFO workers of any mine in this country - flights are chartered to/from Perth, Darwin, Alice Springs and Brisbane several times a week. We’ll be very lucky if there’s no outbreak from this.

1 Like